IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Sirona

Refuge from any "Religion"

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna my friends,

I've got a little question concerning "religion". Somewhere at the end of the Gita the Lord advises/ offers to give up any "religion" and to take refuge in Him only.

I looked a bit around what ISKCON (that's the only available Hindu community in my corner) and the Masters they refer to teach about the Holy Name. If I got it right they say that it removes any kind of sin. And that's the point I am confused about.

To my limited understanding of the Gita one should commit offenses by intent but should one should not worry "only" about sins either. [This does not mean I'd consider myself sin-free.]

If I follow the pathway specifically traced by ISKCON and its Masters, I get the feeling of getting involved into a "religion" again. I had been Catholic for ten years and I was very unhappy with it because I got the feeling of a "working mentality". If you commit something, first you confess and then you work it off by saying a certain amount of prayers. I love the Lord, and I love the Holy Name, because it is so merciful that it comes onto my tongue "by its own will". However, I definitely do not want to get into a kind of church thing again. Really, I am a bit confused and this is a grave problem to me. Clear me up, please. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I find your question very interesting.The reason being

i had asked the same question many times.It is often a

question we need to ask before embarking on this journey

of life.

There are many good organisations like ISKCON.One of them is

Divine Life Society.This article is a very enlightening article.Maybe this will answer your question.

http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/religions/relkrishna.htm

Guest guest

If you want to meet some good devotees then you will find them in Iskcon.God says "You will attain me" so this path is a personal one.Great devotees like Prabhupada and Christ help us attain this goal.The trick is to develop unconditional love for Godhead and all living entities.All will be taken care of.Leave everything on Krsna.All things are going as it should be.

Take care.Haribol!

Joy

Guest guest

Take refuge in the eternal religion which is to love and serve the supreme being /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joy

Guest guest

Bhagavad Gita,Chapter 18 verse 66 :

"sarva dharmam parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja

aham tva sarva papebhyo moksayisyami ma suca'

In verse in context to the Gita - after expounding jnana, karma and bhakti yogas, Lord Krsna advices Arjuna to abondon all these yogas (means) and take refuge in Him (Krsna) alone.

This path is called saranagati - "the way of surrender". It is not yoga/process (means) as such, but a total resignation of oneself to God and reliance upon His Grace alone.

All efforts directed at self purification and preparation for union with the Lord can obstruct the spontaneous flow of Grace. Merits (virtues) and demerits (sins) are relative to the Lord and even that which is thought to be meritious can be considered to be demerit if it interferes with the Lord's enjoyment of the Jiva.

An episode from Ramayana - Rama sends Vibhisana to bring Sita to Him. Sita anxious to meet her beloved Rama, takes a refreshing bath and wearing new clothes appears before Vibhisana. Rama is angered by the delay and frowns in rebuke.

Hare Krsna

SDdasa

Guest guest

In verse in context to the Gita - after expounding jnana, karma and bhakti yogas, Lord Krsna advices Arjuna to abondon all these yogas (means) and take refuge in Him (Krsna) alone

Most commentators, interpret as above. It does not make sense because Krishna has just devoted a number of chapters describing the different Dharmas and their benefits. It also does not square with the underlying message of the Gita, which is to inspire Arjuna to fight.

IMO, Maadhva provides a more meaningful interpretation that it is not Dharma to be give up, but the results/outcome. It makes more sense in the overall context, unlike the common interpretation.

Cheers

Guest guest

This is very nice indeed! Thank you, prabhu! Haribol!

Re: Surrender -Saranagati

Bhagavad Gita,Chapter 18 verse 66 :

"sarva dharmam parityajya mam ekam saranam vraja

aham tva sarva papebhyo moksayisyami ma suca'

In verse in context to the Gita - after expounding jnana, karma and bhakti yogas, Lord Krsna advices Arjuna to abondon all these yogas (means) and take refuge in Him (Krsna) alone.

This path is called saranagati - "the way of surrender". It is not yoga/process (means) as such, but a total resignation of oneself to God and reliance upon His Grace alone.

All efforts directed at self purification and preparation for union with the Lord can obstruct the spontaneous flow of Grace. Merits (virtues) and demerits (sins) are relative to the Lord and even that which is thought to be meritious can be considered to be demerit if it interferes with the Lord's enjoyment of the Jiva.

An episode from Ramayana - Rama sends Vibhisana to bring Sita to Him. Sita anxious to meet her beloved Rama, takes a refreshing bath and wearing new clothes appears before Vibhisana. Rama is angered by the delay and frowns in rebuke.

Hare Krsna

SDdasa

Guest guest

...I love the Lord, and I love the Holy Name, because it is so merciful that it comes onto my tongue "by its own will"...

You already have the key here. Go along with their routine, but don't become confused by it. No need to get too philosophical -- you've already grasped the essence! Remember though that each must realize in their own time. Just continue to see yourself as completely dependent on the mercy His Divine Grace, the compassionate side of God personified in Srimati Radharani and Lord Nityananda Prabhu.

Always think of yourself as the least and try to worship Her as the devotion you see the devotees. Continue to serve your beloved Lord in everyone, somehow or other. Listen gratefully when preached to or criticized while attempting not to critique others, even in your own mind. Pray only for loving service and never believe yourself to be an advanced devotee. The Holy Names will reveal your personal relationship with the Divine Couple exactly as needed to inspire your devotional service.

Looks to me like you're doing just fine, prabhu!

Guest guest

Dear Sirona,

The verse you quoted about giving up religion and just surrendering to Krsna is very important and should be followed. What it means is to perform bhakti and not worry about any other duty that may get in the way of your natural affection to Krsna. The scriptures and the saints say many things and the teachings appear in a variety of contexts. The idea that the chanting of the Lord's Holy Names irradicates sins is true - but that is not why a devotee chants. Different people approach the Lord for different reasons depending on their necessity.

In the first verse of the siksastakam (the eight slokas composed by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu) it is mentioned that the first thing that the Holy Name does is to extinguish the blazing fire of material existence and cleanse the heart of all the dust (anarthas or impediments to devotion) accumulated for millions of years. This allows the soul to experience the bliss of chanting the Holy Name.

At any rate you should know that you have your part to play. If that turns you off, what to do? We should engage in hearing and chanting about the Lord and serving Him and his devotees as if our advancement in spiritual life depends on it, while at the same time realizing that the actual fact is that we are fully dependent on the mercy and grace of Krsna.

Krsna consciousness is so nice because all we have to do is hear about, sing about, converse about the Lord and keep company of those who are involved in the same thing. You have to hear about, sing about and converse about something - the idea is to put Krsna in the center of all of these activities and thereby spiritualize your life.

Your servant,

Audarya-lila dasa