IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
raga

Sri Rupa Gosvami's Disappearance Day!

Rate this topic

<font face="Georgia" color=#0C4667>

<center>SRINIVASA MEETS RUPA GOSVAMI IN A DREAM</center>

The fourth wave of Bhakti Ratnakara (4.194-247) describes of Rupa Gosvami continued to bless the devotees even after disappearing from their vision: <blockquote> <font color=#880C26>“In Nilacala, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu disappeared from the world. After hearing that unbearable news, Kasisara Gosvami also left the world. Raghunatha Bhatta, the great Bhagavatam reciter, also disappeared when he heard about the disappearance of Mahaprabhu. A few days ago Sri Sanatana Gosvami also left this world. Now Sri Rupa Gosvami is also gone. Sri Gopala Bhatta Gosvami and Raghunatha Dasa Gosvami constantly burn in the fire of seperation. They are the most unfortunate as they have had to see so much misery.”

When he heard the brahmins lamenting, Srinivasa Thakura inquired about the cause of their unhappiness. Crying bitterly, they related the story of the disappearance of Rupa and Sanatana Gosvami. Srinivasa also began to cry and fell on the ground in a faint. Gaining consciousness he rose up crying, “Alas! What have I heard! What have I heard! and again he fell to the dusty ground in a faint.” Again he cried out, “My dear Lord Rupa Gosvami. My dear Lord Sanatana Gosvami why have you been so unkind to an unfortunate soul like myself? I will never see your lotus feet and my desires will never be fulfilled.” As he cried he tore the skin on his chest with his nails.

Observing Srinivasa’s miserable condition a brahmin from Mathura held his hand and tried to console him in various ways just to save his life. All the inhabitants of Mathura also came forward to console him but it was of no use. Srinivasa offered obeisances at the feet of that Mathura brahmin and started for the road leading back to Gauda. “The Vaisnava devotees of Gauda adviced me to go quickly to Vrndavana,” he thought. “Now I understand why they wanted me to go quickly, but I was not fortunate enough to reach here in time. Although cruel destiny has forced me to suffer in this way, my sinful life continues.”

As he contemplated his miserable plight tears flowed constantly from his eyes and from time to time he shouted in acute agony. “My dear Sanatana my dear Rupa Raghunatha Bhatta, Sri Kasiswar Pandita you were the ocean of devotional qualities,” he shouted. “I have heard that you were all extremely kind hearted, so why have you been so unkind to a poor soul like me?” With that Srinivasa decided to give up his life and he fell to the ground with no further concern for his own condition. With the dark hours of the night after travelling quite a distance Srinivasa rested beneath a tree. His lamentations were so pitiful that even a stone or a piece of wood would crack upon hearing them. The inhabitants of the nearby village grew morose when they heard Srinivasa’s continous crying. Throughout the night he sobbed until he finally fell asleep by the desire of the Lord.

Rupa Gosvami, Sanatana Gosvami and other merciful Gosvamis appeared before Srinivasa in a dream. All the Gosvamis were extremely beautiful and seeing them, Srinivasa’s heart filled with ecstasy. Feeling symptoms of ecstasy his eyes filled with tears and he fell at the feet of the devotees. They placed their feet on his head and embraced him, consoling him in various ways. They carassed his ematiated body and bathed him with tears from their eyes.

Again seeing Srinivasa’s face, Sanatana Gosvami spoke to him in ecstatic love: “My dear son Srinivasa, this is not the time for you to lament. Sri Gopala Bhatta Gosvami is no different from me. Go and take initiation from him.”

Sanatana also directed Srinivasa to take the books of the Gosvamis to Gauda in order to propagate the Gosvami philosophy. By directing Srinivasa in various ways they blessed him and then remembering Caitanya Mahaprabhu they disappeared. By observing the Gosvamis and hearing their nectarine instructions Srinivasa’s ecstasy verflowed. The next day he reversed his course and started for Vrndavana.

That same night Rupa Gosvami and Sanatana Gosvami appeared in a dream of Jiva Gosvami’s to give some instruction. “Previously I told you that on the 20th day of the month of Vaisakh you will obtain wonderful association. That devotee will reach Vrndavana today, and after meeting him you will become very happy. At the time of the arati of Govinda Deva, when the crowd is thin, you should search for him. His complexion is like a golden champa flower and his is very thin. He is young and tears constantly flow from his eyes. In great pain he left Gauda and he has already gotten news of our disappearance. He decided to give up his life but we appeared before him to console him. We cannot describe his affliction, but when you see him you will understand. You should arrange his initiation from Gopala Bhatta Gosvami and when his study is completed give him all the books. Send him to Gaudadesha where he will distribute the transcendental jewels of literature to the masses. What more can we tell you about him? Through this Srinivasa Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu will perform many activities.”

After instructing Sri Jiva Gosvami they appeared to Sri Gopala Bhatta Gosvami. “Your Srinivasa has come from Gauda but his suffering is beyond description. Accept him as your disciple.” Then Sri Rupa Sanatana disappeared. </font> </blockquote>

<font face="Georgia" color=#0C4667>

<center>KANA-I AND RUPA-SANATANA</center>

The sixth wave of Bhakti Ratnakara (6.372-391) relates the loving dealings between Rupa-Sanatana and a Vrajavasi known by the name Kana-i.<blockquote> <font color=#880C26>On the Yamuna’s bank, by a solitary tree, was a charming and very secluded place, a place beyond the knowledge of outsiders. A Vrajavasi brahmana named Kana-i stayed under that tree and worshipped Krsna. Srinivasa approached Kana-i and offered respectful obeisances. Kana-i hugged Srinivasa and would not let him go.

Sprinkling Srinivasa with tears from his eyes, again and again Kana-i said, “Now I see you. I will not see you again. You are full of spiritual love. You will circulate the devotional books in Gauda-desa. Easily you will destroy the conditioned soul’s sins. You are Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana’s object of mercy. How shall I describe your good fortune?”

As he described the activities of Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana, Kana-i was overcome. He could not remain peaceful. I will briefly describe Kana-i’s spiritual love for Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana. I have no power to describe it in detail. Kana-i’s mother was like an abode of great spiritual love. She loved Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana as if they were her sons.

Who has the power to understand Kana-i’s activities? He always stayed with Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana. From time to time he very respectfully took Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana to his own home and offered alms to them. Fruits, roots, sak, or whatever was in his house, he respectfully gave to them.

Manifesting Kana-i’s form, one day Lord Krsna Himself gave alms to Sanatana Gosvami. Pretending to be Kana-i, Lord Krsna enjoyed pastimes in this way. Kana-i’s virtues were known everywhere. No one could leave Kana-i’s association for even a single sesame seed’s worth of time. He was very dear to Sri Sanatana and Sri Rupa.

When Srila Sanatana Gosvami and Srila Rupa Gosvami were no longer to be seen in this world, in his heart Kana-i firmly decided to give up his life. Only by the wish of Sri Rupa and Sri Sanatana was Kana-i’ life saved. Renouncing his home, Kana-i then wandered in Vraja. He resided under that tree by the Yamuna’s banks. He always rolled in the dust. He always floated in the tears from his eyes. Calling out, “Rupa! Sanatana!” he gave out long sighs. Without them he did not wish to live.

Seeing Kana-i’s condition, Srinivasa could not remain peaceful. As he bid Kana-i farewell, tears of spiritual love streamed from Srinivasa’s eyes. </font> </blockquote>

I believe this is from the Gaudiya Vaishnava Abhidhan of Haridas Das. Where is Kusakratha's information coming from?

Anyway it is very common to have multiple years of birth from various sources.

Now that I'm checking into it, I also got the year 1489 from another source drawing from GVA. Probably a typo in the other file I had.

--edit-- now found more mistakes in the other file.... so I left it unchanged. Go figure.