IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
livingentity

Vartma-pradarsaka Guru

Rate this topic

The first person who introduces us to Krishna consciousness (regardless of status), is called vartma-pradarsaka guru.

I do not remember her name nor would I know her if she walked up to me today but I want to thank her for her time and patience that day in 1971 Atlanta Georgia.

I was on a mission (not a spiritual one!) and was headed up Peachtree Street to find the nearest dealer when I happened on some devotees on the corner. I don't remember how long I spoke with her nor even what she said to me but I walked away with Bhagavad Gita As It Is, BTG magazine, some incense and unknown to me a tiny little seed had been planted in the dryness of my heart.

I obviously was not ready and Lord Krsna had other plans for me but that little seed that she had planted suddenly took hold and finally sprouted many years later in a most unexpected way.

If you are out there and you remember preaching so nicely to a wild haired and equally wild eyed little hippie chick in 1971 Atlanta - I offer my obeisances to you - my vartma-pradarsaka guru.

Thank you so much for your preaching efforts and for your nice work on Srila Prabhupada's wonderful mission to bring Krishna Consciousness to the western world.

You know, I do not remember 'exactly' who introduced me to Krishna consciousness because we were a group of older teenagers and young adults that hung out together and were looking into yoga and various religions. Some friends even let Christain preachers come over their house once. ha But specifically, who was the first person to tell me about Krishna, I can't remember! I do remember various things, like once an initiated devotee came over to my friends place which was right next to mine and we all had a kirtana outside on a madras. Or after that and I had moved, the new neighbors would go to the temple so they took me there. A few things like that. But person number one? Not sure. I hope that's not an offense.

YS,

Prtha dd

bhaktis tu bhagavad bhakta

sangena parijayate

SAT-SANGA prapyate pumbhih

SUKRITI purva sancite

The inclination for bhakti is awakened

by the association with the devottes of the Lord

And the association with the pure devotees

(SAT SANGA) can be attained by the accumulated effect of SUKRITI (eternal pious activities) performed over uncountable life times.

(Brihan Naradia Purana 4.33)

All glories to sri sri guru and gauranga.

Until May of 1969, I had only heard the maha-mantra on the soundtrack of "Hair." It made some small impression on me from that source, but then, while I was in tthe process of an administrative discharge from the Navy, I attended a Jimi Hendrix concert at the Waikiki Shell in Honolulu. Jimi wasn't able to perform more than 2 or 3 numbers and took a break on the plea of enhancing the sound system so it could handle his music. While we waited for him to return to the stage, I heard a sound just outside the Shell: ching-ching-chiiiiing, ching-ching-chiiiing. It never stopped. Finally, when they told us the concert wasn't going to be completed that night, we all filed out the gate. Right there was the sankirtan party--Govinda dasi, Sudama, Turiya das and Jayasri. (Turiya told me later that was his first time in public with his head shaved.) When I heard them chanting, I found the mantra strangely familiar and was, lke several thousand others, unable to leave. Ultimately, they led thousands into Kapiolani Park, performing the congregational chanting of the holy names under the fuill moon until the cops broke it up. I never forgot that night, and found myself listening to the hare Krishna radio show on our underground FM station every Sunday morning.

A few months later, after getting out of the Navy, I encountered Turiya das again, and he invited me to the feast the next morning at Queen's Surf Park. When I woke the next morning, I remembered promising "the Krishna monk" that I'd go, so I decided I would keep my conscoiusness clear for the rest of the day so I could, I hoped, experience for myself what Krishna consciousness was about. Turiya remembered me from the previous night and showed me Bhagavad-gita As It Is. Between chanting with a completely open heart and the influence of finding a Gita that did not obscure the meaning of the text, I went home a different man. Shortly after, I move into the temple, and Turiya helped me along the way.

Even now, I consult with Turiya das occasionally, and I'm always happy to have a chance to visit Sri Vrindavan Gardens, his beautiful ashram on Maui.

Guest guest

for the initial inspiration is naturaly felt by Vaisnava's it appears.

Bilvamangala Thäkura actually entered into the transcendental pastimes of Lord Krsna. He has recorded his transcendental experiences and appreciation in the book known as Krsna-karnämrta. In the beginning of that book he has offered his obeisances to his different gurus, and it is to be noted that he has adored them all equally. The first spiritual master mentioned is Cintämani, who was one of his instructing spiritual masters because she first showed him the spiritual path. Cintämani was a prostitute with whom Bilvamaìgala was intimate earlier in his life. She gave him the inspiration to begin on the path of devotional service, and because she convinced him to give up material existence to try for perfection by loving Krsna, he has first offered his respects to her. CC Adi-lila 1.57 purport

Guest guest

Haribol, stoney, great story. I love the stories bout those who I knew as well. It reminds me of my own experiance at the crater festival, which I included in a novel, titled "Kipu'ka". The "cling cling cling" in the distance was always something for a visitor to follow up on, it was a virtual signal for home. I still always keep my ears open whenever I go to a big city, hoping the "bells" will ring.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasas

Guest guest

I gotta say, that "ching, ching, chiiiiing" caught my eye/ear too! :-) Even in writing, I can hear it. Thank you prabhus!

YS,

Prtha dd

da crater festivals! Man were they wonderful! I remember on New Year's Day of 1970, the organizers had a huge sound system they call The Voice of God for the main stage. It was outrageous. Then when at different times, the system was used by Sai's Krishna Yoga Community and the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, it beacme the voice of God indeed. At one crater festival, we pee'ed off the organizers by giving away cold watermelon prasad to thousands. (They were miffed because it cut into the sales of hip concessionaires.) At another, a group from Makena Beach had a drum with a 9-foot diameter. They pounded on it and chanted nonsense sounds all through the day. At one point, Siddha and two or three of us went over \, found a spot, and started beting with the freaks. Then Siddha started chanting Hare Krishna. After a while (like nudging an elephant), everyone around the drum was chanting, and you could hear it all over the crater. At another crater festival, the organizers wouldn't give Goursundar stage time with amplified instruments for kirtan, so he rented a generator and set the amps up just outside the entrance to the crater. We had a rockin', SF-late-'60s style kirtan going most of the day. I still remember that snotty Watumull girl walking by in her bikini, munching on a hot dog, and going apoplectic: "They can't do that! It's sacriligious!"

Damn, I do miss those days sometimes.

Guest guest

When I saw the thread about the Vartma-pradarsaka Guru, I was immediately drawn to it, since my own story is kind of unusual. Thus far I've only told close friends this story; so I'll blot out several details, including my own name. It may be more dull than hearing the detailed, unabridged version, but I want to contribute *something* to this very thoughtful thread.

I was a long way from my hometown several years ago. And I was slowly drawn to vegetarianism through some local devotees in the area. They had a vegetarian restaurant. The funny part was, I didn't even know that they were devotees. I met a very nice young Vaishnavi, with very nice qualities. Beauteous, yet humble at the same time. It is a combination virtually unseen in today's times.

Shortly thereafter, I was called back home for an emergency. But I couldn't stop thinking about this young woman. It was a very unique feeling for me. To me, it wasn't the common lust one would feel for a beautiful woman, but it was an infatuation where I had feelings, yet my mind and body refrained from a lust element (and I know ultimately all man-woman infatuations are based on lust, but I definetely feel there was a higher level of purity in this particular set of feelings). I had never felt this way about *anyone* before.

After some months of having this linger in my mind, I got in touch with my contacts in the area I used to be, and found that the vegetarians I had met before were actually of the "Hare Krishna" faith. I heard a lot of strange things about them, but I decided not to be prejudicial, and read a lot of books about them. I even attended an ISKCON meeting in my area.

But my fascination didn't stop there. After attending a couple of ISKCON functions, I decided that I must seriously consider Gaudiya Vaishnavism. I started to read more insightful books (Bhagavad Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam, etc.). I journeyed to India on seceral occasions, where I met with various Gaudiya Math missions. Eventually, through the mercy of Sri Sri Guru and Gauranga, I met one of the last surviving spiritual sons of Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Prabhupad.

As for the young mataji, I never got to meet her again, but I've been long since at peace in that regard. Apparently she had her guru, and then eventually, I had mine. Sad fact of life among western devotees, but I've learned to accept it rather than lend my mind to thoughts of frustration from politics and religion.

I've searched for religion and spirituality for many years (I've been four religions thus far), and now, I believe I found my home. I have Krishna, I have my dear Gurudev; I can ask for nothing more.

I offer my dandavat pranams to my Vartma-pradarsaka Guru, who illuminated my path to ultimate spirituality, the way to Krishna dasyam. Wherever you are, whatever you may be doing, I shall never forget you, and I will always remain your well-wisher.

Guest guest

Sai was a previous name of Sriman Siddhaswarupananda. He had many disciples and was leader of a group called Krsna Yoga Community on all of the Hawaiian Islands. He and his disciples became disciples of Srila Prabhupada.

A Back to Godhead magazine in 1971 carried the story of this, thwe cover of the maGAZINE was a picture of Lord Krsna killing Sri Bhisma with the wheel weapon.

I became a little serious about Krsna Yoga after reading a small book published by KYC called Sai Speaks, one I had received from a friend of Siddha's who was president of Laguna Beach Temple in 1971. Later, I had the great fortune of learning the importance of Srtila Prabhupada from his disciple, Sriman Siddhaswarupananda. His writings are currently displayed on this internet site, and his wonderful lectures are often discussed here.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

mahaksha: I became a little serious about Krsna Yoga after reading a small book published by KYC called Sai Speaks, one I

had received from a friend of Siddha's who was president of Laguna Beach Temple in 1971.

Ah, yes--"Sai Speaks: Pleasure Is the Goal." The book was sent to the printer before Siddha (Sai) joined ISKCON, and it came back fromthe printer afterward. We stayed up late for many nights gluing an update inside each copy of PIG, as we called it in shorthand.

Guest guest

I remember the update, too, describing the great influx of devotees into the movement. I also have nice memories of new nabadwipa news, and the wonderful pamphlets by gaurasundara, ontological primer, and the discussion between vv and tejas. I still have the ol NNNs, and the photos of long haired jivan, sashisekara and vrsni on the electric stuff.

Did you go to the huge gathering on kauai just before the breakup, summer of 73. Whatta party?

haribol, ys, maghak

M: Did you go to the huge gathering on kauai just before the breakup, summer of 73. Whatta party?

Nope. In February of '73 Goursundar asked me to go the mainland and then to South America to establish Krishna concsiouness in Peru. In the summer, I was working in San Diego, trying to save money to get to Sudamerica. By the time I had the money and left, I ran into the political backwash caused by the breakup. That's when Srila Prabhupada asked Satyaki and me to return to Hawaii to help Sudama.

Guest guest

Yeah, I knew this is why we missed each other prior to our meeting under sudamas leadership. I remember russel who kept talking about SA, and you and vrsni were also on the way. Oh well!

How about honomu (little chicago), when you were stationed in the house next to the pool hall. Rough service, brah!

The transition was a bit for the nerves, especially when sudama faced the same turmoil that plagued gaurasundara. Sudama did not want to cheat anyone, and anyone else would have been impossible to work with. But the folks came, and we lost our good rep with the community.

But the ol group, suparna, tk, sasishekara, rg and his brother. I did browse balabhadras ISKCOWP website, and the photos show him to be the same very hard worker as always, just all gray and old like the dude I see in the mirror=;-}

haribol, ys, mahak

mahak: How about honomu (little chicago), when you were stationed in the house next to the pool hall. Rough service, brah!

Yeah, Honomu was a trip. The local unemployed dudes couldn't handle us. It was bad enough when it was just Satyaki and me chanting, or maybe Brishni and Leela and Kusha, but when we had festivals, they went nuts! Nowadays, the town is kind of artsy, with a bunch of shops along the road to snag the tourists on their way to Akaka Falls. But that house is still there, and 25 years more run down than 25 years ago. I remember hearing that Dhananjaya Pandit lived in the same house a few years later. Small world, Big Island.

Yep, Balabhadra is still a hard worker, although Chaya says he's wearing out (back, at least). I saw Tarun and Sundari recently; they spent a couple of days with us in December. Brishni has hit a rough stretch financially. He's about due for a break. Sashishekhar lives on Kauai, and I hear RG is on the west side of the Big Island somewhere, but I don't know where. I lost track of Suparna long ago, unfortunately. Prahladahlada lives in Hilo, where he has a law practice. Life goes on within you, and without you . . .