IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
JoanAlberta

Are madhvas allowed to have sex?

Rate this topic

If you mean by madhva - the Madhvacarya sampradaya from Udupi....?

Best place to ask this is from madva temple priest or temple president.

There is no sex for recreation... only for procreation.

But..... you can't expect all people don't follow it, only very serious do.

Guest guest

sex is not good for our spiritual life, but sooo difficult to overcome... i'm in this case, too... but.... don't worry too much about it. felling guilty all the time doesnt help. In Brahmacharia in KC, Prabhupad says to his one of his disciple (this is an exerpt from one of His letter) that it is not so horrible, and that is is not a discalification... He said to keep on chanting and worshiping the deities. i'll be frank, i'm initiated (harinama), i have sex with my girlfriend... we're going to marry this summer, and i try to regulate... if you're doing 8 times a month, try 6, if 6, try four... what can we say, a lot of devotees have sex... i think the best is first to try to do with the same person, then to try to regulate... 4 times a month is easy to most of the people, then ,when you grow old, you can gradually diminish... but i think we should blame people for having sex, it is not easy... and what about the gay people, i know a bunch of gay devotees and it's very difficult for them to feel comfortable in KC because of that guilt and strong preaching all around... like my friend says: "if you think God doesnt love you because you have sex, you have to reinterpret your conception of who God is"

i think he's right, try your best, and progress on the path... that's the goal. love God,and 1st try to be a good husband/wife, a good boy/girldfriend, be a gentleman, even if you have your shortcomings...

Martin Luther King was a great man, even if he had a lot of sex affairs... the devas have temptations... do you think you're better than a deva !?

God loves you, do what you can do... try to change what you can change and to accept what you can't change... (AA)

Peace

Sunanda

I'd say that a practicing Vaisnava would avoid sex outside of marriage. The only question is how strict is this individual. You mention that he works at a temple, so it is likely he would be more strict than a casual temple goer. Thats my thinking.

Of course he is dating a westerner. My understanding is that Madhvas tend to be very caste conscious. The fact that he is dating someone who is not an indian brahmin woman, would suggest he may be more liberal. Can't really say.