IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

What is it?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What is a Shivling? What does it represent? Can somebody please tell me about it?

Lingam= penis... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Yoni= Vagina... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Please, don't take this in a bad way, I DON"T KNOW ANY OTHER WAY OF EXPLAINING THIS.

Because shiva is also the god of fertility his penis is worshipped.

The Shiv-ling is actually a Sexual Congress between Shiva, and Shakthi (his wife). Showing both sexual organs.

It is not disgusting or anything. This western culture that we live in today makes it "disgusting" or "idiotic".

It is said that once upon a time , he was worshipped, not his body parts, but because of a curse by a very famous Yogi saint... He is not worshipped but his sexual congress is worshipped.

Interesting can you eleborate or refer where is story comes from - about curse....

There must be a reason... Like generally/commonly Hanuman deity painted red in Sindhu because of story from Ramayana, if one doesn;t know the story it may seems very confusing why hanuman is all red....!

So can anyone quote the story and refer to some purana, if possible, where this story comming from...

I don't know what purana it is , but I will be frank with you.

Some relative of mine told me the story when I went to India. It is quite prominent in Tirupathi.

Tirumala and Tirupathi story is very different. It is about Vishnu coming down to the earth so that he can please his devotees.

He does not come down to the earth by himself though, Laxmi leaves him, so he runs after her.

Laxmi in south India is considered the care taker for us souls.

We are in Laxmi's heart and Laxmi is in Vishnu's heart.

The story however is the story of Vishnu, it is probably in Vishnu purana... may be i am not sure.

But I could post my own version of the story here... if you want. I know it, but then again, you wouldn't want to trust a kid like me /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, you can search it here www.tirumala.org

Once upon a time , Narada muni goes to earth and sees all the hellish conditions people live in.

Then , he goes back to space and says! hey I got an idea! I will make Vishnu come down on earth ! this will be a great game.

He then asks a Muni to go visit the three Trinities because they invited him or something.

Then the Muni (A very powerful one) goes to Brahma, there brahma is meditating , so he does not welcome the muni in!

So, the muni curses him and says no one will ever worship brahma!

He then visits shiva loka, there Shiva is too busy with romanticizing with Shakthi, so the muni curses that people will only worship his linga!

And then he goes to Vaikunta, there Mr . Big guy himself sleeps on a snake in the milky ocean. Then the Muni is angered! because he is not welcomed appropriately, so He kicks Vishnu in his chest!.

But Laxmi is in Vishnu's chest! She gets angry! really really angry! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

But being God himself, Vishnu knows how to relieve the false ego of one of his devotees. So, he goes and grabs the Muni's feet!. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Then, asks for forgiveness /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Laxmi is really really mad now /images/graemlins/mad.gif

then Vishnu knows a secret. All of the Muni's power is in his feet, his ego is also in his feet. So, he presses his feet really hard and takes out all the Ego and also the power of the muni.

The Yogi, then falls to his feet and says , "Oh my god! , I have kicked my beloved vishnu in his chest!, How fallen i am " and asks for forgiveness.

Then Vishnu really simply forgives him!

Now laxmi is really mad!, because first, Vishnu lets the Muni kick her when she is in Vishnu's heart. /images/graemlins/mad.gif , then he grabs the guys feet /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif , then he just forgives him with out punishing him for his misbehavior /images/graemlins/mad.gif

In her anger, she says " Forget yoU! , I am going to go and tell my mother about this!"

(Her mother is earth, and oh yes, this is all a game for them)

Then, she leaves!. Vishnu then runs after her calling "Priye, Priye! don't leave me!"... with tears in his eyes. She leaves him, and he comes to earth searching for her.

Even though he comes to earth looking for laxmi, he forgets all about his Godliness and starts meditating for his beloved.

.........then the srinivasa story begins...