IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Which books on Hinduism to read first?

Rate this topic

I would like to start studying Hinduism. What books would you recommend I read? Should I begin by reading the Vedas?

I would suggest you begin your studies of Hinduism by reading the "Bhagavad Gita", which is the most important scriptural text for Hindus.

According to the Gita true religion is that which is inherent in the soul. It can not be changed, and it is universally the same for all living entities. The external faiths are material reflections of the inherent spiritual quality of the soul. We must rise above the material bodily designations and realize our true identity as a spirit soul, part and parcel of God.

As far as the four Vedas are concerned, they are not very relevant today. Bhagavad Gita is more important for understanding the philosophy of Hinduism. Please take up a serious study of the Bhagavad Gita. I am sure you will find the answers you are looking for there.

Yours in service,

Jahnava Nitai Das,

Bhaktivedanta Ashram &

Bhaktivedanta International Charities

http://www.foodrelief.org

J N Das Prabhu wrote:

<<As far as the four Vedas are concerned, they are not very relevant today.>>

Dear JN Prabhu,

As you know, gita is the summary of the Vedas.

While the Vedas have 80,000 verses,

gita has only 700 verses.

Therfefore it is very suitable for the people in this time where hardly any one has interest or time to read 80,000 verses.

If I say the Vedas are irrelevant, then it also means its summary - gita - also is irrelevant;

but gita is relevant, so, the Vedas also are. It needs a sadguru to tell/explain how relevant they are.

Hope you agree.

I would not dabate this point.

Jai Sri Krishna!

Guest guest

Respected Sir, Shri Bhagavan Adi Shankaracharya was the Greatest Philosopher this World has ever seen.He has advised to Read Bhagavad Gita & Meditate on Shri Maha Vishnu,apart from that take a drop of holy Ganga water& Read the Sacred 1000 Names of Supreme Lord Shri Hari or Maha Vishnu in his world famous composition"BhajaGovindam".

So, where is the doubt"Which Book should be read"?

The answer is very Loud & Clear:Read:Shrimad Bhagavad Gita.

Meditate on:Shri Vishnu or Shri Krishna