Hi, I just started chanting two mantras:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare Hare Rama

Hare Rama Rama Rama

Hare Hare

and

Om Shri Hanumate Namah

and since I've been doing this, I've been feeling strange. I was lying in bed today...(but I was definately not sleeping) and I just closed my eyes for a second and then I lost control of my body. I couldn't speak or scream, I couldn't open my eyes and I was totally concious but I was not in control and felt disoriented.

Then after a minute or so I could open my eyes again. But then a few minutes later I closed my eyes again and this same nightmare happened. This happened 4 times in a row until I was too frightened to lie down any further.

As well, although I felt a pleasant feeling during and directly after chanting the mantras, I felt ill, dizzy and disoriented shortly afterwards.

Am I doing something wrong? Somebody told me that spirits could be attacking me. Could that be true?

What you describe sounds like you had become awake in your astral body while it was still in the physical body. Not being aware of what is happening can be frightening.

This used to happen to me some years ago before I started chanting. I had no idea what was going on. Tried to move my body and I couldn't. At times I would experience an INTENSE ringing and vibration running throughout my body(astral). Turns out this is more common then we realize. If one knows what is happening and can relax into it and not fight the sensations one will find themselves lifting out of the physical body all together. If not other weird experiences may take place. For instance one time I started spinning. My astral body had extended its arms at a 45 degree angle to the rest of my body and I started spinning like a propeler blade on an airplane. My arms went right through the bed and my gross form which I could now see at an incredible speed. I was very very scared.

You are chanting Hare Krsna. The odd phenomenon of this world will subside in due course as we continue to chant.

It is best to avoid chanting mantras to Hanuman unless one is guided by an experienced sadhaka and unless one follows the prescribed rules and regulations.

After visiting astrologer, I was told to worship Lord Hanuman to alleviate problems. I am surprised at some of the experiences described here.

Is it possible for someone to describe proper way to worship Lord Hanuman.

Guest guest

Thanks for your advice. I stopped chanting the Hanuman mantra but I still feel strange after chanting. When I'm chanting, this mist builds up around me and it's difficult for me to see. Then afterwards, I have difficulty talking and controlling the movements of my body...although I feel this pleasant feeling, I feel like I'm not in control. Any comment you might have on this would be very helpful.

Guest guest

the real qestion is why do you chant this mantra what is your intention is it to have odd experiences or are you sincerely attempting to reach krisna conciousness

Guest guest

Just keep practising your current spiritual process,. Chant the mantras with devotion and trust in Lord Hanuman's divine guidance and protection. Nothing harmful can happen to you when you chant Lord Hanuman's name and Lord Rama's name, you are merely experiencing certain spiritual symptoms.Keep chanting devotedly and the Lord himself will guide you.

As Srila Prabhupada once said in a similar situation: "..just keep chanting Hare Krishna and it will all go away..."

btw: only very powerful ghosts can take control over your body while still awake and not intoxicated but the Holy Name will still chase them away. Hare Krishna!

i have read somewhere that, the situation faced by you can be described as 'karmik release'...it happens when your bad karma is supposed to be burnt due to the powers of mantra...its good and bad at the same time...bad because sometimes its a death like experience (extreme case)...and good because its a sign that your mind-body-soul getting cleaner!