IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

mind control

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sometimes i would be in the temple or praying and suddenly a vile thought (not worthy of being mentioned here!) would come into my head. I feel tremendously guilty for thinking such things but i don't do it on purpose!

how does one control one;s mind? would Krishna forgive such thoughts?

So do you mean to say that it is fine with you if you get such thoughts when you are not in a temple? When you stop thinking of such things when you are not in a temple, then obviously you wont get such thoughts when you are in the temple. This is very true. This happens only by dedication & sincerity.

But as far as mind control goes, i dont know much about it. Others in this forum might be able to help you better.

Good luck.

As I walked down the street, a beautiful woman got out of her car and walked past me. Immediately sexual desire filled me. Rather than feel guilt, or worry, I observed the desire, and then released it, and moved my mind to more appropriate thoughts.

My "personal" feelings are that I am currently in the process of being purified by our Lord. This purification comes about through chanting of His name, study of His word, association with His devotees, eating His food. I am so degraded and attached to this material world that it is going to take a long time. But...!...I have faith in the mercy of our Lord, and I can rest in that faith.

When thoughts contrary to our Lord arise in my mind, I realize that I did not consciously initiate them, I realize that they are part of me that is in the state of purification, and I realize that the Lord is purifying me. With that, I can then place my faith in the Lord, and release them to Him. Then I move on in my thoughts.

The REAL problem, it seems to me, is not that the initial thought which rises in me, but giving these lustful, evil, ungodly, selfish, materialistic thoughts consideration, and dwelling on them -- that is when material attachment is made stronger. It seems to me the initial thought is of little importance -- whether we dwell on them or move on to better thoughts is the biggest factor.

How does one just stop thinking about things that one does not want to think about? Just do it -- just think about something else -- about our Lord -- just forget about it. How does one stop thinking about an elephant? Think about a lion. Release it.

When an unwelcome thought comes, I recognize it, trust in the Lord and let it go. If every unwelcome thought caused one to think of our Lord, then we would, in fact, find ourselves making progress in our development of our love for Him.

Hope this helps. It has helped me in the past, and continues to help me on into the future.

Guest guest

i heard that for each of the anarthas, there is a particular pastime of the lord to meditate on. We can meditate by reading and preaching these pastimes to others recounting as many details as we can remember :

pride : kaliya nartanam

lust : the lord winning the queens of dwaraka in marriage. if the lust is directed towards those whom we know are devotees, then the pastime of killing sankacuda

anger : the pastime of lifting govardhana hill

envy : the killing of sisupala

greed : sudhama's wife sending sudhama to krishna to ask for alms

conceit : the pastime of eating the sand and lying to mother yasoda about it, then showing the whole universe.

Guest guest

There is some concession in Kali Yuga as the Lord knows, it is the most degraded of all ages. It is said that, the good merits (Punya) done in the mind counts, but the sins committed in mind are not counted. The essence is, so long as, we commit sins on the mental level, without actually indulging in the action, no Karma is attached to mere thinking. Again, saints have warned us about this concession too. We should not allow our mind to dwell on a sinful thought, otherwise the same thought might lead us to take the actual action. As someone has rightly pointed out in this forum, that diverting the mind to other Godly thoughts is the wisest thing to do.

When I have a sinful thought, unless I counteract it with a pious thought, that sinful thought will soon become a sinful action. Having the feedback of punishment for sinful thoughts could be of some help in purifying our thoughts and raising our standards of thinking. Instead I am satisfied with my sinful mind as long as long as my thoughts do not bring punishment. How can I please Krishna and taste the nectar of the Holy Name if my mind is polluted with so many sinful thoughts? Instead I chant like a parrot, "Hare Krishna give me a cracker!" How will I ever know love of Krishna when maya has such control over me? O Krishna have mercy on me!

Guest guest

"Sometimes i would be in the temple or praying and suddenly a vile thought (not worthy of being mentioned

here!) would come into my head. I feel tremendously guilty for thinking such things but i don't do it on purpose!

how does one control one;s mind? would Krishna forgive such thoughts?"

Dear Mind Control:

I can see that there are a lot geniuses providing advice concerning your statement and questions. I guess one

more genius won't spoil the soup. So let me provide you my suggestion:

Forget about how to control one's mind or whether Krishna would forgive you or not. Try the following:

Get yourself into educational meditation (not spiritual mediation) and don't come out of meditation until you learn

the TRUTH - the basis of Why you are having such vile thoughts when are in a temple or praying. Again, do not

come out of mediation until you come face to face with the TRUTH of the cause. Continue with your meditation

and ask Krishna - Your Spiritual Guru - to provide you with the solution that will insure that such vile thoughts will

never take place in your mind ever again.

Peace and enlightenment to you and to every being in the Universe.

Guest guest

yes, but in the court of law of the state only.

bad thoughts do hinder one's progress towards krishna.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

Quote:

The good thing (as I understand it) is that in Kali Yuga we are not held to the same standards as in previous ages. So our thoughts are not counted as sins in Kali Yuga.

--

What a nice thing!

Do you, or anyone else, have a sastric quotation to verify this?

Reply:

The following is an excerpt of a letter from Srila Prabhupada to Madhuvisa written on December 21, 1972:

"Regarding your question, do mental sinful activities cause a bad reaction? The answer is no, they do not. We do not suffer for thinking something sinful. Not in this age. That is a special concession for Kali-yuga. Yes, you are correct in stating that spiritual activities, even mentally performed, are beneficial. You have seen the picture in NOD how a brahmana simply by mental service was promoted to Vaikuntha."

Guest guest

Just see how fortunate we are. Not only do we not suffer for thinking something sinful, but we benefit from mentally performing devotional service. Krishna is giving us every opportunity.

Guest guest

BHAGAVAD-GITA AS IT IS Chapter 6 TEXT 5

TEXT

uddhared atmanatmanam

natmanam avasadayet

atmaiva hy atmano bandhur

atmaiva ripur atmanah

SYNONYMS

uddharet--one must deliver; atmana--by the mind; atmanam--the conditioned soul; na--never; atmanam--the conditioned soul; avasadayet--put into degradation; atma--mind; eva--certainly; hi--indeed; atmanah--of the conditioned soul; bandhuh--friend; atma--mind; eva--certainly; ripuh--enemy; atmanah--of the conditioned soul.

TRANSLATION

A man must elevate himself by his own mind, not degrade himself. The mind is the friend of the conditioned soul, and his enemy as well.

PURPORT

The word atma denotes body, mind and soul--depending upon different circumstances. In the yoga system, the mind and the conditioned soul are especially important. Since the mind is the central point of yoga practice, atma refers here to the mind. The purpose of the yoga system is to control the mind and to draw it away from attachment to sense objects. It is stressed herein that the mind must be so trained that it can deliver the conditioned soul from the mire of nescience. In material existence one is subjected to the influence of the mind and the senses. In fact, the pure soul is entangled in the material world because of the mind's ego which desires to lord it over material nature. Therefore, the mind should be trained so that it will not be attracted by the glitter of material nature, and in this way the conditioned soul may be saved. One should not degrade oneself by attraction to sense objects. The more one is attracted by sense objects, the more one becomes entangled in material existence. The best way to disentangle oneself is to always engage the mind in Krsna consciousness. The word hi is used for emphasizing this point, i.e., that one must do this. It is also said:

mana eva manusyanam karanam bandha-moksayoh

bandhaya visayasango muktyai nirvisayam manah

"For man, mind is the cause of bondage and mind is the cause of liberation. Mind absorbed in sense objects is the cause of bondage, and mind detached from the sense objects is the cause of liberation." Therefore, the mind which is always engaged in Krsna consciousness is the cause of supreme liberation.

The following is an excerpt of a letter from Srila Prabhupada to Madhuvisa written on December 21, 1972:

"Regarding your question, do mental sinful activities cause a bad reaction? The answer is no, they do not. We do not suffer for thinking something sinful. Not in this age. That is a special concession for Kali-yuga. Yes, you are correct in stating that spiritual activities, even mentally performed, are beneficial. You have seen the picture in NOD how a brahmana simply by mental service was promoted to Vaikuntha."

Very interesting indeed..

Hi Ethos,

Jus out of my curiosity to know things /images/graemlins/grin.gif, can you explain me whats the picture ( i think the legs of vishnu , with some meaningful figures ) in your profile means ?

Madhava Kesava Madhana Gopala /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Srivats

Whoever posted this,

My dear friend i am open to say that i am exaclty same as you are........ /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I know we cannot live in house which is soo dirty and rubbish,

How can we expect god to be in our mind , if our mind is rubbish and too bad to let him come and stay.

I have gone thru all replies to get what i want. Let me know have u came out of it. Thats a imp news for me.

Madhava KEsava Madhana Gopala /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Srivats