IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

a question about the gods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am reading the textbook about Hinduism. I first came across some vedic gods such as Indra and Agni. Then, they introduces the Trinity such as Vishnu. It just gives me an impression that the Trinitiy comes after the vedic gods? I know this is probably not true, and I read on the website saying that Indra is inferior to the Trinity. So, does the Trinity exists in the Vedic period? or is there a sequences of the gods? I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot!

Hi Guest!

Textbooks on Hinduism often portray mixed philosophies on demi-gods (e.g. Indra, Agni) and 'superior' Gods (e.g. Trinity - Brahma, Visnu, Maheswara).

According to the Vaisnava tradition, Krsna (from whom Visnu emanates) is the boss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif All demi-gods come from there. If you look at the Advaitin philosophy though, you'll find that people believe that the trinity are only representations of different aspects of One Impersonal, Formless, Nameless God.So according to that philosophy, Indra and Visnu and common man are essentially the same.

Anyway, whichever way you look at it, Indra and Agni etc. according to the Puranic texts come AFTER the trinity. If you really want an order of things it's basically this:

1. Visnu (or Krsna)

2. Brahma

3. Shiva (Maheshwara)

4. Everyone else.

By the way, of course, any corrections to that are welcome by other forum readers!

Hope this helps....

Guest guest

this is a common question from those studying

the vedic religion from a "historical" perspective.

The original Vedas speak more of Indra then Vishnu,

so the question is does this mean that they did not

have the same beliefs as today.

No, the problem is the amount of writings that have survived

due to the conditions of India,i.e.-humidity,monsoons,

heat, etc, have destroyed most ancient things, unlike

egypt or mesopatamia which are very dry and conducive

for longevity of artifacts.

Also, the language of the earlier civilization " the indus valley civilization" has not been fully undestood, and very little has survived.

So what has survived are the original Vedas, which are not the whole story.

in fact, vishnu for the Vaisnava reigns supreme,he is the all pervading Godhead, secondary

is Shiva,or Mahadeva,or Rudra all the same, and is

an aspect or secondary expansion of vishnu on one level.

then come the regular devas, who are like us, but elevated to a higher position, like Indra, Brahma, Surya, etc.

"With offerings I propitiate the branches of this swift-moving God, the bounteous Visnu.

Hence Rudra gained his Rudra-strength: O Asvins, ye sought the house that hath celestial viands." Rig Veda, 7:40:5

"all the deities are Agni; the sacrifice is Visnu; verily he lays hold of the deities and the sacrifice; Agni is the lowest of the deities, Visnu the highest; in that he offers to Agni and Visnu on eleven potsherds, the sacrificer envelops the gods [4] on both sides and wins them." Yajur Veda 5:5:1

narayanad brahma jayate, narayanad prajapatih prajayate, narayanad indro jayate, narayanad astau vasavo jayante, narayanad ekadasa rudra jayante, narayanad dvadasadityah.

"From Vishnu, Brahma is born, and from Vishnu, the patriarchs are also born (the prajapatis). From Vishnu, Indra is born, from Vishnu the eight Vasus are born, from Vishnu the eleven Rudras are born (Shiva), from Vishnu the twelve Adityas are born (Devas)."

Guest guest

Hi ar,

You guys are of great help. Thanks a lot. I think this discussion place is very good. Though I am not a Hindu, I am interested in this religion.