IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Gayatri Mantra

Rate this topic

Guest guest

When a Brahmin (Brahmin born, or ISKCON devotee) gets initiated, he/she receives the Gayatri Mantra. I know this mantra is a secret (such that the Srimad Bhagavatam states the verse clearly in the 1st verse,Chapter 1, !st Canto and in the Brahma-Samhita) but wat about the Gayatri Mantra that is spoken universally...Om Bhu..Bhu va...etc?

The secret of the mantra is not the sound or pronunciation. The secret of the mantra is the utilization of it, which is taught by the guru.

The Puranas are full of "secret" mantras.

In modern times, saints such as Prabhupada have included secret mantras such as gayatri and their explanations in their writings and commentaries.

Guest guest

Thankyou for your kind interpretation.

You are right to say that its not the pronouciation but the essence and the true meaning and application of the mantra, which is the key to awaken our spirit soul.

Many thanks,,

Jai Jai Shri Radhe !!!

Guest guest

AvinashJi, life does not leave us but it is we who leave as we are carried away by death. When life carries us away it is being called LOVE. Death cannot touch.

Guest guest

Jai Shree Krishna,

Sorry, I did not wish to start a debate on your Signature.

Anyway, coming back to the secret mantra’s in the scriptures—how can they be secret? Well, if we have faith in the scriptures they must still be secret. The missing key is Guru, faith, determination, application etc.

Me, with my little intelligence cannot comprehend all this, so my only shelter is Lord Sri Hari.

Hari tera naam che

Hajaar kaya naame

Lakhvi cankotri

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,

TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM

BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI

DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT.

Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow, The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe, May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light, May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.

Gayatri Mantra inspires wisdom. Its meaning is that "May the Almighty God illuminate our intellect to lead us along the righteous path". All the problems of a person are solved if he/she is endowed with the gift of righteous wisdom. Once endowed with far-sighted wisdom, a man is neither entangled in calamity nor does he tread the wrong path. A wise man finds solution to all outstanding problems. Only those persons who do not think correctly find difficulty and take wrong steps due to foolishness. Chanting of Gayatri Mantra removes this deficiency. The teachings and powers incorporated in the Gayatri Mantra fulfill this purpose. Righteous wisdom starts emerging soon after Jap(recitation) of this Mantra is performed.

Good Luck..

Danny

The Gayatri mantra is mentioned by the sages and written in the scriptures and anyone can

have access to it. The mantra will become potent when heard from the lips of the Guru. It then

takes on a spiritual living characteristic. Simualr to an automobile, anyone can read about it in magazine and

can even sit in one. It becomes potent when one gets the key and starts the engine.

Hearing from the genuine guru applies to all mantras,

Hari bol

Guest guest

i just don't get it. in Iskcon i hear that after one receives 2nd initiation (upanayana-samskara) he receives the brahma gayatri mantra. now ive just conducted a google search and that mantra is the one widely chanted (om bhur, bhuva svaha, tat sat viturvareyam....) but in ikcon that particular mantra is not allowed. they chant kama gayatri secret mantra (well, that can be easily found in the brahma-samhita) and is 18 syllables long.

why is the brahma gayatri mantra not chanted? im so confused on the topic of gayatri mantra. please please some one kindly explain to me the differnce on the two.

one more question,was Chaitanya Mahaprabhu born in a brahmin family? i read elsewhere that before he received initiation form Ishvara Puri He wore the scared brahmin tread from his childhood. I myself being born in a brahmin household see many boys from the age of 5 onwards receive the scared tread and they are given the brahma-gayatri mantra.

by the way why do iskcon initiated devotees chant the kama and gopala gayarti when they are meant to chant the brahma gayatri mantra which is meant to be secret (then why is it that the mantra is chanted universally especially in gayatri yagna's?)

Please can someone anwer my questions and remove doubts from my head.thanking all respondants in advance.

Hare Krishna

Jay

I think I've seen this before. Anyway, we chant the mantras given to us by our gurus. I don't know who told you ISKCON devotees don't chant brahma gayatri. It's fairly well known that those who come in line from Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati do chant this mantras. We chant the other mantras becuase our spiritual masters gave them to us with the assurance that they will enhance our chanting of the holy names of Krishna.

Beyond this, I have a hard time seeing what there is to discuss. Mantras' benefit comes through experience, not abstract academic discussion.

Guest guest

Gayatri Mantra, as given in ISKCON initiations, ought to be uttered by a bona fide guru; otherwise, the mantra will not the potency on the disciple. Hence, anyone reciting the "savitri" gayatri - the one you are referring to - has no meaning, in terms of spiritual advancement in the Gaudiya Vaishnva sampradaya.

Mantras must be given; not taken.

There is spoken of secrets because knowing what the mantra stands for and harvesting the beejakshara is very difficult and should be done under the guidance of an ardent spiritual master(SadGuru).