IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Mxyzptlk

Srila Prabhupada desired to work conjointly, in cooperation

Rate this topic

Srila Prabhupada desired to work conjointly, at the beginning of his mission as well as during his final manifest days. This was his desire, and he stated so quite clearly. Those who consider themselves followers of Srila Prabhupada should respect his desires. The purpose of his founding the Bhaktivedanta Charity Trust is described in his own words:

"In keeping with the spirit of the previous acarya's vision of Gaudiya-Madhva sampradaya, to cement relations with all the sister temples of Gaudiya-Madhva sampradaya under one banner, to solidify preaching the message of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, as desired by His Divine Grace Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Prabhupada and Srila Thakura Bhaktivinoda and all the previous acaryas in this line." (Room Conversation, Vrindaban, October 29, 1977, 771029RC.VRN)

About a week later, still discussing the Bhaktivedanta Charity Trust, he said: We want co-operation." (Room conversation, Vrndavana, 6 November 1977)

Shortly before his Disappearance he said: "Srila Prabhupada (Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati) said that we should preach in Europe, America. That was his desire, and his other desire was that we all work together jointly to preach". "Yes, that is right" said Narayana Maharaja. "I didn't waste a single moment" said Srila Prabhupada "I tried my best, and it has been successful to some extent". Srila Prabhupada's voice was choked with emotion. "If we work conjointly" he continued, "then as Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said prthivite...sankirtana has great possibilities. My life is coming to an end. It is my desire that you all forgive me for my mistakes... (Srila Prabhupada Lilamrta, Vol 6, p.399-401)

During the earlier years of his worldwide Movement, this same desire was expressed:

"So far as I am concerned, I am always for co-operation. If we can co-operate, we can do tremendous service for Lord Caitanya in the matter of propagating the mission of Lord Caitanya very nicely. I am prepared to co-operate with the Gaudiya mission wholeheartedly. Soon you can negotiate about our amalgamation on a co-operatively basis, it will be great service to Srila Prabhupada." Letter to Dr Syamasundardas Brahmacari, 5-9-69

It is best that we try to understand any differences he had with his Godbrothers with a cool head. In several places he referred to these differences as simply "differences of opinion." For instance:

"So far as your question about controversy amongst the disciples of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Goswami Maharaja, that is a fact. But this controversy is not material. Just like in a national program, different political parties are sometimes in conflict and make propaganda against each other, but their central point is always service to the country. Similarly, amongst the disciples of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati there may be some controversy, but the central point is how to preach the mission of His Divine Grace. If the central point is fixed up then there is no harm in such controversy. Every individual being must have his opinion; that is the significance of individuality, but all such differences of opinions must coincide in Krishna. Letter to: Mandali Bhadra : 69-07-28 Los Angeles

I know I've already posted this once, but I believe that these words of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati are quite relevant:

"Those, whose judgement is made of mundane stuff, being unable to enter into the spirit of the all-loving controversies among pure devotees, due to their own want of unalloyed devotion, are apt to impute to the devotees their own defects of partisanship and opposing views." Sri Brahma samhita p.72

Prabhupada wanted his Godbrothers to cooperate with ISKCON and the GBC but all he got was resisitance, suppression, compression and depression.

They will never cooperate with ISKCON. All they have done and will do is resist, reject and rebuke the managing authority of ISKCON.

It is not ISKCON that is refusing to cooperate with them. It is them refusing to cooperate with the authority Prabhupada established in ISKCON.

Take not also that the "LILAMRITA" is shastra, it was never authorized by Prabhupada and was written against the express permission of Srila Prabhupada. It's contents can never be used as authoritative reference like shastra.

And these few short obscure, non-shastric quotes from Prabhupada do not override all the letters and statements Prabhupada made about his Godbrothers over the years. He wanted to try and divert any attempt of his Godbrothers to undermine ISKCON after his departure so he tried to say some things and do some things that would minimize the ongoing conflict.

It is offensive to try and undermine all the written, explicit and direct orders of Srila Prabhupada to his disciples by using something he said privately to his Godbrothers.

Where does Prabhupada say that all his previous insructions on this matter are now nul and void? He never did.

Your arguments are very week and based upon out-of-context statements and presumption. If Prabhupada wanted all his previous insructions to his disciples to be nullified on this matter he would have made it very clear.

You are attempting to override the instructions that Prabhupada gave quite forcefully, explicity and directly to his disciples by using these out of context references from unauthorized sources. It is an abuse of Prabhupada's words and a sorry excuse for allowing the Gaudiya Math leaders to come into ISCKON, undermine the GBC authority, contradict Srila Prabhupada and initiate ISKCON devotees as their own.

COOPERATE means; YOU OPERATE your own mission, I OPERATE my own mission and respecting each others right to do so is cooperation.

"And these few short obscure, non-shastric quotes from

Prabhupada do not override all the letters and statements Prabhupada made about his Godbrothers over the years....

by using these out of context references from unauthorized sources. It is an abuse of Prabhupada's words ..."

Pick and choose. Trying to obscure Prabhupada's clear words and desires in this matter just won't work. His words are self-effulgent. You may as well try to paint the sun black.

Your interpretation of the above reveals your dishonesty in the matter.

You seem to so locked into this mode that any meaningful communicaion with you is impossible. I'm sorry for that.

Be well,

Hare Krsna

If the central point is fixed up then there is no harm in such controversy. Every individual being must have his opinion; that is the significance of individuality, but all such differences of opinions must coincide in Krishna. Letter to: Mandali Bhadra : 69-07-28 Los Angeles

In this letter Prabhupada admits that there is a controversy between him and his Godbrothers and says "there is no harm in it".

The controversy is ongoing. The central point is Krishna. There is no harm in this controversy. KEEP THE CONTROVERSY ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets take the opening post of this thread point by point.

(1) In the first reference where Prabhuapda is speaking of cooperation he is speaking excplicity in regards to the Bhaktivedanta Charity Trust. It is through this agency that Prabhupada wanted to show his willingness to cooperate with his Godbrothers. He is in no way saying that he wants his Godbrothers to become amalgamated into ISKCON as acharyas of ISKCON.

This use of Prabhupada's instructions in regards to the Bhaktivedanta Charity Trust to try and assert that he is saying that he wants to amalgamate his Godbrothers into ISKCON is a very sorry manipulation of Prabhupada's words in an effort to undermine all his previous instructions on this matter. It is offensive and misconceived.

(2)"We want cooperation". This is clearly in reference to cooperation in the context of the Bhaktivedanta Charity Trust and in no ways intends to amalgamate the Godbrothers into ISKCON as acharyas and gurus.

again, a sorry effort to distort the meaning of Prabhupada's words.

(3)Prabhupada asked his Godbrothers to forgive his mistakes. Narayana Maharaja made it clear that Prabhupada had done nothing wrong to be forgiven for. He said he wanted to work conjointly with his Godbrothers, but the fact is they have never agreed to that and to this day are still opposing the innovations Prabhupada made in establishing a world order of devotees.

(4) The next reference means nothing. It was superceded later when Prabhupada found out the kind of venom his disciples were getting in their efforts to get the Godbrothers to support Prabhupada's efforts and endorse him and encourage him. They never did.(except for Sridhar Maharaja)

(5)" If the central point is fixed up then there is no harm in such controversy. Every individual being must have his opinion; that is the significance of individuality, but all such differences of opinions must coincide in Krishna. Letter to: Mandali Bhadra : 69-07-28 Los Angeles"

Prabhupada admits to the conroversy and says "there is no harm in it".

(6)"Those, whose judgement is made of mundane stuff, being unable to enter into the spirit of the all-loving controversies among pure devotees, due to their own want of unalloyed devotion, are apt to impute to the devotees their own defects of partisanship and opposing views." Sri Brahma samhita p.72"

Yes, being unable to accept that there is a controversy between Prabhupada and his Godbrothers, and trying to make it out to be "ALL ONE" is a very mundane approach to a very transcendental rivalry.

"Guruvani": (5)" If the central point is fixed up then there is no harm in such controversy. Every individual being must have his opinion; that is the significance of individuality, but all such differences of opinions must coincide in Krishna. Letter to: Mandali Bhadra : 69-07-28 Los Angeles"

Prabhupada admits to the conroversy and says "there is no harm in it".

What he means is that the disagreements between him and his godbrothers is harmless because it's centered on details of how to serve Krishna. He was letting Mandalibhadra know that he should not concern himself with these controversies, not encouraging him to engage in them. He certainly never instructed us to criticize his Godbrothers, and most devotees understand from his "The war is over" comment that he intended that we let the old controversies go. The culture of vaishnava aparadha has not served us (or the Lord) well.