IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why is Krishna blue and wear a peacock feather ?

Rate this topic

Why is the Sky Blue?

Here's an exchange that took place in Los Angeles on January 8, 1968, after

Srila Prabhupada's lecture on Caitanya Caritamrta:

Guest: I have a question. I was wondering why Krsna is always portrayed as being

blue.

Prabhupada: Why the sky is blue? Can you explain?

Guest: Because the sky is blue?

Prabhupada: Yes, why the sky is blue? First of all, you try to explain this.

This you are seeing every day. Can you explain? You don't? You cannot? Sky is

blue! That's all! Therefore it is blue. Krsa is blue! Therefore He's blue.

Guest: But His consort, His consort is not blue.

Prabhupada: Sky is the reflection of Krsna's bodily effulgence; therefore it is

blue.

Guest guest

>>Prabhupada: Yes, why the sky is blue? First of all, you try to explain this. This you are seeing every day. Can you explain? You don't? You cannot? Sky is blue! That's all! Therefore it is blue. Krsa is blue! Therefore He's blue.

Blue sky: short explanation

Blue light gets scattered (spread) around much more than all the other colors from the sun, causing the sky to appear blue.

Blue sky: a more detailed explanation

Light is made up of electromagnetic waves.

The distance between 2 crests in this wave is called the wavelength.

White light contains all the colors of the rainbow.

The amount of light scattered for any given colour depends on the wavelength of that colour.

All the colors in white light have different wavelengths.

Red light has the longest wavelength.

The wavelength of blue light is about half that of red light.

This difference in wavelength causes blue light to be scattered nearly ten times more than red light. Lord Rayleigh studied this phenomena in detail. It is caused the Tyndall effect or Rayleigh scattering.

Lord Rayleigh also calculated that even without smoke and dust in the atmosphere, the oxygen and nitrogen molecules would still cause the sky to appear blue because of scattering.

When blue light waves try to go straight through an oxygen and nitrogen molecules, its light is scattered in all directions because of this collision.

This scattered blue light is what makes the sky blue.

All other colors (with longer wavelengths than blue light) are scattered too.

Blue light's short wavelength causes it to be scattered the most.

(The shorther the wavelength of the color, the more that color gets scattered by the atmosphere)

Actually, violet has the shortest wavelength of all colors. Violet is scattered even more than blue light. However, our eyes are much more sensitive to see blue than violet, therefore we see the sky as blue.

Very little visible light is absorbed by the atmosphere.

Blue sky: summary

Blue light's short wavelength causes it to get scattered around 10 times more by oxygen and nitrogen molecules than the longer wavelengths (like red) of the other colors visible to us.

The blue in the sky we see is scattered blue light.

http://www.why-is-the-sky-blue.org/why-is-the-sky-blue.html

Guest guest

The same question was asked by a renowned spiritual leader to Dr.Rajgopalachari when he was in his school days. Then Dr. Rajagopalachari replied, "Blue signifies Infinity- the infinite sky" and lord Krishna is so - Infinite. The renowned spiritual leader was none other than Swami Vivekanannda.

The peacock feather contains all the seven colours in it. The entire universe is covered by akasha(ether) which appears blue in day times and black in night. So lord Krishna is identified by both the colours 'Blue' & 'Black'.Krishna paksha in Indian calender means the days that follow after Full-moon day till the New-moon day i.e, the darker phase of 14 days of the moon. Further, he wears the peacock feather which signifies that the entire range of colours (we mortal beings) is in him. In virtue he is colourless but in the day he appears blue, black in the night to our vision and in between make us discuss all this multi-coloured multi-perceptional views.

For further feedbacks & comments please mail at rajbhatts@indiatimes.com

And then I realized that is HOW Krsna does blue sky - not WHY He does blue sky. Just more mercy from our dearest friend. His mercy is all around us. Within and without. Not even Maya herself can hide our Lord's mercy from us.

Guest guest

SB 10.13.46. Then, while Lord Brahma looked on, all the calves and the boys tending them immediately appeared to have complexions the color of bluish rainclouds and to be dressed in yellow silken garments.

Not exactly blue, nor black... a color we can't really describe because of our imperfect eyes.

3.4.7. The Lord's body is blackish, but is eternal, full of bliss and knowledge, and very, very beautiful.

Interesting no? it is said 'but' is sat-cit-ananda which is the true color of Krishna

Guest guest

I'm sorry the verse from the 10th canto is not the one I wanted, here it is

10.3.10 Dressed in yellow, His body blackish like a dense cloud, His scattered hair fully grown, and His helmet and earrings sparkling uncommonly with the valuable gem Vaidurya, the child, decorated with a brilliant belt, armlets, bangles and other ornaments, appeared very wonderful.

Now blackish and before bluish... but always 'very wonderful'

Krishna is also called RATNABAHU because his arms look like they were carved out of sapphire. The Sapphire is a somewhat translucent dark blue gem.

If we think of Krishna as looking like he was carved out of a large sapphire gem, we can get a picture of what his color and form looks like.

There is one book by Sri Rupa Goswami called Ujjvala Nilamani. If I am correct this means "brilliant dark blue gem". This is what Krisha appears like.

Look around!, he is all over the place /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I did get the understanding that prabhupada wishes his questioner to see.

That is, Sky is blue, and Krishna is blue, Krishna is blue because he wants to remind you of him when ever you look at the sky in this world.

When he is painted as a black flute bearer, it is for the same reason, that is he wants to remind you of him when you see the sky at night.

Yogis are not dumb people trying to follow some figure out of imagination. they are very clever. So, they make krishna look blue or black so that the living entities might see krishna's image, and then see the sky and be in bliss of remembering krishna all day long .

Well, that is the case for me. When ever I see the sky, I see the beautiful image of krishna in my mind.

Guest guest

Krsna's color is part of him being the attractive personality. The peacock represents the rainbow of colors that is part of his opulence. The animals are all his friends and the peacock is no different. Knowing the peacock represents Krsna inspired me to but a meditation stone to remember the Supreme Personality with.

Guest guest

Guest, your explanation is how the sky is blue, not why.

Why must be explained in terms of motives or intentionality.

Guess Guest

I saw on another post here how Prabhupada said the scientists often confused cause and effect.

Hare Krsna Prabhus,

My initiation guru once on a morning walk pointed at the sky and said "that is the color of Krsna"(saying that Prabhupada would also do this) it was a dark sky with blue hue.

Now my young daughter and I always point out this hue, we see sometimes and are reminded of Krsna, the goal of life. /images/graemlins/grin.gif