IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

why do women cover their heads?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

why does a woman have to cover head?

Does anybody know under what circumstances a woman should cover her hair/head and when. Is there any Vedic evidence to support this, as far as I am aware a lady should cover her hair only after marriage.

Thanking respondents in advance.

Hari Haribol

My understanding, historically (from an older native of India) is that the tradition of Hindu women covering their heads is rooted in social tradition not Vedic. The Hindus originally adopted the policy to pacify Muslims who considered extreme modesty of women to be a very serious aspect of their religion. It was a conciliation which showed from one side to the other that despite a distinct difference in spiritual tradition, some social compromise can be made to keep peacefulness and coexistence the status quo. This assertion is further evidenced by the fact the tradition becomes less and less prevalent and in many cases completely discarded as one travels toward deeper portions of South India where Muslim invasions were either absent or never as successful as in the North.

The generally peaceful cohabitation of these two huge religions within India is truly a nice model for certain other violent, intolerent and unforgiving (so-called) religious cultures making headlines playing "Red Ant versus Black Ant" with one another.

Having said all of that I am sure by now there is some specific proceedure and rules governing the practice of women of the Vedic tradition covering their heads but I would contend it is based primarily on social and geographically issues and less on something one might find specifically addressed in the Puranas.

Haribol !

In south india - hindu women never cover head like the north indians , i learnt from my mom that it considered as unaspeciaous also.

So i suppose it would have raised in the middle age and not from vedic period.

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala

Srivats

Guest guest

Thankyou for your kind replies.

i have also heard that in south India they do not cover their heads.

so as far as you are aware there is no Vedic reason as to why women cover their heads.

Do you perhaps know if SP has spoken about this matter within the Iskcon movement?

Please accept my humble obeisances to all the readers & all glories to Srila Prabhupada !!

Covering the head with a "saree" or a "dupatta" is done by the women, in order to show respect.

Generally Women cover their head either in front of their elders or when they go to temple in order to show respect to the deties.

Even the men are not suppose to exhibit their hairs in front of deties, & that is the reason why vaishnavas don't keep hairs, but only a shikha, It is not only in Sanatan dharam(Hinduism), but almost in all the religion, say Sikh, muslims & also in Christianity, See the john Pope he too wears a small cap, because showing the hairs to the deties in inauspicious, & covering the head is HIGHLY AUSPICIOUS.

But now in hinduism many people hesitate to tonsure their head & to keep a shikha, because they feel that they won't look good with only a shikha.

Now somebody earleir said that it has come from muslims, For his kind information let me tell him, "Parda pratha", the covering of the face along with the head has come from muslim religion & not the COVERING OF HEAD.

Just look at the attire of the Braj people, people from Vrindavan, they don't wear saree, but "ghaghra" & "chunari"

The chunari is wore in such a way that it is used only to cover the head, & the gopi also used to wear the same attire, its not the muslims have introduced that dress code, & we hindus are following it till date, that also only in the Braj region.

Hope the misconceptions which you were having have been cleared, Please let me know if you still have any doubt on this.

Hari Bol,

Sushil

Hariom !

yeah i know its to show the humbleness , but jus that its not followed in south indian hindu , especially in brahmin ladies,

Only widows wear saree to cover thier head.

I still feel these are got in between ages and nothing to do with vedic culture.

Srivats

Guest guest

ONly after the invasion of mugals this practice started in India. Mugal women basically cover their face for safety reasons since polygamy is permitted for them and no man wants other man to find his wife attractive. after invasion of mugals, anytime women were under threat of getting kidnapped and raped by those muslims and hence to protect themselves they started covering themselves for two reasons. one to show themselves that they too are muslims so that they dont face any religious torture and other is for safety to escape from the pigs. In southern india, since mugals did not influence much, the practice is not in exisistence at any time even in the past and its considered inauspicious to cover the head. Here they cover it not to show their face when they become a widow so that no other man will find them attractive after their husband passed away.

So basically this habit is not mentioned in vedas. In fact during ancient period women had more liberty and safety than during the mugal period.

regards

Shyam

Srivats,

Let me tell you one thing, If a particular thing is not followed in south india, It doesn't mean that it is not a part of vedic culture, & the vice-versa.

There are many rituals which are followed in south india but not in north india, similarly there are many rituals which are followed in north india, but not in south india.

So just because covering of head is not followed in south india, doesn't mean that, it is not a part of vedic culture, Pls. go through my previous post, read it carefully, & then come to a conclusion.

Don't argue just for the sake of arguing, As our Acharya's said, If one is having any doubt, One should enquire submissively, but still if you wish to argue on the present topic, there is no end for such type of arguement.

I am extremely sorry Srivats, If you have been hurt, Please forgive me for my harsh word.

Hari Bol,

Sushil

Guest guest

Yes your words sound harsh as though you are an authority in vedas and shastras. IF you can quote from something like that then i shall beleive you. Until then lets leave the topic aside. IN course of so many centuries there is certainly a chance of mixing up of cultures. Vedas dates back to atleast not less than 2500 BC. Just because you follow certain rules, that does not mean you can talk authoritatively, putting down someone, especially when you are talking withuot any proper evidence.

There is every chance that covering the head would have come after vedic period due to mixing up of cultues. I am also from Northern India only and I too know the shastras and I am a person who look up things without any discriminatin of stupid differences of south and north which many of we north indians have.

haribol !

Dear Sunil , please accept my humble words on this , I have gone through your posting thrice, and never meant to argue in that.

I posted exactly what i felt and i didnt denay that it cannot be a fact. If my posting was meant that way , i am really sorry for hurting you.

I feel there can be more than one idea on a same subject and afterall we are all from different places, born and brought up in differnet ways, hencce different of opinion always be there ( guess otherwise world will not go on )

We are like flowers of different colours and smell and yet put together in Garland to suit our lords shoulder.

All for one , One for all !

Srivats

For the sake of this exchange, I want to make it clear I am repeating the presentation of a particularly schooled individual from India (and for the record Northern India) in my reply. I am for the record, a fool American, on my best day a chandala who was born with a pork chop dangling from my mouth. I do not want to seem to be representing myself as an authority but merely repeating the representations of a person who is a Vaisnava and who from a mundane level is a college educated individual whose specialized area of study was history.

Guest guest

whay it bothers you?

you can keen you head or any other part uncovered.

we dont mind.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

Hari bol Srivats,

I am happy that you took in +ve way, & yes I was not at all hurt, especially when a Vaishnava chastises me, & that also when a person like u who comes from a pure brahminical family.

I am not saying that I am the authority, but I posted what I have heard from others.

As you said, "We are like flowers of different colours and smell and yet put together in Garland to suit our lords shoulder"

I liked that sentence.

Your Servant,

Sushil

Hari bol Srivats,

I am happy that you took in +ve way, & yes I was not at all hurt, especially when a Vaishnava chastises me, & that also when a person like u who comes from a pure brahminical family.

I am not saying that I am the authority, but I posted what I have heard from others.

As you said, "We are like flowers of different colours and smell and yet put together in Garland to suit our lords shoulder"

I liked that sentence.

Your Servant,

Sushil

Guest guest

In Judaism, men and women must be modest (including covering hair) in their appearance for 2 major reasons:

1. There should not be sexual competition among the members of the community. Sexual competition is a human instinct which may motivate people to act in ways that may be detrimental to the community. (May breach actual existing relationships)

2. Men and women must refrain from awakening sexual desires in other members of the community, in order, again, to protect legitimate and lawful relationships, and to maintain the stability of the community.

Guest guest

it is a vedic custom, not a prescription from any scripture.

in the times of muslim barbaric rules in india,

head covering helped to not draw attention of the lusty muslim authorities.

it also helps to protect from sun and rain, and flies, etc.

in families, a wife would cover head in presence of the elders of her husband;

and always in public if she is not born in the village/city.

if a woman feels shy, she covers the face with her sari over the head.

head covering shows humbleness and obedience,

and shows respect for those elders and authorities.

it also means she does not want to talk/argue.

however, some do argue with head and face fully covered, if that becomes necessary.

one has to live in india to know all this and understand it.

head covering custom is reducing, now a days.

jai sri krishna! -madhav

Guest guest

I think it's interesting that conservative Muslim, Jewish and Christian women are also encouraged to keep their heads covered (I can give quotes if necessary as I researched this once), just as Srila Prabhupada did. Whether it's Vedic or not, I have no clue, but Srila Prabhupada has made it clear that he is expecting us Hare Krsna female devotees to cover our heads as shown in the quotes below. There is also a book on Vaisnava Etiquette that is due out soon by Bhakti Vikasa Swami that I recall explains why as well.

Wedding Ceremony, Boston, 5/6/69

Cover the head. Cover the head and give her this red. Cover it nicely. You see, here. You should keep your wife always covered. (laughter) Don’t allow this miniskirt or minishirt. (laughter) According to Vedic civilization, respectable woman cannot be seen even by the sun. Asuryam pasyat. How can you avoid sun? But it is said like that. The sun will find difficulty to see one man’s woman. Yes. Asuryam pasyat. Asuryam. Surya means the sun. Sun cannot. Sun will also hanker after her: “How can I see that woman?” (chuckles) So woman should be always in privacy. They should be respectfully protected by the husband and the father. That is the way.

Morning Walk conversation 1/22-23/76, Mayapura:

Tamala Krsna: The question I’ve had is that in the pictures they always show her head. She is bareheaded. She doesn’t cover her head. And I noticed the thing that when we’re sometimes passing in a car in Bengal I notice that the women, very often, they don’t... It’s more in this state than anywhere else, they don’t cover their head. Is that due to her influence?

Prabhupada: No, no. The system is when the woman is at the care of father she does not cover. But when she is under the care of husband she must cover. By dress you can understand what she is, whether she is widow, whether she has got husband, whether she is prostitute. Everything by dress you’ll understand. Nowadays the fashion is the woman has the bakan(?) simanta here, not here.

Guest guest

>Is there any Vedic evidence to support this, as far as I >am aware a lady should cover her hair only after marriage.

My feelings are that any girl post-puberty should also cover her head and not just married women. In the "old" days women got married much earlier, and therefore all teenage girls probably had their heads covered as well.

This assertion is further evidenced by the fact the tradition becomes less and less prevalent and in many cases completely discarded as one travels toward deeper portions of South India where Muslim invasions were either absent or never as successful as in the North.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. Still the covering of the head, whether Vedic or not, is a nice symbol of chastity I think.

Guest guest

Is it true that the only reson that the musluim wear over their head is because of marriage and the men have to grow out their beards and the women have to cover their hole heads!!!!!!!!!1

Guest guest

well do you know if there it is true that only married women had to cover thier heads and that men had to grow their beards all the way out!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest

Poojya fellow devotees,

I am a devotee of Lord Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha. I visited many of his temples in and around my place.

Please e-mail me to share the details of the Nrisimha temples seen at both our sides and exchange photos and the temple locations, history and Kshetra Mahatmyamam etc.

my id id sarisetty@hotmail.com

Regards.

Prasad.

Women covering their heads is simply modest. Even in the Bhagavatam a woman's hair becoming loose is often a sign of ignited passion like her dress becoming slackened.

It has really become overblown IMO.