IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Subala

Coconut oil

Rate this topic

I have a question - coconut oil - if applyed on hair - which effect it has? Does it cool body or heats it up?

I really was looking solution to stop drying up my skin on my head.

PS. may be I shoudl start shaving my head again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coconut oil gets hard in the cold weather. The dandruff is caused by bacteria in your scalp. You need to use some dandruff shampoo and quite scratching your head. Germs and bacteria on your fingertips get into your scalp when your scratch your head. You have to keep your hand off your head and quite scratching your head with your fingers. If you have to scratch your head use a comb.

Just get some dandruff shampoo and use it for a while. The itching and flaking will go away if you keep your fingers off your scalp.

is too weird. There are other oils that are better if you are really wanting to use oils. There is Brahmi oil and Amla oil plus some others.

It is considered dirty for devotees to wear oil on their heads when they sleep and also you are not to wear oils when serving Lord Krsna.

Easier and best is to follow Guruvani's dandruff shampoo suggestion. Ayurvedic Concepts makes a nice one.

Guest guest

why should one not wear oil in the hair whilst serving the Lord. where does it say that?

It says inthe Bhakti Rasamrita Sindhu that one should not enter the temple after putting oil on his body.

Oiling the hair and body is a form of vanity to make oneself more attractive to others. When going to the temple this form of vanity is not be used. It is also forbibben to wear blue or red colored clothing. These bright colors attract attention and is considered vanity. In the temple one is supposed to dress modestly and humbly and not attract attention to oneself by wearing bright colors and oiling the body. It takes attention away from the deities and is a form of pride and envy.

I was surprised to find that a lot of people do not know about that (read "Nectar of Devotion"!!). I even saw a pujari wearing a blue sari once!!

I have also heard that this is because these are favorite colors of Radha and Krsna and should only be worn by Them.

ok let me put it this way.

For last 2 years I have this "dundruff" and tryed about 5 brands of shampoos and dundruff killers....

I do know about pancharatra rules about oil, never carried about this particular rule because I never used any oil on my skin before. Especially while worshipping. I worship temple deities for last 6 years.

But situation is I just got sick and tired and I donm;t think it is dundruff problem but may be some kindof jerm or what not.

So i tried some coconut oil on my head skulp - as much it was not confortable (can't imagine why indian ladies do it) I started using it 3-4 days ago and at least my head doesn;t scratch that much.

So I expect really this oil to kill the gems and repair the skin so Ic an stop using it in a month or so.

PS. before going on altar I do wash hair 2-3 times to get all the oil out.

Try Himalaya (Ayurvedic Concepts) Hair Oil. It is a very light hair oil that can be massaged into the scalp everyday and left on as long as you can before shampooing.

This hair oil contains herbs etc that help to prevent fungal and bacterial scalp infections which will control itching.

It also helps with hair growth, stops falling hair. It penetrates into the scalp and helps at the roots unlike most products that just sit on the hair sliming it up.

Guest guest

Subala,

From what you describe it seems that you may have bacteria on your scalp. you are already going by it in the right way by applying oil. i recommend that 3 hours after you oil your hair apply some natural (home-made if possible) yoghurt to your oily hair. it may feel cold and weird but leave it on for at least half an hour and then wash off.

try it and see if it makes a difference. i've done this and find that it really helps.

Hare Krishna

coconut oil has one unique quality..

it is so thin what it penetrates any surface and any micro organisms which are on that surface are drawned in it. it is natural anti-ceptic substance.

FYI

I went to the Indian store and bought 2 small bottles of Cocunut Oil. Used it about 10 times (half a bottle I think it is 50g bottle - tiny one)

all this scratching and itching went away and dundruff went away in about a 2-3 weeks time.

I still use it but very rarely may be once a week.