IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Murray

Karma and animals

Rate this topic

We are all subject to the laws of karma, good, bad or neutralized by loving service to the Lord.

What of those souls in animal bodies?

Are animals subject to the law of karma?

If not, how do they move on after leaving their bodies?

Murray, the way I have come to understand it is those souls presently encased in animal forms have arrived at the state due to past karma. While living as animals they do not accumulate more karma but progress back towards a human form in an automatic way.

On attaining once again a human form they again begin to be held responsible for their deeds.

These are just general thoughts and sorry i can't go any further as more questions can be raised.

I'm sure some here can bring scriptural evidence to make this more clear for the both of us.

My understanding is as Theist says. I think there is a progression one takes from one species to the next. Of course this can jump, for instance if an animal receives prasadam he makes spiritual advancement and may more rapidly attain the human form of life.

Guest guest

Animals know only three things: 1) eating, 2) protecting themselves and their clan and 3) procreating. They engage in these activities as per the natural instinct without any emotion attached to their actions. They are also not endowed with thinking ability like humans and hence are not held responsible for their actions. Thus their actions do not attract Karmic reactions and after death, they progress to the higher state. e.g. a cow is considered to be a more developed state compared to a tiger (which has more Tamoguna in it). However, humans indulge in all sorts of actions (mostly bad!) even though they know what they are doing. Thus for every action they are responsible and Karmic reaction is attracted. A human birth does not come on a platter!!! For the worst Karmic reactions done during a human life, he/she certainly gets one or two births in the lower animals before gettingback his human birth. Last but not the least, the theory of Karma is very tough to understand as the Lord Krishna Himself had told Arjuna, that even the Yogis who have spent their lives in meditation also were unable to understand this theory completely!

The pancha maha-yajnas required for all householders to perform include feeding the insects and animals within one's house daily. This is considered one of the great and important sacrifices one must perform. By giving prasadam to the insects and animals one helps them advance spiritually. This makes up for our inadvertant killing of many other insects and animals from our daily living.

Guest guest

Right now we should concentrate on feeding the humans because most of the humans I know are animals. We need some real humans in the world then the animals will be alright.

I am thinking of the Mastya Avatar, Kurma Avatar, & Varadha Avatar. And stories of Buddha telling of a previous incarnations as a quail (can post it if any are interested).

Do you think gods are subject to laws of karma as well?

I am thinking a manifestation perhaps is not but an incarnation very much appears to be subject to natural laws such as karma or gravity while on the Earth.

Guest guest

The Gods are also subject to the law of Karma. But, from the epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata, we can observe that, all the Actions that God did, were always for the Benefit of others and not for Himself. Any action that is done for the benefit of Public does not attract Karmic reaction, thus God never truly did Karma as such. There is only one instance, where such a Karmic reaction was attracted by God, when Shri Rama hit Vali from behind the tree (He is not supposed to hit from the hiding) as He could not tolerate the injustice done by Vali to Sugreeva, his own younger brother. For this Karma, God, in Shri Krishnavtara, was hit by a hunter in His foot, when God wanted to return to His Abode. God strictly follows the rules Himself, that He has laid.

The Gods are also subject to the law of Karma.

Krishna declares Himself beyond the effects of Karma in the Gita:

na mam karmani limpanti

na me karma phale-spriha

iti mama yo' bhijanati

karmabhir na sa badhyate

"There is no Karma that affects Me; nor do I aspire for the fruits of action. One who understands this truth about Me also does not become entangled in the fruitive reactions of work."

If one understands Krishna's supreme position beyond Karma, as the absolute cause of all effects, then one becomes free from the laws of karma oneself.

Any action that is done for the benefit of Public does not attract Karmic reaction, thus God never truly did Karma as such.

All actions bind one to karma, including actions done for the good of the public. Only actions done as an offering to God liberate one from reaction:

yajnarthat karmano ’nyatra

loko ’yam karma-bandhanah

tad-artham karma kaunteya

mukta-sangah samacara

"Work done as a sacrifice for Vishnu has to be performed, otherwise work binds one to this material world. Therefore, O son of Kunti, perform your prescribed duties for His satisfaction, and in that way you will always remain unattached and free from bondage."