IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
theist

sadhu-sanga-reading?

Rate this topic

P:...Even a moment's association with a pure devotee all success. Not necessarily that one has to acquire it previous, no. Generally it is so, but sädhu sanga has got its effect. Caitanya Mahäprabhu said, lavamatra sädhu sanga sarva siddhi haya. You have not read in the Sanätana-siksä in the Teachings of Lord Caitanya?

Revatinandana: Does that also apply to reading the words of a pure devotee?

Prabhupäda: Yes.

----------

It's settled. Counter positions will not even be considered.

Hare Krsna

Paramahaàsa: There's a verse in the Bhägavatam that says that one moment's association with a pure devotee is greater than liberation from the material world or than innumerable...

Paramahaàsa: ...years of enjoyment on heavenly planets.

-------------------

So from these two posts we can clearly see that association with a pure devotee's writing is on the spiritual platform. Yet there seems to be room for variety there as well. If Srila Prabhupada was speaking in one room would someone not attend saying, "I'll remain in this room and read. It's the same thing". No way.

So maybe someone can explain further. Is it a difference in spiritual potency? Or is the vapuh form just easier to accept? Other considerations?

Paramahaàsa: My question is: A pure devotee, when he comments Bhagavad-gitä, someone who never sees him physically, but he just comes in contact with his commentary, explanation, is this the same thing?

Prabhupäda: Yes. You can associate with Krsna by reading Bhagavad-gétä. And these saintly persons, they have given their explanations, comments. So where is the difficulty? Everyone is helping you.

Guest guest

Dear Theist,

Sridhara Maharaja said on a number of occasions that the scriptures are the passive agent of divinity and the saints and sadhus are the active agent of divinity. He said this to explain the principle you are seeking to have explained in this thread.

Long before I ever came in contact with devotees or even knew that such a society as Iskcon existed I was reading Srila Prahbupada's books. I was beginning to have a real taste for Krsna consciousness, but I really didn't know what it was - a lot of it was very sketchy for me. I had been speaking about Bhagavad-Gita to my friends quite a lot. One day a causual friend of mine said to me, "I got this magazine in the airport - I think it has something to do with what you have been talking about". The magazine was a Back to Godhead. I was amazed to find that there were so many centers where devotees actually lived and worshiped together. The very next weekend I took a journey to New Jagannatha Puri. Wow!!! All of a sudden so many pieces of the puzzle fell into place. One of the devotees there named Vatsala dasa tried to convince me to spend the night, but I told him no - that I would definitely be back. Eventually through the combination of reading and associating with practicing devotees I decided to join the movement and dedicate my life to serving Krsna. Without the active ingredient - the sadhus - that would have never occurred. The devotees inspire us by their living example and their constant dedication to service.

Your servant,

Audarya-lila dasa

Whilst it is true that reading the words of a pure devotee is considered the same as associating with them, we must also follow the instructions found within the text. Prabhupada always stressed association with advanced souls, so this we must do. To do otherwise would be to merely be following the vapu of the vani. That is we would be following the letter (which may change with time, place and circumstance) but not the actual spirit of the instruction.

The madhyama adhikari can feel the presence of the devotee in his words but the kanistha cannot. Therefore it will be most benificial for us to seek out someone who we can serve personally.

We know that Krsna and his Deity form are non-different, but do we really experience that.

Dayal Govinda dasa