IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Prabhupadanuga

Dhoti

Rate this topic

I wasn't really sure where to post this so it fell here. I have been asked to explain via email how to put on and wear a dhoti. I haven't been able to sufficiently and clearly explain this. Is there a resource on the web that I can refer my friend too? Alternatively, if any of you could explain it please do so. I just can't do it well enough. LOL

Thanks.

Hare Krsna!

Here are the steps:

1. Put cloth around waist until 3/4th of the cloth is on the left hand side, and 1/4 is on the right hand side (approximately).

2. At waist level make two little bunches of cloth on each side of the divide, and then loop one under the other, and yank tightly. Then repeat for a double knot.

3. Now take the long cloth on the left hand side, and pull it underneath between your legs, to the other side.

4. Here is the critical step. You are entering the accordion phase of dhoti preparation. Basically create one fold about 5-6 inches wide, AND here is the key, crease the fold all the way down. This crease will make it easier for the other parts of the dhoti to follow it. Now, fold back and forth, back and forth, each time creasin down this line.

5. When all cloth has been folded, put it in the back of you dhoti, such that there is no cloth hanging on the ground.

6. Next, do the front. Same accordion movement, just make sure to crease it, and then put in the front.

Thats about it. Its kind of difficult to explain, but I hope this helps a bit.

South indian style is easier. It is very similar to wearing lungi. It is correct that there is no folding at the back unlike in North Indian Style.

Karthik and Shvu,

Both of you are originally from TamilNadu. Have you ever worn dhoti? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Karthik and Shvu,

Both of you are originally from TamilNadu. Have you ever worn dhoti?

I do, during religious occasions at home. Or in instances like the Kalyanothsavam in Tirupathi, where Dhoti is the dress code. Otherwise, I don't for I am more comfortable wearing trousers.

Cheers

I think the present style of wearing dhotis in South India (worn like a lungi) is fairly recent and just a convenience. The traditional system is that the grihastha should wear a pancha-kacha, and the brahmacharis should wear the lungi style. Even today in nearly all traditional temples the priests will follow this convention. But it takes more work to wear the pancha kacham, especially for the public who will wear it just a few times per year (on religious festivals).

Ever see when muslims go to Mecca? As I undestand it, they are to wear a single unstitched white cloth. They all look like Hindus wearing dhotis /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif The world would be much more comfortable in togas IMHO /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

This leads nicely into another question I have been pondering. Why is it deemed neccessary to include the Indian (and actaully some Muslim) customs in such a way along with the KC philosophy.

Is it impossible to seperate the two or would it be feasable for devotees to dress in jeans and t shirts and other western wear and still be adhering to the four regulative principles

I do think it is not always necessary to take on these various Indian customs. Still, something like dhotis I think can add a certain element. Sometimes the very act of going through the effort of "dressing up" helps to put a person in the right (or better) state of mind. Just like beautiful temples help to calm the mind and cause one to dwell on higher thoughts. In the same way I can see how putting on a dhoti, applying tilak etc... helps to focus one's thoughts on higher realms.

I am not satisfied that SP not wearing jeans justifies cloning his fashion for his followers. He was obviouslt an Indian guru and not , say, a mechanic in Indiana where jeans might be the known and accepted apparel. The question still remains, is it neccesary to wear the dhotis and indian garb to be KC and why?

When deciding our external dress we should first identify what reaction we want our dress to create. If we want to draw people's attention to an ancient far east culture and religion, then dhotis will obviously be helpful. If we want to just do our work without drawing too much attention to ourselves, then regular pants will be better. Our dress doesn't bring us devotion.

Srila Prabhupada had a reason why he introduced the dress, markings and cultural aspects of vaishnavism, but they may not be applicable for most people.

One thing to remember is that, at in the West,someone in traditional Vaisnava garb really stands out.And it is taken that they are priests.

One's behavior had better back up the statement that that dress conveys.

Years back I was standing in the temple lobby talking to some bhakta when a police office came in looking for this "devotee".He was caught stealing at the local health foods store and ran out.We knew from the description who they were looking for by the description.Obese and wearing a dhoti etc.He had just stopped by the temple a half hour before.

This store was at the time making large bhoga donations to the temple to support the feast and prasada distribution programs.

Very embarrassing.

Guest guest

Tilak does not come from India but from Vrindavan. So wearing tilak cannot be considered Indian.

Now dhoti is the dress worn by Krishna Himself and it cannot be considered Indian.

Saree is worn by Lakshmi and cannot be considered Indian either.

However, if one is not able to wear these dresses in rememberance of the spiritual world, then one may wear western dress in rememberance of the Lord -:)

Tilak does not come from India but from Vrindavan. So wearing tilak cannot be considered Indian.

Now dhoti is the dress worn by Krishna Himself and it cannot be considered Indian.

Saree is worn by Lakshmi and cannot be considered Indian either.

However, if one is not able to wear these dresses in rememberance of the spiritual world, then one may wear western dress in rememberance of the Lord -:)

You might wear these dresses if you alone want to remember the spiritual world, but if one is going for preaching, then he should first identify what reaction he wants his dress to create, as jndas prabhu said. If we want to draw people's attention to the perfect ancient culture & religion of the far east, then priestly garb with tilaka will obviously be helpful.

<hr width="90%">

If we want to just do our work without drawing too much attention to ourselves, then regular pants/western dresses will be better. This dress might bring us devotion but definitely not for others.

Srila Prabhupada had a reason why he introduced the dress, markings and cultural aspects of vaishnavism, but they may not be applicable for most people.

<hr width="90%">

Guest guest

I guess there is a need for discrimination in dress depending on the situation from an evangelistic point of view. In non-evangelistic vedic traditions there is no need to dress for others. So a person can very well stick to his/her traditional dress if he/she wants to. But in a preaching movement, there is need to dress for the occasion. And I think it is good to discriminate depending on the situation. But the main point to remember is that these dresses are not Indian.

Lets assume that the dress is not Indian, although "eastern" nonetheless. I contend that most westerners view the KC dress as "eastern" and not western. My point is that it may play a significant role in devotional service for the wearer but is a significant distractant to the possible devotee who is viewing KC at first glance (and maybe last).

All that being true, I really am asking is it worth it to preach in "eastern" wear at the risk of alientating folks who might be interested in KC without the eastern customs and clothing?