IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Krsnanatha

Prabhupada's quite interesting response...

Rate this topic

One of my all time favorite stories of how Srila Prabhupada handled a particular situation came from a friend who is a senior disciple of His Divine Grace. At the time that this exchange took place he was in a position of responsibility which gave him regular access to Srila Prabhupada.

The devotee was travelling by air with Prabhupada and a couple of other disciples. When they landed at the airport they were of course greeted by the local Vaisnava community.

My friend was driving back to the temple in a separate car with one of the temple administrators when this manager began telling a laundry list of problems the local Temple President was having. Kind of a you name it, he is doing it list as far as uncontrolled senses. He begged my friend to bring this issue up to Srila Prabhupada as it had become a severe controversy within the community.

Later when the opportunity arose this devotee began repeating to Srila Prabhupada the long story he had been told about this temple leader and the alleged improprieties connected to his behavior. Prabhupada listened without a word or interruption for about twenty minutes until my friend had exhausted the story.

At this point Prabhupada looked at him and said:

"There are stories about you also."

Ultimately Srila Prabhupada dealt with the issue of the local temple leader but the point he made to this Prabhu is obvious and quite teaching.

Guest guest

The moral of this story rather is: Don't critcize others unless you have the qualification to do so. Gossip is a minor thing (technically called Gramya Katha) compared to criticizing others. Conditioned souls have the tendency to reflect their own imperfections upon others, so they don't have to see their own gruesome image in the mirror of their minds. Always giving respect to others, especially Vaisnavas, is the primary characteristic of a devotee of the Lord. If this quality was upheld by all practicing devotees, they could turn their own hearts and the whole world into Vaikunthaloka! This is my humble opinion. Haribolo...

John Lennon got it quite right in this song:

"I am you and you are me and we are altogether."

F.Nietzche got it even better:

"You are yourself the cause of one's mistake, if you won't help one to overcome it"

We should look at others as upon ourselves. And also take the mockery and humiliation as an illusion's of the ones, who mock us for presenting Krishna.