IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Raguraman

Can Krishna be compared to Allah or Jehovah ?

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna,

How can Jehovah be compared to LORD KRISHNA ?

In Exodus, Jehova orders Moses to kill his own brothers.

For what.......

Because some ignorant Jews made an ICON of bull and started worshipping it. How can all merciful God give such an order. Jehovah seems to be so envious that he wanted those worsippers killed. I see insecurity in Jehova.

But Lord Krishna says in Bhagvad Gita that whoever or whatever you worship(DEVAS) actually you are worshipping me. No insecurity here as LORD KRISHNA is the true GOD.

In other places Jehovah punishes wives of David(I think so) by allowing David's son to rape their mothers. What kind of GOD can do such a thing ? How can anyone compare Jehovah to LORD KRISHNA. I am not being sectarian but trying to understand.

As for Allah, in Quran he orders his Prophet to kill pagans just because they are pagans. Even if there is any reason to kill pagans Allah seems to have special hatred for JEWS(Quran saya Jews have become pigs etc.). How can Allah be same as Lord Krishna.

Both GODS are insecure of their position and sometimes are filled with rage.

1) The bible has been edited by men, and thus we cant be certain of its 100% authenticity.

2) It is very simple to make blind criticisms against other religions, including Hinduism. Apparently Ramachandra unjustly killed Vali. Apparently Krishna stole the wives of married men and had affairs with them. Parashurama killed 21 generations of Kshatriyas. Etc, etc.

These types of accusations are mostly due to ignorance. A thorough study under proper guidance will remove our misconceptions about God and His teachings.

Can Vishnu be compared to Krsna? I can't and wouldn't even try to harmonize all the things in the Bible of Koran. I also wonder if all that is being attributed to Jehovah or Allah in those books should be. I don't know. But if someone tells me they accept that there is one Supreme Person who is the source of all and the controller of all and they call that Person Jehovah or Allah I just say allright that's perfect. Chant His name. I can appreciate someone else's point of view without feeling mine is being challenged.

We want to go beyond fearing God. We want to transcend asking Him for the trinkets of this world, or for virgins in the next.

But like the Bible says "The fear of God is the beginning of all wisdom." So at first we take on the various religious principles that are applicable for us concerning our present condition. At some point though that fear of doing something wrong and getting God mad at us fades and move on up to a more mature and intimate rasa.

But for the Christians we won't be able to harmonize all we read in the Bible.

Guest guest

Allah & Jehova are the same. From Jehova only the the concept "allah" originated.

And both were concepts. Like the our earliest forefathers

worshipped the (force behind)lightning and the storm out of awe, fear or necessity... More thinking ones in those regions created a super-natural concept 'Jehovah" and linked all forces to it. Jehova was a superman in human form. With manly passions of love and hate, at times he got appeased and at times enraged like siva. But he was never impartial as a father should be. He liked some, disliked some and selected and favoured tribes.

At a later stage Jehova was partitioned, like India and Pakistan, into Jehovah and Allah. Jesus Joseph Christ reformed the concept 'Jehovah' and Mohammed of Arabia propounded Allah. Satyameva jayate`.

How Krishna and Jehova be compared? While the Jehova was a concept, Krishna was a living entity. A King philosopher

who rules over the hearts through his sublime philosophy.

He did not instruct; but only opined that this should be followed or this should not. And he explained why.

He loved, had affairs with umpteen girls but never raped or subjugated them. Hatred was never seen on his radiant face, in spite of the worst provocations.

=anveshanam=

Can you explain the particular parts of Bible where I have problem.

My explaining the bible will be no better than that of a Muslim explaining the Gita. So I will stay away from trying. Theist and Ram have offered some good views on this.

All that is attributed to Allah or Jehovah is not necessarily true. Even the sanatana-dharma gets lost over time and corrupted: sa kaleneha mahata yogo nashtah parantapa, "Due to the passage of time the system of Yoga was lost." (Gita 4.2)

See the essence in all knowledge. Nonsectarian saints such as Prabhupada were able to see the harmony in all religions. Look for the essence, do not get stuck on the externals.

[Here is an interesting conversation with Srila Prabhupada]

Jyotirmayi: He said that in Christianity God has no name.

Prabhupada: Hm?

Jyotirmayi: God has no name in Christianity, but the son of God has a name. And before they use for a long time, and everywhere they were saying the name of Jesus Christ.

Prabhupada: But they say that in Christianity there is a name of God. They say. No?

Jyotirmayi: (French)

Prabhupada: But you said that His name be glorified.

Devotee: They say "Hallowed be Thy name."

Priest: But the name is not said.

Devotee: Yes.

Priest: Never said.

Devotee: Jesus said that "All I have taught you is not the total sum of the knowledge of God," he says, "but there is more to be told."

Prabhupada: That's all right. So if you have no name, then why don't you take this name, "Krsna"?

Prabhupada: What is the objection?

Man: (French)

Prabhupada: Caitanya Mahaprabhu says...Caitanya Mahaprabhu says, namnam akari bahudha nija-sarva-saktis.

namnam akari bahudha nija-sarva-saktis

tatrarpita niyamitah smarane na kalah

etadrsi tava krpa bhagavan mamapi

durdaivam idrsam ihajani nanuragah

Bahudha: God has many names. If you are missing, so you can take one of the name. Krsna is one of the names, so what is the objection? And Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "In this name, all the potencies of God is there." Namnam akari bahudha nija-sarva-sakti tatrarpita. That name is as powerful as God Himself. There is no difference between the name and God, because He is absolute. Here in the material world there is the difference between name and the person or the thing. If I am thirsty, if I simply chant "water, water, water," that will not appease my thirstiness. But the spiritual world, absolute, the name and the person is the same. Abhinnatvan nama-naminoh. Under the circumstances, if you are missing some name, so take this name. Why it should not be taken?

Priest: Yeah, but you can take "Rama," you can take "Parasurama," you can take (indistinct).

Prabhupada: Yes, yes, any name, any name.

Priest: Krsna has no special...

Prabhupada: No. Special there is. In this way, it is recommended in the sastra, recommended in the sastra: harer nama. Harer means of God. Harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam [Adi 17.21]. So this is the...We have to chant the name of God. This is the prescription. This is Vaisnava.

Priest: Does it matter...

Prabhupada: Now, there are thousands and thousands of names, that we also admitted. At least we have got sahasra-nama, visnu sahasra. But in another place it is said, other Upanisad, Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama...This name is recommended. Just like Agni Purana and Kalisantarana Upanisad, in this Vedic literature, this...

Priest: Yeah, but each Upanisad will recommend its own specific Deity, you know. Rama, as you say, Hare Rama. Or Siva.

Prabhupada: Yes, Rama is all right. Rama we chant. Hare Rama we chant. Hare Krsna and Hare Rama. Rama also we chant.

Priest: Or Siva. I mean, you see, in the Svetasvatara Upanisad.

Devotee: (Sanskrit)

Priest: I mean, what devotees? You have got bhakti also in the Saivite , all the others.

Pusta Krsna: The argument, if you say that it is not special, then you will say that you can chant any name.

Priest: Yes.

Pusta Krsna: We say that God's name is special, whatever name it is. Not that we eliminate God, saying He's not special. He is special. Whether you call Him by this authorized name or that authorized name, His name is special because it's nondifferent from Him. So not that we should just overlook the name of God because we're overlooking God. We do that, so we have to...

Prabhupada: Harer nama [Adi 17.21]. Harer nama means God's name.

Priest: You see, for instance, in Christianity for a long time there was a bhakti, and this bhakti was devoted to the name of Jesus. So for a very long time you had that Jesus bhakti. And in your country, in America today, like you have got the Hare Krsna, you have got also the Jesus devotees. Now, this is also present in many places. And the name does not matter. There is no name who has got the...Because then you find again what...

Prabhupada: No. If Jesus is the name of God, then you can chant. If Jesus is the name of God. But Jesus, Lord Jesus Christ, says that he is son of God. Of course, there is no difference between son and the father. That is another thing. But still, if I want the father, how by calling the name of son I can get the father? That is also another thing.

Priest: Yeah, but I mean, this is another point.

Prabhupada: But if you have got the father's name, why should you call Him by the son's name?

Priest: Yeah, but this is another discussion (indistinct). What we mean by father and son, you know, we don't mean it...

Prabhupada: That everyone's father and son is the same. If father says something and the son says...Just like in a big family, if the son orders something, it is as good as the father's order. That is our experience. But still, if you want to call the father, you will not get the father's response by calling the name of the son.

Priest: Jesus told us, "If you see me, you see the Father, because the Father cannot be seen." It was a common name. Yoshua was a common Jewish name.

Prabhupada: Yes. Hare Krsna. Now, one thing is that if we are interested in chanting the name of God, if it is available, then why should I chant the name of the son?

Priest: No, it is not that question. The question is...

Devotee: Excuse me for interrupting, but one thing was that you suggested that the name of Krsna is a very common name...

Priest: Yeah.

Devotee: ...in the sense that many people may be called Krsna. But the Supreme God is also called Krsna. So if you chant His name, you derive the benefit even if you're not thinking of Him as the Supreme.

Priest: Yeah, but for the Christian the same. Jesus is a very common name.

Devotee: That's all right. We're saying chant. Our spiritual master is teaching "You chant the name of God." That's the important thing.

Prabhupada: If you think that Jesus Christ's name is also, you can chant, we have no objection. We say that you chant the holy name of God, whatever you have got. That's all right.

Priest: And for a Muslim you mean to chant Allah.

Prabhupada: Yes.

Priest: Name Krsna, Allah, Jesus, (indistinct), what is the...

Prabhupada: Allah is not name. That is...It is not the name. It is just like the idea of God.

Priest: Yeah.

Priest: Allah means also (indistinct).

Prabhupada: But that is not the name. That is...Just like the President and Mr. Nixon. The President may be another person. Not only Nixon, but another person also may be. So President is the general understanding of the post. But still, one who occupies the post, he has got a name.

If you want to look around why Jahwe is so violent in the Bible then try and take a look around what currently happens in the world. It's the question of poverty and fundamentalism. Those who have nothing tend to radical world views.

The specific Jahwe faith starts with Moses. Moses and his people were slaves in Egypt. The Bible says that the Egyptians disregarded them. After the Exodus Moses needed good soldiers who would blindly follow him. That's why he revealed an invisible God. When the Israelites made a calf to be worshipped, they were in the tradition of worshipping God in the form of a bull, that could be found everywhere in the East and in Europe (e. g. Zeus) and is still alive today in India. If you have your God before your eyes, this gives you a kind of safety. But if your God is invisible, you need a prophet to tell you what God wants from you - and this prophet was Moses, who thereby became the leader of his people. That's why the Bible authors hate image worshipping since Moses. Furthermore, Moses made his tribes walk around through the desert for 40 years, until all the weak had died out and only the strong and fanatized were available. Those were the guys needed for conquering the land of Canaan.

Nevertheless, I would be very careful in comparing Krishna to Jahwe or Jahwe to Allah or any kind of this. In a globalizing world Jews, Christians and Muslims often say that they have the same God in order to seperate from Hindus or Buddhists. But if you take a closer look, Allah is not the same as Jahwe. Even in the Bible the God of the Old Testament is not the same as the God of the New Testament. Christians say that Jesus is the son of God, but to Jews and Muslims this would be a blasphemy. The Bible says that when Jesus declared himselm the son of God, the Jews became angry and tried to kill him.

To me, the "this God is better than that God" stuff is a more sophisticated version of "my brother is stronger than yours". I think this should not be. Peace to all.

There seems no explaination. It very much seems like some negative energy was unleashed on the planet during that time.

Although it is a realization of many sages that man & god are dependently arising. If a men are barbians their gods are bound to be not so different.

Guest guest

Didn't Krishna in essence create all the confusion about religion and different sects on purpose at the beginning of the Kali-yuga or whenever it was that he intentionally created seperation from himself? In a Satya-yuga doesn't everyone know that Krishna is God or is there differing views on God even in a Satya-yuga? If the glorifying of the Holy names of the Lord is the only real religion of the Kali-yuga then are all these sectarian religions serving any purpose?

Guest guest

"Look for the essence, do not get stuck on the externals."

bin laden and all the muslim terrorists and their supporters have found he essence of koran.

the essence is jihad.

is any one here able to convice them it is not?

has any one here really tried to open koran or hadith

and tried to find some essence in it?

if so, and if some message of peace and tolerane is found,

would the person be able to convince it to the terrorists?

if not, what is the use of it

telling the essence to the victims of terrorism?

9/11 happened.

hindu templse have been attacked,

hindu pilgrims have been attacked.

does any one think that HK temples

any where are sacrid to these jihadis?

are not the attacks on the hindu temples

not enough for the HK's

to wake up and tell the truth about islam?

when kshatriya spirit is put to sleep,

asuras rise to do adharma in a society.

Guest guest

Jehovah requires no other deity to take his place for there is non like him. This is why such an order was give, because to worship what is made of your own hands is worthy of death. Especially when you have witnessed the act of our Lord in Egypt.

former devotee, now With Christ upon who all depends

love and peace

Guest guest

In the end all the speculations as to which god is God supreme will be answered by Christ when he returns. There will be no question who is the the truth, the light, and the Way. I used to be a devotee of your Lord and attend the Berkeley temple. But it was through one of your founders books that I was drawn back to Jah. In the Bible my Lord says not to distain other gods, but still to worship the ONE LIVING GOD. For by him were all things made. And by the shed blood of his Son we are redeemed. You would ask, but why should God shed blood for man. It is because our Lord's devine Justice requires the shedding of blood, because Life is in the blood. Man is out of touch with God because of our denial of his Authority and our failure to Love and aid each other and so God requires a sacrifice from us that we may recognize our debt to the Most High. But no sheep our Goat has ever been enough. These were only for a sign pointing to the final sacrifice of God himself for man. His willingness to descend as a man and lay down his own life for us shows his unmeasurable love for us all. If this sounds like rubbish to anyone then ask yourselves, what has the God I adore done for me. If you are satisfied with the answers you find in your scriptures then praise God. Yet Eternal Salvation is given by the Blood of Christ alone. As he said himself; I and the Father are one. And Through Jesus is the only way to our Heavenly Father. This Reality must not be shunned by anyone, but embraced and realized daily. Because in the end every knee shall bow and sing praises to his Name. This is not about a Intellectual race of the Gods. But about the Awesome Concern our Lord has for each of us. For Jah is Love.

a former devotee

love and peace

I am working on a new version of the Bible where I have used the name of Krishna in all the places where it says God or Lord. I have shown how the name Christ is derived from the latin Christos from the Greek Krista which comes froma the Sanskrit Krishna.

Christ was a form of Krishna playing the role of a Jewish saviour. All this will be shown in my new version of the Bible called "The Divine Bible of Krishna".

It is better to let the Christians have their own bible. Hindus can read that bible if they want to know what Christians believe. It is not necessary to modify their Holy Scripture. Two kind of faiths will mix up when such kind of scripture is accepted among people. Hinduism is very rich in their holy scriptures. It does not need a bogus bible. Only by reading the name “Krishna” in the bible a lot of Hindus would start believe in the teaching of the bible rather than believing in the Vedas, Puranas, Smritis and other shaastras. The Hindu scriptures are not well known among Hindus and providing a scripture from another fate, with names of Hindu gods in it, will undoubtedly make Hindus more ignorant about their own religion.

Guest guest

Namaste,

In you last message you said Krishna stole wives of married men. Where are you getting this information? First of all Krishna liberated a kingdom. In that kingdom there were thousands of women kept there by the evil ruler. What happened was the women in the kingdom, after being liberated, said to Krishna any where we go now we will be looked on in shame. In order to protect them Krishna said tell everyone that you are married to me. In order to protect the women Krishna said that. He never slept with them or anything like that.

In the case of the bible, you are right; it has been changed by man. So we can't know for sure what the Truth is. In the case of the Quran it hasn't. If you go to Saudi Arab you will see that they have the first Quran written from Mohammed’s mouth locked up in a safe. So the quran hasn't been changed. I have read parts of the quran. I have spoken to many muslims and muslim scholars. They all say the same thing. Idol worshipers are pigs and they must be stopped or killed. They even said that if you are next to a muslim nation your government must convert to a muslim government or they will declare war on you. Read the quran and the Hadids for yourself. You will see. I have done the careful examination; the question now is if you will.

Namaste,

Ravi

Guest guest

I would say that anyone who wishes to argue that Christ is Krsna needs to read the Bible more, Because this is a lie. And in fact it was by this same lie that I was drawn back to Jesus. Anything that is truly Unique is Single, having non other like it. If you need to say that Christ is Krsna in order to exscape having to learn of the Living Lord of lords. Then you are willingly dwelling in deception. There is One God and He is the Father the Word and the Spirit of truth. We all shell Know this absolutely.AND in the final page of Revelation there is a warning about those who add or subtract from the Word of God. Check it out.

Former devotee now with Christ

peace and Love

Guest guest

Exodus 18:11 Now I know that the Lord is Greater the All gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.

Leviticus 19:4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make t yourselves molten images; I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 4:28-29 And there ye shell serve other gods;

the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.But if from thence thou shalt seek the Lord the God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all the heart and with all thy soul. When thou art in tribulation, and all these things are come upon thee, EVEN IN THE LATTER DAYS, if thou turn to the Lord thy God and shalt be obedient to his voice; (for the Lord thy God

is a Merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee; nor forget the covenant of the father which he sware unto them.

Any of you wondering How Jehovah feels about Islam their prophet and it's followers should read on Deuteronomy 13:1-18

Former devotee now with Christ

peace and love

Guest guest

Yes so he did, and yet The Father also calls Jesus the Almighty God, Nothing that Christ spoke are did was without the direct and total inspiration of our Father in Heaven. As he said "Whosoever shall receive theis child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me recieveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great." Also "Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name saying I am Christ; and the time draweth near; go ye not therefore after them. But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by." then he said "Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and great earthquakes shall be is diverse places, and famines, and pestilence; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven. But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my names sake. and it shall turn to you for a testimony. Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

to be continued

Peace and Love