IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Tirisilex

Where can I get Puranas?

Rate this topic

Padma Purana 10 Vol. Set $ 199.00 plus tax and Shipping.

Narada Purana 5 Vol. Set $ 125.00 "

Bhagavat Purana 5 Vol Set $ 125.00 "

Siva Purana 4 Vol Set $ 90.00 "

Garuda Purana 3 Vol Set $ 75. 00 "

Agnimaha Purana 2 Vol Set $ 108.00 "

Brahmavaivartha Purana 2 Vol Set $ 135.00 "

Vishnu Purana 1 Vol $ 50.00

Oh My I didnt realize there was so many at these prices.

Guest guest

You can get all of these Puraanas much cheaper if you buy them in India, or order them from Indian stores selling them at rupee prices. The dollar-to-rupee exchange rate gives you tremendous buying power in this case.

Nag Publishers publishes all of the major and minor Puraanas in the original Sanskrit. Motilal Banarsidass publishes the "Indian Tradition and Mythology" series which translates, on a verse-by-verse basis, all of the Puraanas published by Nag Publishers. Both Nag and Motilal base their publications on the original texts published by Venkateshwara Steam Press.

I pretty much use them, although I would not say their translations are especially good. But they are as literal as I assume secular scholars are capable of maintaining.

I have read the Nag Publishers' translation into English of

Padma Purana

Kurma Purana

Bhagavata Purana

Varaha Purana

Vamana Purana

Brahma Purana, Linga Purana and Brahmanda Purana

Eventhough their intentions are to be most lauded, in my view the translations have almost completely robbed the originals of their beauty and charm. Of course, one can definitely not keep to the merit of the Sanskrit compositions while going for a translation to English, but what I find bad is the lack of religious feeling in the translation, which one finds so well in the originals. This is just my personal opinion...

Guest guest

You're right - there is definitely a lack of bhakti in those translations. I don't recommend that one read them thinking them to be authoritative. Rather, I recommend that one read them and, combining them with the knowledge one already has of Sanskrit and Srila Prabhupada's presentation of the BhAgavatam, try to understand what is contained therein.

Actually, the best thing is just to read the BhAgavatam, as it is the best among PurAnas and really reveals the essence of VedAnta. However, some devotees might be interested in other PurAnas for research purposes, in which case any translation (including the sterile ones published by MOtilal) would be at least useful. But in that case, get the original Sanskrit by Nag so you won't be a slave to those translations, which are sometimes a little *too* literal. Ultimately, no amount of scholarship can replace mature understanding that is received by a qualified guru.