IndiaDivine.org
gHari

Was Mad Max Right All Along? The Parallel Universe

Rate this topic

OK, putting aside the science (and aspects of the big bang theory which don't add up) for a moment, what is the *theological* opposition to the big bang theory? I know Srila Prabhupada was very much against the idea that creation appeared by chance, and this carried over to disdain of the big bang theory.

However, as I've mentioned once before on this forum, we see in Srimad Bhagavatam a description of creation that very much parallels the big bang. http://vedabase.net/sb/1/10/21/

They said: Here He is, the original Personality of Godhead as we definitely remember Him. He alone existed before the manifested creation of the modes of nature, and in Him only, because He is the Supreme Lord, all living beings merge, as if sleeping at night, their energy suspended.

and, from the purport:

There are two types of dissolution of the manifested cosmos. At the end of every 4,320,000,000 solar years, when Brahmā, the lord of one particular universe, goes to sleep, there is one annihilation. And at the end of Lord Brahmā's life, which takes place at the end of Brahmā's one hundred years of age, in our calculation at the end of 8,640,000,000 x 30 x 12 x 100 solar years, there is complete annihilation of the entire universe, and in both the periods both the material energy called the mahat-tattva and the marginal energy called jīva-tattva merge in the person of the Supreme Lord. The living beings remain asleep within the body of the Lord until there is another creation of the material world, and that is the way of the creation, maintenance and annihilation of the material manifestation.

and:

This Mahā-Viṣṇu is the plenary portion of the Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa, who is mentioned in the Brahma-saḿhitā as follows:

"Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto the original Personality of Godhead, Govinda, whose plenary portion is the Mahā-Viṣṇu. All the Brahmās, the heads of the universes, live only for the period of His exhaling, after the universes are generated from the pores of His transcendental body." (Brahma-saḿhitā 5.58)

Can somebody reconcile this for me? It sure sounds like the big bang, but with Vishnu as the source of all.

By the way, I don't get the Mad Max reference. Mad Max was set in the future, but wasn't really science fiction. I believe the original poster was referring to: Buckaroo Banzai. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/)

Guest guest

Perhaps not so much a big bang but an expanding and contracting universe with Maha-Visnu inhaling and exhaling?

Perhaps not so much a big bang but an expanding and contracting universe with Maha-Visnu inhaling and exhaling?

Huh? My claim is that the two (big bang and Maha-Vishnu's breathing) are functionally equivalent. Can you explain how they are different?

Think of your own breathing. To a microbe in your lungs, your exhalations must seem like explosive events. Think of Maha-Vishnu (may I always dwell on His Lotus Feet). If all universes are contained within Him, wouldn't that make Him rather large (not necessarily, since the lord can contain all Universes within the smallest portion of Him--in fact, Maha-Vishnu could be a singularity)? Remember, a single breath of Maha-Vishnu is 100 years of Brahma (or some 4 billion years--no, actually, it's even longer).

hey, murali, i think i am mad mahax, who at one time spouted off about how an unseen universe exists right here among us, multiverse. Ya see, when I read of subterranean planetary systems, I think of those universes contained within the globe of the earth (martyaloka.) not below the earth as drawn in Srimad Bhagavatam mid cantos. Such pictures show the talas as being above us residents of earth, because we are a globe, and if they are belkow this globe, they are still above us, not subterranean. Just ask aussies, the stars they see are below us but they still look up to see them.

Multiverse is a situation of simultaneous existance, which is very compatible to vedic understanding of the highest level. This idea of transcendence, out temporary plight of being caught up in the mahattattwa, the whole thing. Physics when fully developed, with reveal Krsna. Big bang is energy, but nothing in physics existsw where there is no original energetic source of energy. So the big bang is a big bullett from a big gun, but the big gunslinger is Lord Narayana.

Multiverse is best displayed in the plot of Men in Black, the Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones vehicle for entertainment, (and it is a funny movie). The cat in the flick wears a jewel, and within that jewell is a universe just as potent as our own, but it is just a jewel around a feline neck. The closing scene is also profound, where everything that we think of as huge is rolled up in a plaything of someone who views everything seen by the Hubble telescope as nothing but a toy.

There is a parallel universe, many of them. Whole civilizations exist one inch off the surface of the earth orb, and it is all invisible for those of us who live one inch below their surface, as the concentric talas, rasatalas, naga realms, and ptriloka (The abode of Lord Yamaraja who hangs with me often) are just inches below us as well.

Maybe the hollow earth folks will have contributions, because, like pink floyd says, there is no dark side of the moon, it is all dark.

Santa Cruz in Summer, eh? any reggae festivals there.

hare krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Namaste, first post. It seems I have found a beautiful and intelligent community.

I have not read this thread entirely, but feel compelled to post:

Regarding Mad Max, I believe it is a rather probable picture of the way humanity would react to "the Apocalypse" at the time of its creation. However, I feel as we approach 2012 consciousness is elevating, although in the event of "the Rapture" we will indeed face a time of "Mad Maxy vibes" (hippiespeak, lol)

Regarding the "Big Bang" I have a theory based on nothing but a limited knowledge of science and my own personal feelings, which is most likely not completely scientifically true but listen (if you'd like):

Anything I say from this point on is assumed true based on my limited knowledge of science.

The universe as we know it, in our physical plane, is expanding, the galaxies are moving away from each other. At the center of each galaxy is a "black hole," which is a hyperdense mass whose gravity draws in all within reach. A spiral galaxy is a collection of matter, drawn to itself following a big bang. Each galaxy is spiraling into its central black hole. When the full mass of this galaxy is finally pulled in, there is no opposing gravitational force to the extreme influence of this black hole. Therefore, the black hole inevitably collapses in on itself into a singularity, which cannot remain and simply bounces off of itself, creating another "big bang" and creating infiinitely more galaxies leading to infinitely more "big bangs."