IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Gandhi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have read Srila Pabhupada's letter. I am really curious to know how Bapu would have replied. I believe Shri. Prabhupada's concerns were genuine and he really deserved a reply from Bapu. It is unfortunate that Bapu's secretaries never let it happen. History is at loss here.

I do not, however, agree with people when they say Bapu doesn't deserve the title Mahatma. I think they are wrong. The title Mahatma incepted only to embrace Bapu, no one can come closer to him, he was, and will remain, the incarnation of none other then Christ himself.

Guest guest

There is no evidence that he did not receive and read the letter. To say that his secretary trashed it is an excuse to say he did not receive it nd so did not reply it.

it is likely that he read the letter

and chose not to reply, because preaching was not his field of activity, politics was. He concocted a politically motvated song - iswar allah tera naam - and passed it on as a bhajan, and now he knew that if he preached hinduism, he would have to preach koran as well, and that is too much to do as he did not really study any of these in detail.

if he had chosen to reply truthfully, it could have been something like this:

swami prabhupada,

thank you for your invitation to join you and spread bhagavat dharma. sorry i cannot do it because at heart i am a jain, not a hindu. jainism says there is no god, and one has to suffer or enjoy one's karma, and there is no way out of it.

i tried to keep hindus and muslims united

and i find that i have failed to keep them united.

i am sorry that i have not read the Books of islam to know what it really contains and why they have caused such genocides of hindus in the past over long time.

i assumed that love from hinuds will change them (muslims,) but i see that i have failed to make the muslims love hindus. muslims demanded partition of india, I did not want it, and i failed to make muslims give up the demand for partition, even when i succeeded in getting freedom from british. thus it seems perhaps i was wrong in dividing india and avoiding a civil war, and feel ashamed of favoring too much the musilms against the political interests of the majority hindus. my non-violence principle took me too far and i became an instrument of division of a great nation, and feel somewhat guilty of it.

so, i would rather prefer to meet un-natural death as you perdicted and get my punishment for the sin of dividing the nation and crating a permanent enemy at teh border of divided india.

i wish you success in your preaching.

please prach the hindus to practice dharma correctly

and stop any dharma malpractice.

mohandas gandhi

--------------------

it is not people who say mahatma was a wrong title, prabhupada has said it but whtout mentenuong gandhi.

you hamimre or revere gandhi because you have not know better personalities than gandhi.

others however know. e.g. chaianya was way far ahead of gandhi as mahatma. india has prodced many hamatmas.

gandhi was just a politician with some saintly qualities.

that is all.

as long as mosques and madressas keep producing

terrorists, there is no need to talk of gandhi, but krishna and gita.

the need is to convince muslims that it is not worth going to mosques and madresas. go to hare krishna sankirtan parties instead.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

but what letter are you guys talking about? I am new to the whole thing, so do not misunderstand me. I have no idea who Prabhupada is, or why Gandhi did not reply, or even the contents of the letter. Could someone please explain? Thanks in advance.

Srila Prabhupada, also known as His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (1896-1977) is the Founder-Acarya (Spiritual Master) of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON). He is the great saintl who brought the philosophy and culture of Krsna Consciousness to the west in 1965 when he arrived alone and virtually penniless in New York City and by the time he passed away in 1977, his ISKCON had already become a blooming confederation of 108 temples, schools and farming communities all over the world. He also left behind a huge library of books on Krsna Consciousness.

The late ex-Beatle George Harrison was a follower of Srila Prabhupada.

Srila Prabhupada's writings are avaliable on the Internet. His translation and commentary on Bhagavad-gita can be accessed at www.asitis.com and his massive work Krsna --- The Supreme Personality of Godhead can be read online at www.krsnabook.com. Many of Srila Prabhupada's other books can be downloaded at http://www.hare-krishna.org

There are also many websites dedicated to Srila Prabhupada and my favourite one is www.prabhupadaconnect.com. It is run by Padmapani dasa, a disciple of Srila Prabhupada and the site is free from the political bickerings that some of Prabhupada's followers are inclined towards. A copy of Srila Prabhupada's letter to Gandhi can be found at that website: http://www.prabhupadaconnect.com/Letters.html

Although Srila Prabhupada has already left this planet, he is very much alive in the spiritual sense and continues to guide many people through his books and teachings.

Cawnpore

12th July, 1947

Mahatma Gandhijee

Bhangi Colony

New Delhi.

Dear Friend Mahatmajee,

Please accept my respectful Namaskar. I am your unknown friend but I had to write to you at times and again although you never cared to reply them. I sent you my papers "Back to Godhead" but your secretaries told me that you had very little time to read the letters and much less for reading the magazines. I asked for an interview with you but your busy secretaries never cared to reply this. Anyway as I am your very old friend although unknown to you in order to bring you to the rightful position deserved by you. As a sincere friend I must not deviate from my duty towards a friend like your good self.

I tell you as a sincere friend that you must immediately retire from active politics if you do not desire to die an inglorious death. You have 125 years to live as you have desired to live but if you die an inglorious death it is no worth. The honour and prestige that you have obtained during the course of your present life time, were not possible to be obtained by any one else within the living memory. But you must know that all these honours and prestiges were false in as much as they were created by the Illusory Energy of Godhead called the Maya. By this falsity I do not mean to say that your so many friends were false to you nor you were false to them. By this falsity I mean illusion or in other words the false friendship and honours obtained thereby were but creation of Maya and therefore they are always temporary or false as you may call it. But none of you neither your friends nor yourself knew this truth.

Now by the Grace of God that illusion is going to be cleared and thus your faithful friends like Acharya Kripalini and others are accusing your inability at the present moment to give them any practical programme of work as you happened to give them during your glorious days of non-co-operation movement. So you are also in a plight to find out a proper solution for the present political tangle created by your opponents. You should therefore take a note of warning from your insignificant friend like me, that unless you retire timely from politics and engage yourself cent per cent in the preaching work of Bhagwat Geeta, which is the real function of the Mahatmas, you shall have to meet with such inglorious deaths as Mussolini, Hitlers, Tojos, Churchills or Llyoyd Georges met with.

You can very easily understand as to how some of your political enemies (both Indian and English) have deliberately cheated you and have broken your heart by doing the same mischief for which you have struggled so hard for so many years. You wanted chiefly Hindu/Moslem unity in India and they have tactfully managed to undo your work, by creation of the Pakishtan and India separately. You wanted freedom for India but they have given permanent dependence of India. You wanted to do something for the upliftment of the position of the Bhangis but they are still rotting as Bhangis even though you are living in the Bhangi colony. They are all therefore illusions and when these things will be presented to you as they are, you must consider them as God-sent. God has favoured you by dissipating the illusion you were hovering in, and by the same illusion you were nursing those ideas as Truth(?).

You must know that you are in the relative world which is called by the sages as Dwaita i.e. dual -- and nothing is absolute here. Your Ahimsa is always followed by Hinsa as the light is followed by darkness or the father is followed by the son. Nothing is absolute truth in this dual world. You did not know this neither you ever cared to know this from the right sources and therefore all your attempts to create unity were followed by disunity and Ahimsa. Ahimsa was followed by Himsa.

But it is better late than never. You must know now something about the Absolute Truth. The Truth with which you have been experimenting so long is relative. The relative truths are creations of the 'Daivi Maya' qualified by the three modes of Nature. They are all insurmountable as is explained in the Bhagwat Geeta (7/14). The Absolute Truth is the Absolute Godhead.

In the Katha Upanishad it is ordered that one must approach the bonafide Guru who is not only well versed in all the scriptures of the world but is also the realised soul in Brahman the Absolute -- in order to learn the science of Absolute Truth. So also it is instructed in the Bhagwat Geeta as follows:-

Tad Biddhi Pranipatena

Pariprasnena Sebaya

Upadekshyanti Tad Jnanam

Jnanina Tatwadarshina (4/34)

But I know that you never underwent such transcendental training except some severe penances which you invented for your purpose as you have invented so many things in the course of experimenting with the relative truths. You might have easily avoided them if you had approached the Guru as abovementioned. But your sincere efforts to attain some Godly qualities by austerities etc surely have raised you to some higher position which you can better utilise for the purpose of the Absolute Truth. If you, however, remain satisfied with such temporary position only and do not try to know the Absolute Truth, then surely you are to fall down from the artificially exalted position under the laws of nature. But if you really want to approach the Absolute Truth and want to do some real good to the people in general all over the world, which shall include your ideas of unity, peace and non-violence, then you must give up the rotten politics immediately and rise up for the preaching work of the philosophy and religion of "Bhagwat Geeta" without offering unnecessary and dogmatic interpretations on them. I had occasionally discussed this subject in my paper "Back to Godhead" and a leaf from the same is enclosed herewith for your reference.

I would only request you to retire from politics at least for a month only and let us have discussion on the Bhagwat Geeta. I am sure, thereby, that you shall get a new light from the result of such discussions not only for your benefit but for the benefit of the world at large -- as I know that you are sincere, honest and moralist.

Awaiting your early reply with interest.

Yours sincerely,

Abhay Charan De

Enclosure -- one leaf from Back to Godhead.

Guest guest

Dear Brother,

What you have written itself proves that fanaticism has taken shape in you. Even Praphupada wouldn't have liked your statement. To assert that "Gandhi was merely a politician with some saintly qualities," is a gross mis-statement. In recent history there hasn't been a man like Bapu, and those who challenge his personality are, in effect, those who cannot comprehend or envisage or believe that a man like him actually lived and breathed among men like us.

To say that "Gandhi didn't have a perfect understanding of Gita" is as stupid as saying "Krishna has nothing to do with Gita." Honestly, I do not want to stir a debate here, because that is both time-wasting and useless, but if you want to know about Bapu's knowledge of Gita, you must read his translation of the Gita. Please visit the following link and read for yourself what a reader has written about Bapu's Gita: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1893163113/002-8899890-8691210?vi=glance -- Bapu actually preached the Gita and the Koran at Birla house; there used to be evening prayers.

Please don't be outraged by what I have said; in earnest, I don't want to start a debate (Bapu wouldn't have liked it), but please ponder for a few minutes; no man is greater than the God - and Bapu dedicated all his life spreading the message of God. Politics was a just a tiny, very tiny, part of Bapu's life; he was a saint, a true Karma Yogi. Please don't divide Hindus and Muslims, worse than that Hindus and Jains.

Hare Krishna

Even srila prabhupad was so much nice to gandhi,wat to say more abouth him.

When he was die,he was saing RAMA and went to goloka vrindavana. <font color="blue"> </font color> /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guest guest

when he died,

according to witness gopal godse, elder brother of nathuram.

the congressies just made a propaganda that gandhi uttered hey rama at his last breath to make hindus believe that he was a hindu and that he went to haven.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

Gandhi was a fake. He was not a Hindu. He claimed that Veda Vyasa made a big mistake by giving the historical Krishna miraculous powers and thus spoiled the historicty of the Mahabharatha! Ok here are my points on why I think Gandhi was a great enemy of Santhana Dharma..

1. Gandhi was a pedophile.

American expert on child abuse Bullough V. L. in his book 'Mahatma Gandhi. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality' writes:

Gandhi was married at age 13 to a girl about his own age and at age 37 took a vow of sexual abstinence. In spite of this vow, he found a need to fondle prepubescent and early adolescent girls. He took such girls to bed with him to overcome, he said, his “shivering fits” in the night. His female companions, who came from his inner circle — all certified virgins or young brides — entered his bed naked in order to warm him with their bodies. Some of them also administered enemas to him.... One of his girl disciples reported that his bed companions had a difficult time in restraining their sexual impulses since he often rubbed against them and touched them in erotic places. Although his closemouthed house guardians were fearful of public reaction if news of these “pedophilic” sexual interactions were publicized, Gandhi continued to engage in them until his death..... If he had lived in the United States, he would have been sentenced as a child molester"

Bullough V. L. (1981). Mahatma Gandhi. Medical Aspects of Human Sexuality, 15, 11-12.

2.Gandhi did not get India Independence:

Consider the following lines from 'History of the Freedom Movement in India'(Volume III, pages 609 –10) by R.C. Majumdar, one of India's foremost historians. This work was suppressed by the Nehru Government of India an account of which is given in the appendix. The following lines is from a conversation between B.P. Chakravarti who was acting as Governor of West Bengal, and the then British Prime Minister Lord Clement Attlee who was on a visit to India. Chakravarti asked Attlee about the real grounds for granting independence to India. Specifically, his question was, when the Quit India movement lay in ruins years before 1947, where was the need for the British to leave in such a hurry. Attlee’s response is most illuminating and important for history. Here is the Governor’s account of what Attlee told him:

In reply Attlee cited several reasons, the most important were the activities of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose which weakened the very foundation of the attachment of the Indian land and naval forces to the British Government. Towards the end, I asked Lord Attlee about the extent to which the British decision to quit India was influenced by Gandhi’s activities. On hearing this question Attlee’s lips widened in a smile of disdain and he uttered, slowly, putting emphasis on each single letter — "M-I-N-I-M-A-L."

3.Gandhi created a very facist atmosphere in the Congress:

After independence the only persons allowed to do business in India were Bajaj and Birla. It is not a coincidence that both these guys were closely linked to Gandhi. Because of Gandhi's autocratic policies the Congress which was a democratic organisation became a dictatorship. Shri Aurobindo remarked on December 27, 1938:

The Congress at the present stage—what is it but a Fascist organization? Gandhi is the dictator like Stalin, I won't say like Hitler: what Gandhi says they accept and even the Working Committee follows him; then it goes to the All-India Congress Committee which adopts it, and then the Congress. There is no opportunity for any difference of opinion...

4.Gandhi was India's first communal politician

Gandhi was the first person to bring religion into politics. He invited the Amir of Afghanistan to invade India and justified it by saying that

"To the Musalmans, Swaraj[indian Independence] means, as it must, India's ability to deal effectively with the Khilafat question.... It is impossible not to sympathise with this attitude.... I would gladly ask for postponement of Swaraj activity if thereby we could advance the interest of the Khilafat"(History of the Freedom Movement in India by R. C. Majumdar - Calcutta: Firma KLM, 1998), Vol. III, p. 81) Gandhi was willing to put off the Indian freedom struggle as he considered the world wide Islamic movement of far greater importance.

I mean, Gandhi may be a true politician who is a saint or a Fake, but the figure that Gandhi established is truly something we can commend because his figure gave his future generations the gifts of non violence, tolerance and understanding of various people... In my view he is the true "Vaisnav Jana" like in the song Vaishnav Jana to ....

Its meaning is that "A true man of God helps others and develops his society and takes it to a higher consciousness and I think the figure of Gandhi has made this happen in millions of hearts.

Guest guest

The unpalatable allegations about pedophilia would be hard to verify and I wonder about their source or accuracy. Unless there was a documented confession or recorded charges, such statements would likely be categorized as rumor or heresy. Gandhi was already assassinated once, so what's the point of assassinating his character so many years later?

Guest guest

Lapierre and Collins in their book "Freedom at Midnight" recount same kind of incidents. Even once Gandhi wasn't allowed in Bihar because the people there was very upset for Gandhi's custom of sleeping with young girls.

Guest guest

I still don't understand the point in finding faults with Gandhi, or anyone for that matter.

Guest guest

"A true man of God helps others and develops his society and takes it to a higher consciousness "

He failed to teach this to the minority muslims of india.

he even was pissed off when they threatened for a civil war.

so he divided the nation and created pakistan.

this proves he was not a true man of god.

his follwers (congressis) are making hindus cowards.

and they do murder others for political reason.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

"Judge not that ye not be judged."

It's a fact that such accusative statements towards others' shortcomings or mistakes only begs the question, "What are YOU doing any better?"

A word to the wise.

Guest guest

<<I still don't understand the point in finding faults with Gandhi, or anyone for that matter.>>

Dont we find faults with Hitler. Dont we find faults with Stalin. Dont we find faults with Sishupala. Dont we find faults with Duryodhana. Why cant we find faults with Gandhi then.

If Gandhi did sleep with little girls it cannot be condemed enough. Every young Vaishanavite should be warned that sleeping with young girls naked is wrong. Gandhi says he was doing it to control his senses. Does anybody beleive this nonesense.

Quote:

It's a fact that such accusative statements towards others' shortcomings or mistakes only begs the question, "What are YOU doing any better?"

~~~

I am not occupying the position of Congress presidentship. Gandhi pushed out Dr. Anne Beasent, Lokmanya Tilak and later on Bhagat Singh and Netaji. So Gandhi was responsible for millions of Hindus. And what did he do? He let the Muslims have a free fiesta of rape, murder and slaughter.

Gandhi was responsible for the rape slaughter and murder or millions of Hindus. I may be a worse person than Gandhi, but it does not matter, because I am just a person behind the computer. So I can never cuase the kind of damage Gandhi did to Hindus.