Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Srimad Bhagavatam, 12.13.23

Rate this topic

Guest guest

<center>The very last verse of the Srimad Bhagavatam 12.13.23:

<font color="red">nAma saGkIrtanaM yasya sarva pApa praNAzanam

praNAmo duHkha zamanas taM namAmi hariM param</font>

<font color="blue">Let us all prostrate to that transcendental Lord Hari, thinking

and lovingly singing of Whose Names destroy all sins,

and surrendering to Whom dispels all miseries and sufferings.</font>

Read more about Hari Nama Sankirtana

Srila Sridhara Deva Goswami Maharaja has said in commenting on this verse:

"Papa means all anomalies, all undesirable things; in one word, sin. Material enjoyment and liberation are also included as anomalies; sinful activities. Why is liberation considered sinful? Because it is an abnormal condition. Our natural function is to serve Krsna, but we do not do that in salvation. Mere salvation does not include service to Krsna, so that is an abnormal position and therefore it is also a sin. To ignore our natural duty and stand aloof cannot but be sinful.

The concluding verse of the Srimad-Bhagavatam says, ëKrsnaís- holy name can relieve us from all undesirable sinfulness, all filthy characteristics and all miseries. Let us bow down to Him.

Uttering this verse, the Srimad-Bhagavatam stops; that great treatise becomes silent. The last word in the Srimad-Bhagavatam is nama-sankirtana. The Srimad-Bhagavatam has given such great importance to chanting the holy name of Krsna, and Sri Caitanya developed it from there.

Srila Vyasadeva, the compiler of Vedic literature, in his last publication took theism to that stage, and gave it to the public announcing, Chant the name of Krsna! Do this, nothing more is necessary. Take this!

This is the very conclusion of Srimad-Bhagavatam, the greatest spiritual gift of Vyasadeva: Chant the holy name of Krsna and begin your life in this dark age with the most broad and wide theistic conception."

"My only constant companion,

my only friend, guru, wealth,

that which has delivered me,

my great fortune and the source of my good luck,

the form through which I taste pleasure,

my obeisances to you,

Srimad Bhagavatam."

[sri Sanatana Goswami 's Sri Krsna-lila stava].