Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Missouri Cherokee Tribes proclaim Jewish Heritage

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Missouri Cherokee Tribes proclaim Jewish Heritage

by Staff

February 7, 2003

The Northern Cherokee Nation of the Old Louisiana Territory has recently shocked the world by claiming their ancient Oral legends tell of a Cherokee migration made to America from the area known as Masada.

This startling evidence is being offered to the public by Beverly Baker Northup whom is the spokesperson for their organization. The evidence offered in support of this connection to Cherokees escaping the mountain fortress of Masada is based in part of what Northup claims is stories passed down from elders and the similarity between ancient words.

Beverly Baker Northup believes there is a connection between these two peoples based on evidence of Jews of the region around Masada during Roman times wearing braided hair and the similarities that the spokesperson attributes to Hebrew language.

In explaining this connection Beverly Baker Northup is quoted as saying:

"The story has been kept alive among our Cherokee people that the Sicarii who escaped from Masada, are some of our ancestors who managed to cross the water to this land, and later became known as Cherokees. (Please note the phonetic resemblance of Si'cari'i and, Cherokee or Tsa'ra-gi'.)"

Northup claims that the famous scholar Josephus wrote that there were escapees from Masada in which the spokesperson for the Northern Cherokee states that this is evidence that gives credence to this connection between the Cherokee Indians and the Jews.

In addition to other startling claims, there is also the belief by the Northern Cherokee that a rock that was uncovered in Tennessee in 1889 that is named the Bat Creek Stone, proves a transatlantic connection to Jews. Northup believes that the scratched writings on the rock indicate that the stone is evidence of a first century Atlantic Crossing to America by these escaped Jews that later became known as the Northern Cherokee Indians.

I don't know all the details, but apparently when the Jews were wandering for 40 years, there were 12 tribes that got separated, and scattered throughout the world. There are also Jews in India who claim to be part of these lost tribes, and apparently follow certain laws that haven't been practiced by Jews for thousands of years.

Guest guest

First of all the spelling is Tsa-La-Gi,(not Tsa-Ra-Gi), and there is a story passed from the Elders of a trip across the water or ocean. Althoug the story is more coincident with Plato's account of Atlantis than that of the Hebrews. Yet, the Morman religion associates the Tsa-La-Gi with the tribe of Dan. Whomever is or has started this story is gravely mistaken on a many issues. And being of the Ani-Yun-Wia (Tsa-La-Gi)People I am very offended to be associated with the tribe known as the Habiru (Sumarian term for Hebrew/Jews the unwanteds). Furthermore, the practices of the Tsa-La-Gi are not in any function comparable to those of the Jews.

Wado,

Danesga

Guest guest

Tsa-Ra-Gi would be correct in the Elati dialect of the Cherokee Language. Elati (Lower Cherokee, Eastern Cherokee), which is mostly extinct is reported to have had an r. I ran across this on atleast one web site. The Lower Cherokee is the group which is reported to have had an exiled priesthood or the the Ani Kutani who offended the creator when they misused their power such that it touched off a centuries long war. I want to note that Kutani is only one letter off from Kuhani which would have been an older spelling of Kohan the Hebrew word for priest.

Guest guest

With respect--why should you be offended by such a possibility....anything is pssible.we Native Americans for the most part have always listened with "open minds and open hearts:..It is not a threat to the Cherokee who have a history of being of many different peoples.

Tecumseh said "respect others in their views". Perhaps you should sit with 'being offended' and in truth know why it is you feel such.

Elderwillow

are you sure they are not just trying to emigrate to Israel? ;-) ..they are so used to living on a reservation...

but seriously folks: I doubt that very much. there was not enough time to change their language to such an extent.

Guest guest

The Ani-Kutani were not Hebrews. They were from the Olmec civilization. This is where the Cherokee Nation first evolved from. (This comes from Red Hawk, who is a 94-year-old Cherokee living in Virginia). They were a very advanced civilization much like the following Toltecs and Aztec.

The story he tells is handed down through his family, who is descended from the last Ani-Kutani.

Three thousand years ago the Olmec had a great civilization. Like most Native American tribes, they waged war against other tribes and on occassion adopted those from other tribes. The Ani-Kutani were the priestly clan. There were only seven clans including this one. There was no bird clan at that time.

When the drought occurred and lasted for so long, some of the Ani-Kutani introduced blood-letting into their ceremonies. When the drought continued, they told the people that wasn't enough and went on to sacrificing the enemy they captured. (Much as the Aztec). The similarities are amazing. The Toltec and Aztec had seven clans, four directions, etc.

The High Priest of the Ani-Kutani reluctantly performed these human sacrifices. The clan was very powerful and the gods became those Ani-Kutani who had died. Very much like powerful kings.

When the drought continued, this Ani-Kutani went on a journey to seek word from the Creator as what should be done. While he was gone, the adopted men of the Ani-Kutani imprisoned the family and relatives of the High Priest.

He was gone for some time and upon his return with word from the Creator, he found these other Priests performing a horrible ceremony in which they had killed and sacrificed a maiden from each clan, and his own daughter. They had removed their hearts and entrails while they were still alive and then skinned them and danced in the skins.

This High Priest returned accompanied by and Eagle and Raven. The Eagle flew ahead of him and the Raven perched upon his shoulder. When he viewed the horrible ceremony, both creatures flew to the top of the temple and he quietly went among the people who had not attended these horrible ceremonies and gathered them together.

They held the others in the courtyard before the temple where they could see what occurred. The High Priest released his family and then they butchered the other priests who had dared kill the people and his daughter.

Then he gathered those people who had not followed the horrible practices and left that land, going North. They followed the Eagle and as they traveled the Raven rode upon the shoulder of the High Priest. It is said the Raven spoke to the High Priest with the voice of the Creator, giving him instructions so that the People would never again committ human sacrifices and would stay to the ancient ways the Creator gave them.

Thus the sign of the Ani-Kutani was the Raven. After many years of living in the land the Creator led them to, once again many of the Ani-Kutani had become powerful and made the people worship them. They had begun to hold sacrifices of black sheep (because these were the purest in color).

They became so oppressive that the People cried out to the Creator and seven Priests, medicine men, were chosen to go and seek word from the Creator. One of these were from the family of the High-Priest of the Ani-Kutani.

They went to the mountains and did get word from the Creator who showed them "time-untime", the future that the Keetowah speak of. While they were gone, the People, led by a great Chief destroyed the rest of Ani-Kutani, men, women and children. Only the one remained and his clan became the Ani-Tsiskwa, Bird clan.

While each of the seven saw a part of the prophecy the Creator presented to them, this Priest saw the prophecy in whole and it has come down through the centuries in this family. Sometimes it has been handed down through father to son, sometimes father to daughter, mother to daughter and mother to son. But each of these medicine people have held the name of Raven in one way or another.

thanks for this story. most American Indians worshiped ghosts and sometimes the demonic spirits took over their priests leading to horrible acts of cruelty in their worship ceremonies. the New Age folks often try to whitewash these Indian cultures and present only the noble and positive things about it. While some tribes were very cruel, some were very noble too. Olmec civilization is very mysterious, only a few tribal legends can be tied to it, and a small number of artifacts.

Guest guest

This particular group is a fraud. This is easily proven by contacting the secretary of state in Arkansas and Missouri, both of which Beverly Baker Northup claims state recognition for her tribe. Both states deny this claim. Beverly Baker Northup also charges a fee to apply to her tribe. She claims this is for genealogical purposes (she is not a registered genealogist) however when one applies, one must provide one's own genealogy.

More recently, she has sent out a newsletter stating anyone enrolled before 1980 (if memory serves) will be dropped from the rolls. Beverly split from another tribe, the Northern Cherokee Nation of Missouri and Arkansas some years back and has since festered close to a half million dollars out of applicants and Federal Assistance to Native American (ANA) grants claiming they are for preparation for federal recognition. By BIA standards, the Northern Cherokee Nation of the Old Louisiana Territory have never, do not now, nor ever hope to fit the criteria for federal recognition.

Beverly's husband Bob, is an AnaBaptist preacher with his own church and he is the one who originally began the rumor that the Northern Cherokee Nation of the Old Louisiana Territory are the lost tribe of Jews. Anyone who questions Beverly Baker Northup's genealogy is in for a long haul, as she makes it available to no one. She claims a gentleman from Arkansas "stole" her genealogy... please tell me how one's genealogy is stolen and how is it stolen if no one has ever seen it? She refuses to make it available to anyone, just as she refuses to make available financial disclosures of the monies taken in by her tribe although their constitution demands that it be made available when requested.

If she doesn't like you, she drops you from the rolls. There is no rhyme or reason to her madness, she just does as she wants. The rolls are closed, then open, then closed, then open again. The Northern Cherokee Nation of the Old Louisiana Territory is a famiy run business. Nothing else. Sure, there are people of Cherokee descent who have enrolled with her tribe, and there are people of no native descent who have enrolled in her tribe and if they kiss her butt enough, they are awarded high ranking positions in her organization.

When cornered, she claims that whoever is demanding she be forthright is out to take over the tribe and replace her as chief. She's chief for life, by the way. She keeps threatening to step down, but only when she's being asked for the truth. Of course, if you face up to her, she'll tell you God is going to get you because she is honest (gag) and doing His will (double gag) and He is protecting her (eyes rolling).

And people wonder why many natives want nothing to do with "Christian" religions.

One day, it will all catch up to her. And when it does, I'll be there, as will hundreds if not thousands of others that she has scammed.

Guest guest

I don't know whether this is gonna let me post or not as it says only registered people can post. I'll know very soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

1.] Cheroees today are CHRISTIAN.

2.] There are people today who think Cherokee are Jeewish or part Jewish, but I am not one of them. I respect their opinion, but the vast majority of Cherokee, by vast I mean 98 percent or more likely 99.9 % -- think this is another way for White people to say They we had "Old World" blood because we were so "civilized".

Truth is pactically ALL Cherokee converted to Christianity between 1790s when the Moravian (German), Presbytrerian, and Methodist missions were established. I think maybe some Baptists also. Traditional dances were mostly forgotten but Keetoowah Nitehawk Societies (nitehawk is owl) started springin' up after the American (really during) Civil War (1860s) and some of the old dances were revived -- but these societies were all started by Christian Ministers.

3. There is no respembence at all between the Cherokee language and the Israeli tongue, well, the word for God is similar. My friend will probably dispute this, but that's okay. Coincidences happen. It takes a lotta coincidences taken together before an event can be said not to be random.

4. Cherokee tradition says the people origiinally came "from the South", and there are people or the Orinoco River in South American that are said to be related according to Margaret (sp?) Meade I think it was -- same pottery designs or something . . . Same was said to be true for the Yucatan, some similarities. That was interesting what somebody said about Oaxaca (Olmecs). But olmect are not related to Aztecs -- Aztecs are related to Utes and Comanches and came from the North to settle in the Valley of Mexico.

5. Cherokee language is most closely related to Six Nations (Iriquois) and they are related also to Siousian Languages. If you look at where these people all settles, they "could have" come up the Mississippi from Louisiana with the Cherokee goin' up the Tennessee River to its head waters, the Iriquois turnin North at the Ohio river to the headwaters, and the Lakota (Sioux) goin' strait north up the Mississippi. But I am just guessin' as to how they got to where they wound up.

6. Word of advise, never go up to a full blood Cherokee and tell him his people are really "Jewish" -- as an Oklahoman and a mixed blood Cherokee -- I know how they get mad at people who make this claiim. Makin' this claim is gonna discredit Ms. Northup if she really believes it, to most other Cherokee.

7. I have a friend who believes 100 percent that the Cherokee/Jewish ideas and I'll tell him about this conversation-- he has really researched it and believes it and is a proponent of it. It is good to be able to disagree and still have respect for another person. Altho his opinion and mine differ, I respect him and he has always respected me.

vance

Guest guest

I am the same person who made the last post --

8. Cherokees don't live on a "reservation" and never have.

9. Tsa-la-ghee (corrupted to Cherokee) is NOT what Cherokees call each other -- Cherokee call ourselves Ani-Yunwiya -- I think Tsa-la-ghee is Muskogee (Creek) or Shawnee or Chickasaw -- I forget which. Some white man I guess asked one of their enemies "who are those folks?" and that name stuck.

So if this word was found at Masada that sounded a little like Tsa-la-ghee -- well maybe it was one o' these tribes that was Jewish. Oops, Tsa-la-ghee was a word for the enemy of these people, so maybe the enemy of the Jews came here too and started . . . oops, that doesn't make any sense any way you look at it, does it? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

vance

Guest guest

Aye Vance,

That's why I put quotes around "Christian." Many Native peoples today identify themselves as Christian although I'm seeing more and more with influences like Fred Phelps and Focus on the Family (and I used to love Focus on the Family and still listen to Dr. James Dobson's personal radio show) bashing old traditions and still referring to Native peoples as "heathens" and "pagans," many Natives are refusing to use the term Christian. Heck, I know of many non-natives who refuse to refer to themselves as Christian anymore.

One of the ways Beverly Baker Northup offers "evidence" for her tribe coming from the Jews is one of the many words we use for God. Yehowa. Sounds a bit like Jehova, huh? That's because the literal translation is Jehova. We also use the words Unelanvhi, Uhelotequah, Galv Ladi, Agidoda, and Adanvdo.

What people don't understand is, the translation from Enlgish to Cherokee can be very tricky and some sounds are hard to pronounce in the old vernacular. Native languages tend to have gutteral and nasal sounds and many have little of any at all, lip movements. In time, certain words become corrupted and end up as "slang," taking away from the original meanings.

I agree with your statement about being able to disagree with someone and still have the ability to respect them. However I must forcefully say, that I cannot respect anyone so dishonest and dishonorable as Beverly Baker Northup or her husband Bob, not to mention those in her "government" who know what she is doing and help her hide it in trade for monetary gain.

Of course, I tend to agree with you most often than not Vance, and I always enjoy our conversations. It's good to see you again oginali.

Guest guest

I can't speak about ms. northrup, but speaking as a Jew, I can tell you that there were NO survivors of Masada; any who would've been left after the suicide would've been killed by the Romans, who were quite thorough.

I have been to Masada, btw; like the upper portion of Devil's Tower in Wyoming, it rises straight up, with the exception of the ramp the romans built (which is pretty steep in its own right). It's not by accident that the jews took it over as a fortress; it was a pretty tough nut to invade (remember; it took the romans something like a year or two just to build the ramp).

Guest guest

Has any DNA analysis been performed. It should be fairly easy to ascertain through such means if there is any truth to the claim.

Guest guest

Yes research has been done regarding Native American dna and Hebrew/Jewish/Semitic dna markers. See the research by Michael Crawford of the University of Kansas. He has published a book about his findings. More recently see the research of a "Mormon", Thomas Murphy of Edmonds Community College in Washington state. He attempted to "prove" the link because his religion teaches there is a link between Native Americans and the ancient Israelites. In both cases the dna research concluded there was no such link. The dna markers for Native Americans showed a north and central Asian link but nothing Jewish. Bob Degnen

That is what we call ourselves, just like all the other tribes on this island. In every language, the people have, or had, a name for themselves in which is translated to mean the "Real People", "Men of men", "People among people". Cherokee is not our tribes true name. Aniyvwiya is and when translated it comes out "Real People", or "They originate of the People". It means that we were born as everyone else in this world, just that we were born to the group who's language we say it in.

Guest guest

Are you saying that the Cherokee's are of the "Lost Tribe of Israel?

My oldest keeps telling me that. Joanne McCormick

Guest guest

The Cherokee are not the lost tribe of Israel. Although there may be DNA that links them to Jewish heritage, that is simply because down the line somewhere, someone was a Jew. I am Native American Indian, with European Jewish ancestors.

If you do DNA on me, you will find the Jewish markers. This of course, does not mean that my Native American Indian ancestors are from the lost Jews. It simply means that one of my Indian ancestors had a kid with someone Jewish or of Jewish ancestry.

Being Jewish is more than an ethnic identity, just as being Native is more than an ethnic identity. It's about culture, tradition, faith, and history. It's also about truth, honor, and respect. To claim that the Cherokee people as a whole, came from Jews, is plain ridiculous.

Anything Beverly Baker Northup or her Anabaptist preacher Bob posts regarding Native culture, religion, heritage, tradition, genealogy, or language, should be taken with a grain of pure hoo ha.

http://www.honestinjun.org

Guest guest

I appreciate what you said especially about the Christian part. I am Cherokee and I am also a great believer in the Great Spirit(Yahweh) I also believe that Iam Israel. The Scriptures say that I have been grafted in by the blood of Yeshua(salvation of Yah). Grafted into Israel not Christianity which is actually Roman Catholism.As I study I see theat the church as I have raised in is nothing but a picture of the Catholic church. No wonder I have always been called rebellious by the church. Especially when I would begin to question my leaders about certain doctrine! Thanks again for your comments.

Walela

Guest guest

I'm a black american that follows Christ (but NOT a Christian). I don't have any real right to give my 2 cents in this thread because you guys are the real deal. My grandmother on my Dads side is part indian, but I called to ask from what tribe, she unfortunately said she didn't know.

Anyway I just wanted to say that I agree with the previous post, that ethnic identity is about the culture, tradition, faith, and history rather than DNA. A "Jewish" person that is born and dies as a Cherokee, is a Cherokee and vice-versa.

I too am "rebelious" in that I look outside the box and do not accept the many untruths taught in Christian churches. I do follow Yehoshua, through the Tora and the New Testament. It's following this religion, heritage and tradition that grafts me into the Jewish culture. Not having a drop of their DNA.

That being said, regarding lineage, by pure common sense it has to be agreed that humans multiply. The opposite side to this same coin is that the multiplication had to start somewhere. Meaning, at some point we had to be tied together at a central beginning. Our features, skin tones and hair color are only by-products of circumstance, weather and available food sources as groups began splitting off.

I've really enjoyed the history lessons I've learned from this thread. And very gratefull to the friend that provided me this link.

Guest guest

I was intrigued by your story of the ani-Kutani. I was raised with the understanding that I was of Kuntani descent. For years I did not have a clue what this was (I thought my grandmother was just telling more stories). Now I am starting to hear the story of my ancestors over and over on the 'net! This story, in part, fit with what I was taught. There was also new material here. I could go on & on... but I will leave it at that. The ingrained habit of secrecy is still strong in me. I just made mention of my mother's alleged Kutani acestry on my new web site at http://www.jubchuqun.com/album-cahokia/ ... and I also own the domains ani-kutani.com and anikutani.com. I have a experimental/test site I am working on at www.ani-kutani.com. Feel free to check it out. (Don't bother criticising... lots of things I am working on still...!)

Lee Lewis in Cahokia, IL

Guest guest

I take issue with that blanket statement. Many (most) Cherokee today are Christian. Not all... and I proudly claim myself in the latter category. It's a very complicated situation and I am very saddened by the tide of events in the last few hundred years that has washed so much of my people's traditions and culture away.

Lee Lewis (aka "Li Luyi")

Cahokia, IL