Guest guest

Hey! I Think I Got a Taste

Rate this topic

Guest guest

By Bhakta Jason Pearson

Posted August 2, 2003

All glories to

Srila Prabhupada!

Hare Krsna! Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

I just wanted to share this with whoever is willing to listen. I have been a devotee for quite a while, and I have done different services in the past, but until last Saturday, I had never distributed a book in my life. I was too scared.

I have always been too concerned with what others would think. What if people recognize me? What if people ask questions that I can't answer? What if everyone shrugs me off? What if I'm no good? What if my efforts don't bear fruit? Then what will Srila Prabhupada think of me?

This is the most important aspect of Srila Prabhupada's mission. It was the mission of his spiritual master and of Bhaktivinode Thakur as well. Who am I to even attempt it?

Thanks to the constant encouragement from several devotee friends (one in particular), I decided to try it. We drove for about an hour to the Lolapalooza Music Festival, and upon arriving, my fingers were sore from chanting so hard on my beads. I was praying so hard to Srila Prabhupada: "Dear Prabhupada, I know that these books have changed my life, and I have faith that they will change the lives of others. But I have no clue how to do this, and I am so scared of failing. I don't want to let you down, so just know that if I can distribute one book or if I can distribute a hundred, I am trying my hardest."

"Okay, you take this side of the parking lot, and I will take the other, and we will meet in the middle. Good luck!"

I filled up my bag with Perfection of Yoga and started off to the first group of kids that I saw. As soon as I opened my mouth I was stuttering. I felt as if this was already over. These kids are going to think I am a total moron.

Before I could explain what the book was, one kid grabbed it. "Oh, man!" he said. "I got this book last summer at another festival. It's so cool!"

Here I am, the devotee, the person who is supposed to be trying to convince them to take a book, and this guy is making the sale for me. Within 15 seconds, the wallets were open and they took three books.

I walked away not only surprised but humbled. I realized that I am not the one distributing the book(s). I am just the vehicle that Srila Prabhupada is using to serve his spiritual master. It could be any number of devotees distributing the book, but someone is working through me.

I also realized that I can't possibly describe the contents of these books with 100 percent accuracy. I have to learn to relate to the people. The book will speak for itself. The more personal I can be when distributing, the more these people will like it.

If they take a book, Krsna has obviously made the arrangement and they are ready to start receiving the knowledge. If they don't take a book, then Krsna is still at the wheel and is letting me know that maybe this person isn't quite ready yet. Regardless, they are always ready to see a smile and know that someone took a few minutes to try to relate to them and reach out. And that is just as priceless.

Surprisingly enough, lots of these kids knew more about the concepts of yoga, meditation, and so on than I had presumed. Once again— humbled.

We were only allowed to stay for an hour before the security said that we shouldn't distribute unless we had permission. So, we left.

I had conquered my fear and learned a lot in the process, and I had successfully distributed about 20 books and received about $18.

Not so bad, I guess, for a first-timer....

Hey, does anyone wanna go on books?

Your humbled servant,

Bhakta Jason Pearson