IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Alabama chief justice told to remove Ten Commandments from building

Rate this topic

Alabama chief justice told to remove Ten Commandments from building

Monday, November 18, 2002 Posted: 11:25 AM EST (1625 GMT)

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) -- A Ten Commandments monument in the rotunda of Alabama's judicial building violates the constitution's ban on government promotion of religion, a federal judge ruled Monday.

U.S. District Judge Myron Thompson gave Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, who had had the 5,300-pound granite monument installed in the state building, 30 days to remove it.

Moore testified during the trial that the commandments are the moral foundation of American law. He said the monument acknowledges God, but does not force anyone to follow his conservative Christian religious beliefs.

A lawsuit seeking removal of the monument argued that it promoted the judge's faith in violation of the constitution's ban on government establishment of religion.

"This is a question of whether the politically powerful can impose their views on others," Southern Poverty Law Center attorney Danielle Lipow argued during the trial before Thompson.

Moore testified he decided to locate a monument to the Ten Commandments in the building shortly after he was elected chief justice in November 2000.

The monument, which features the King James Bible version of the Ten Commandments sitting on top of a granite block, is one of the first things visitors see upon entering the building.

Guest guest

.... the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God.

In Canada at least, the courts expect us to swear with our hand on the Bible that we will give accurate testimony. Eyebrows are raised in suspicion when you elect to only affirm that you will tell the truth, without the involvement of the Bible or the help of God; as surely only a heathen dog or criminal raccoon would wave the usual oath.

I seem to remember somewhere that one should not take an oath in the name of the Vedas or Krsna. I apply that to the Bible. Actually I think I read something quite similar in the Bible itself at one point.

Soon this oath will surely disappear, and the Merican currency will be reprinted, killing God once and fall all.