IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

tattoos

Rate this topic

Guest guest

just wondering about what devotees think about them in general, and if they are acceptable.

Nothing KC below the waist.

But you would need to consider the places that these KC images may go - for example restrooms etc. and also take into consideration the activities that you might perform.

Don't tattoos present a body conciousness problem?

My dear vaisnava,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Couldn't tattoos, if gotten in the right frame of mind, be similar to applying tilak? Tattoos can be a devotee's way to showing the world that, "My body is a temple of the Lord to be used in His service."

Hare Krsna!

Your servant,

Narayani d.d.

I think that rather we should be concerned with tattooing Krsna's name into our hearts and minds.

I personally don't think that tattoos should be of a KC nature. This turns the images and names of Krsna into mundane art which we will display on our body as a type of decoration.

I cannot see how they can be compared to tilak!

Dayal Govinda dasa

So many tattooed devotees r joining these days, they've gone ahead even adjusting the mantras.

nigama kalpa-tattoo galitam phalam...

If u tattoo yourself with Holy Names, then your body can't b burned.

Cremation Forbidden. In essence, u become a Living Walking Deity.

Guest guest

Ref:Narayani mataji's opinions.

Haribol all,

Matiji said that nothing connected to Krsna can be called mundane art, but that depends on our perception. If we see Krsna as mundane then he will be mundane. Putting tattoos on is also very painful and not be taken as austerity. What did Srila Prabhupada think of tattoos? tilaks are put on places where each deity resides in our body, tilaks are there to remind us that the lord is everywhere, tattoos remind us of how painful it was.

ys

J

Guest guest

very great article ! i myself just got the "govindam adi purusam' mantre around my arm...

I am very opposed to these tattoos because of so many offenses. This young man has Lord Visnu on the bottom of his leg - near his foot. At some point in time he will either:

1. sit on his leg - on the image.

2. press the image to the dirt or floor when sitting.

3. touch his leg against some unclean object, ie a toilet.

The list is endless and these things will happen. We would not bring Bhagavad Gita into the bathroom. Why would you bring the images of the Lord to such places?

Rationalize all you want but this opens the door to many many offenses to the Lord's image. It does not matter where the image is -

Guest guest

There seems to be allot of discussion on whether devotional tattoos are OK or not; as a devotee of 30 years and being the pocessor of devotional tattoos myself I would give a qualified yes. That our main aim as devotees is to "tattoo" our loving sentiments for Sri Sri Radha & Krishna within our heart, is true enough; but we also require uddipan, stimulus for remembering Radha/Krishna and our dedication to Their service. Therefore, we wear tilak, kanti mala, sikha, dhoti and so forth on our bodies. Tattoos are not required nor desired by everyone, I dont' think anyone is saying that they are. As for placement and appropriate images, this is common sense according to proper respect for these sacred names and symbols. I have never heard that a body cannot be cremated with the Holy Names written on them, only that cremation is not appropriate with the pictures of Vishnu tattva, etc. On the contrary we should wear the Holy Names on our bodies, as recommended by Srila Bhaktivinod Thakur; and as is often done with carved stamps. Previously, when a pilgrim would visit Dvarka, their shoulder would be permanently branded with the Sudarshan Chakra. Mantras, Omkara, Chakra and other sacred symbols have traditionally been tattooed on devotees in India for many, many years. I do not recommend pictures of incarnations, etc be tattooed on the body; but regardless of anyone's mentality or viewpoint, the divine rupa of the Lord can NEVER become "mundane". If someone isn't into it, don't do it; but let's be open to those who are and help with relevant and accurate guidance. Please forgive any offenses and imperfections. Humbly, Bankiji.

I remember the next day after I got my tattoos of Krishna's lotus feet on my arms; I awoke with a wonderful feeling as if I had performed some intense tapasya. The only thing I could compare it with was the fire sacrifice for my second initiation in ISKCON just before Prabhupada passed away. These two events both created in my mind a very powerful effect and sense of purification. For days after the tattoos, until they were healed, I was experiencing a very profound feeling of purification and well-being.

I love my lotus feet tattoos. I want to get some more tattoos someday, like maybe the mahamantra tattooed around my wrists. I would love to get a picture of Prabhupada tattooed over my heart.

It's hard to describe the feeling of getting a tattoo, but it seems like a spiritual tapasya. Many cultures use tattooing as a form of spiritual penance and tribal initiation. Tattooing has deep significance in many asian and polynesian cultures. I personally recommend spiritual tattoos, though I doubt that Prabhupada would ever have endorsed it. The act of tattoing of piercing the skin is probably considered in the lower modes by Vedic standards.

However, for people in the lower modes it might be acceptable as a way to express one's faith.

There is a form of yoga called jada-yoga where one plucks out all the hairs on his head one at a time. I has some effect on those that practice it. Tattooing is some form of self-effacement that helps one transcend pain and achieve some higher platform, though it has it's limits as to how much it can help.

Guest guest

Fantastic artwork Guruvani prabhu! I've several pieces of krishna artwork myself. It becomes a very good preaching point I have to say!

Guest guest

Hare Krsna Prabhus,

i just wanted to ask is there any pastimes where Srila Prabhupada or previous acharyas commented on tattoos, if they didnt then what does that mean? Is there any sastric injunction with tattoos? if not then what does that mean?

ys J

Guest guest

Ascending, pending approval

Watching so many fall through the loop hole.

In awe when the great beyond will arrive

Gauging rearranging the thoughts in my mind

Arriving in a parallel world is so

Being reborn again from head to toe

From a to z and left to right

Seeing where fate will take my life

My own, not quite

Living vicariously through someone else’s sight

From pink sun to yellow moon

Knowing my time will be soon

With arms and mind open to the call

Helping people seem 10 ft tall

Doubting fellow man and your brethren

Wonder why no one can believe in heaven

acceptable. to you man.

best tatoo is a Tilaka going upward in 12 parts of the body.

Other tatoos are I have no comment

personally I think they are not good for mental and phisical health. I might be wrong though.

Guest guest

I apologise, you got good talent, but is that poem meant to answer my question?

Ys. J

turned into mundane art....if you do it out of love and devotion it is not mundane.

I am proud to be the owner of 10 K.C. tattoos (all of which are on my forearms from my wrist to my elbow) including Srila Prabhupada AND Sri Sri Radha Krsna.

They are an amazing preaching tool and there is NO way of getting around professing your faith to others! Its on your sleeve so to say!!!

All the worlds scriptures say to mark your body with names of God...so for those inclined....have at it!

And when it comes to going into he bathroom or any offenses that can be made involving your tattoos...JUST ask for forgiveness...most people must not remember how loving and forgiving Krsna is.

Your servant

Yamaraja,

I would love to see pictures of your tattoos- is there any way you can post pictures for us to see? I've got two tattoos now, but they are not related to KC. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I'm planning on getting the Mahamantra on my forearm sometime though.

Hare Krishna!

Guest guest

what an interesting thread here...both my husband and I are devotees and tattoo artists (we have our own business)...we see no reason whatsoever why a devotee shouldn't get a tattoo!...be more worried that the studio is clean!