IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

chocalate

Rate this topic

Thank you, Babhru Prabhu. It made me happy to hear your explanation of 'transparent'. I had been afraid that you had thought and perhaps still think that Srila Prabhupada saw you as not there, not a player. I was intent on correcting such an error. But it is I who was not there in Prabhupada's vision; I guess I was reading my own misfortune into your words. You made me very happy.

And I will cut tomatoes with more attention in the future.

gHari

Actually, I thank you for helping me to return to moments when my life seemed perfect. I wish I were still cookign kachoris with Srila Prabhupada. My professional life is so demanding that I feel fortunate when I'm able to make something simple like laddus for my Thakurajis.

I remain convinced that the good old days are yet to come. Just wait until more and more of us become freed of these responsibilities and can cut loose and use our talents and experience to only teach Krishna consciousness.

(Hari Bhakti Vilasa 8.158,159, from Kurma Purana)

One should not eat eggplant, banana leaves, sunflower leaves and asmantaka leaves, onions, garlic. One should not eat sour gruel (a thin watery pouriage) or the juice of the tree. One should also give up turnips and beetroots, carrots, kinsuka, forest figs, and white pumpkin. If the twice born persons eat these things, they all become fallen.

Guest guest

I only can say Srila Prabhupada ate lots of eggplant and eggplant bhaji it's delicious. What about all the carrot halava we eat at the temples and just today I ate turnips.

Funny thing - when I read that I thought no problem then I had a dream last night that I was chowing down on sunflower leaves!! Geez..I can't even follow when I am asleep!

I really do not get the eggplant and carrot prohibition at all.

Funny thing - when I read that I thought no problem then I had a dream last night that I was chowing down on sunflower leaves!! Geez..I can't even follow when I am asleep!"<<

That is funny. I never even think about sunflower leaves but tonight I will probably have a similar dream.

I have seen them as sprouts at least. Never tried them, but now I feel a desire forming. Adolescent pyschology. I hear there is some prohibiton and what I never thought of before becomes desirable.

Guest guest

sunflower sprouts are delicious, nutty and almost oily

in quality,although they aren't oily.

they grow in dirt,not like alfalfa.

also even better is buckwheat, my favorite sprout,

with a superb flavor.

any good health food store has both,try them,you will

love them.

Guest guest

that bit about not eating aggplant banana leaves etc,

that may have to do with a bad translation,or it may have to do people who shoud be observing strict ascetic lifestyle, out of context it's impossible to tell.

Mahaprabhu ate most of those things.

also eggplant,tomato,chili peppers, these are in the same family, and can cause inflamation to arthritis sufferers,

so if you have some form of arthritis and eat these things,stop and see if you feel better.

Let's be balanced and also explore any health benefits chocolate offers. One I remember reading years ago (the newspapers in the US always seem to have big chocolate articles around St. Valentine's Day) was that it is high in potassium.

Proteins are generally regarded as the most important factor in determining the "worth" of food. They provide materials for growth, replacement of body tissue, and muscle.

Milk, in the form of milk solids in milk chocolate, caramels and fudge is the most valuable source of protein in confectionery.

Protein in chocolate per 100 g:

Milk chocolate: 8.7

Dark chocolate: 5.6

Cocoa powder: 20.4

Cocoa: 20.4

Toffee: 0.2

Caffeine is an alkaloid found in coffee, tea, cacao and a few other plants.

The mildly stimulating alkaloid found in the cacao bean is theobromine. The amount of caffeine in chocolate is negligible. However, if you have profound reactions to caffeine in coffee or tea, you may want to limit your intake.

* Chocolate provides a number of nutrients the body requires daily. A milk chocolate bar weighing 1.4 ounces, contains about three grams of protein, 15% of the daily value of riboflavin, 9% of the daily value of calcium, 7% of the daily value for iron and 10% of the daily requirement for potassium.

* Researchers at UC Davis have found that chocolate contains a number of flavonoids, compounds which retard the oxidation of fats preventing low density lipoprotiens (LDLs) from creating plaque and clogging arteries.

* Chocolate's antioxidant potency roughly matches that of gallic acid, another potent antioxidant, and is even more effective at cutting oxidation of (LDLs) than those in red wine (consumption of which has been found to reduce significantly an individual's risk of heart attack).

* In addition chocolate contains tannins and phenolics, the same chemicals that act as antioxidants in laboratory tests of red wine. 1.5 ounces of milk chocolate contain about as much phenol as a 5 ounce glass of red wine. Dark chocolate contains even more phenol than milk chocolate.

* Dark Chocolate contains no cholesterol.

* Chocolate contains copper (.8mg per 100g) which enhances red blood cells' ability to carry oxygen. The average woman is deficient in copper. A good source of copper is liver but wouldn't you rather eat chocolate?

* Chocolate also contains phosphorus (138mg per 100g) which is an essential component of phospholipids that makes up our cell membranes.

* PEA(Phenylethylamine) is followed closely by theobroma as the chocolate chemical most responsible for lifting depressions. It is one of a group of plant-based stimulants called methylxanthines whose best know member is caffeine. Chocolate has straight caffeine , too, but in very small amounts (70mg/100g). The effects of theobroma are similar to, but milder than caffeine's, and include alertness and decreased fatigue.

* Chocolate's high level of magnesium (131mg per 100 g) is also credited for adding to the euphoria one gets from eating chocolate. Magnesium levels are found to be low during menstruation.

* Serotonin (3mg/100g) and tyramine (2mg/100g) are also present in chocolate and provide a mild calming, balancing effect.

Guest guest

Chocolate Part of A Healthy Diet

Antioxidants found in chocolate may help protect your heart.

When I think about chocolate the words that come to mind are, rich, creamy, mouthwatering, delicious, sinful and forbidden. It is the number one food craving that people report and for years has been considered verboten in a healthy diet. Enjoying the pleasures of a chocolate cookie were often followed by immense guilt for tasting the forbidden fruit. Chocolate was never found on a list of "health foods".

Chocoholics can now take heart and come out of the closet. Chocolate contains flavonoids, a biological component of plant foods that can help reduce risk for heart disease. Chocolate, in moderation can be once again a part of a balanced diet.

Flavonoids are found in all plant-derived foods in varying amounts. Various flavonoids have been shown to prevent oxidation, chelate (bind) metals, stimulate the immune system and also reduce an allergic response, prevent formation of carcinogens, impede cancer cell growth, and protect against bacteria and viruses according to Agricultural Research magazine from the USDA. Different flavonoids perform different functions in protecting our health. Chocolate contains the flavonoids Catechins also found in tea ( regular black tea, not herbal teas) and this flavonoid in the diet has been show to help protect the heart from disease.

Some Food Sources of Flavonoids

Anthocyanidins (cyanidin and delphinidin)-berries, grapes, fruit skins, and true fruit juices

Catechins (catechin and epicatechin)-true teas (not herbal teas)

Flavanones (hesperetin and naringenin-citrus

Flavones (apigenin and luteolin)-grains and herbs

Flavonols (myricetin and quercetin)-fruits, onions, and botanicals

While chocolate can be a part of a healthy diet, as with everything moderation is the key. You should look for low-fat and low-sugar forms of chocolate to prevent weight gain. The fat content of chocolate does not appear to be a concern to cholesterol levels when consumed in moderation.

Enjoy that chocolate treat without guilt, your heart may thank you.

My understanding of intoxicants are that they are not only a matter of substance but also quantity. For instance, there is a little alcohol in ripe fruit, but we would not consider it an intoxicant. I have often had "nectar" served at various Hare Krishna temples that obviously had some alcohol from the ripe fruit. But I didn't get drunk on it. I also make and use herbal medicines that contain alsohol as a solvent and preservative; however I don't have any concern about intoxication because I use them in such small quantities. Another example is that a person can get intoxicated on a large quantity of water by diluting blood electrolytes. I sometimes have a little chocolate, such as in chocolate chip mint ice cream, but I don't feel any caffeine effects from it, and I don't feel guilty.

Hare Krishna

Paul

Guest guest

U ppl are really weird ok how does a carrot grow if there are no animals around??? and the carrot gets it colour from beta cerotine which is pigment not blood, and i also point out that carrots are orange not red, and if they were red becuase of the blood they would be makin the blood so it would be red hence u cant say theyre are orange because they dont have enough blood

Guest guest

hi,I am a student in Taiwan.I need to present a paper about chocalate.Could you please give me some information about chocalate? i really appreciate about that..thanks!