IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Copyright the Maha-mantra?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have just heard the ISKCON has tried twice to copyright the Maha-mantra Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

Now hearing this pretty much made my senses go numb.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this? Who tried to do it and when? Was it a marketing objective? What was the motive? Anybody privy to the scoop?

Guest guest

It was probably just to keep the mantra from being exploited by some ad firm. Just like many people felt some of the Beatle's songs had some deeper meaning, for them, and felt they were cheapened by being used as background music to sell products once Michel Jackson purchased the rights to those songs and then allowed them to be used to sell Nike products etc.

This came to light several years ago in Australia I believe. There was one letter sent threatening to sue Narayana Maharaja's group for advertising a "Hare Krsna" festival. It was disscussed on VNN and the archive may be there. Never mind that Srila Prabhupada put this idea down long ago, ISKCON tried it anyway. Read the letter below.

New Vrindaban

10 June, 1969

69-06-10

My Dear Dinesh,

Please accept my blessings. I am in due receipt of your letter dated June, 6, 1969 and the copy of the agreement which you sent. The first thing is that I have already given you my word, so there is no need of an agreement with me. My word is final agreement, but if you want it for business reasons, I have no objections to sign it. But the wordings are not always clear. Another thing is although I have brought this Sankirtana Movement to the Western World we cannot make it copyrighted. The Sankirtana Movement is not my invention. So how can it be copyrighted? Besides that, as you will find in the album of my previous recording, the chanting of Hare Krishna is going on since time immemorial. So Hare Krishna cannot be copyrighted, although the tune in which I sing with my disciples, that may be made copyrighted. I have no objection to sign this agreement, but don't be misled that the chanting of Hare Krishna or Lord Caitanya's Movement can be made copyrighted.

There are some points in the contract which are not very clear, so you may explain them to me further by post. The points are as follows: ``ISKCON shall have the sole and exclusive right and authority to collect preserve and distribute all tangible expressions of said sound vibrations.'' ``Said sound vibrations shall be fixed in a tangible form solely by ISKCON'' ``ISKCON shall have the exclusive right to any existing sound recordings contained in any medium of fixation that have been previously recorded by the SWAMI'' ``ISKCON shall have the sole and exclusive right to use the name and likeness of the SWAMI for all purposes and activities encompassed by this agreement.''

So upon hearing from you on these points I shall send you back the agreement duly signed by me. I am very much encouraged by the statement of your letter, but I must let you know the pros and cons of this agreement.

Please convey my blessings to Krishna Devi. I hope this will meet you in good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Guest guest

The Holy Names remain the sole antidote for this Age of Kali. They will saturate the atmosphere here, there and everywhere by whatever means they see fit. They cannot be contaminated in any way and if apparently commercialized, or used for material purposes [as most of us do], Their potency always remains intact and active.

Let those who may believe themselves to be in control engage themselves accordingly. The Golden Age of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is upon us and all will eventually become infected with the Holy Names, somehow or other. Jai Gauranga! Haribol!

Guest guest

It is shocking that they are STILL trying to control the Maha Mantra, the books, I wonder what's next?! I think names should be dug up and the whole movement should 'know' who is trying to copyright the Maha Mantra. This way they can't hide behind 'Iskcon' and say oh, iskcon is doing this, not us. At least with Jayadvaita, we know a lot of went on with book changes. I am against that too, but I think those who take it to court to own this Maha Mantra should be known. If they are not doing anything wrong, they would not mind! Therefore they must be, or they would be bragging all over the place with their names out front! I would like to know WHO is doing this.

Guest guest

Guest, I agree with you.

Makes you wonder if ISKCON's business is business.

Of course, if people know your plans, they may frustrate them.

It's ashame their methods of deception, cover-up and decrees are more like the capital and criminal interests destroying the planet than the acts of gentle enlightened devotees.