IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Falwell: Muhammad not a terrorist

Rate this topic

Falwell: Muhammad not a terrorist

Monday, October 14, 2002 Posted: 11:28 AM EDT (1528 GMT)

LYNCHBURG, Virginia (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell has apologized for calling Islam's founder a terrorist, saying he "intended no disrespect to any sincere, law-abiding Muslim."

In a recent interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," the conservative Baptist minister said he had concluded from reading Muslim and non-Muslim writers that Muhammad "was a violent man, a man of war."

"I think (Prophet) Muhammad was a terrorist," he said.

Muslims were outraged. A general strike called to protest his comments in Bombay, India, turned into a riot, and five people were killed.

On Saturday, Falwell issued a "statement of reconciliation."

"I sincerely apologize that certain statements of mine made during an interview for the September 30 edition of CBS's `60 Minutes' were hurtful to the feelings of many Muslims," Falwell said.

He said he made the remarks in response to "one controversial and loaded question" at the end of an hourlong interview.

"That was a mistake and I apologize," Falwell said.

From JNDas:The title claims falwell says Muhammad is not a terrorist, but I don't see anything in the article that says that. In the article he justs says he was wrong to have made the statement. I'm not sure if he actually changed his view or not.