IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Standing Saint Propagates World Peace

Rate this topic

Standing Saint Propagates World Peace

BHOPAL, INDIA, July 31, 2002: Sant Ram Kishore Das Khade Shree Maharaj has never in the past nine years sat or lied down. Originally from Nepal, the 73-year-old saint has pledged to remain standing for at least 14 years for world peace. Sant Ram feels he can remain standing for more than 14 years or even through his entire life. He began his present sadhana, discipline, in Mehsana, Gujarat, in 1993. "The first two years had been excruciatingly tough with my feet swelling up with pain and itching," he said adding, "I keep standing on either foot alternatively through the day and night. And to rest, I place my hands on a swing-like contraption or lean on a pole behind me. The swing also serves as support to sleep." He prefers walking taking rest midway by supporting himself on tree branches on roadsides. Sant Ram annual calendar also includes other pledges like to not speak for five months in a year when he meditates indoors for 22 hours and meets people only for two hours.

As a practical example, if you or I fast completely for the day on a holy occassion, it isn't torture, it is austerity. But if a small child is made to undergo the same fast, it is a form of torture.

Many factors are involved, such as ability to tolerate, ultimate purpose, mental conception, etc.

The saints of previous ages certainly had a higher experience of reality, made possible through their god realization, that helped them to transcend their physical experiences.

It is described that Dhruva, but holding his breath, made the entire universe suffocate (unintentionally). His consciousness had transcended his body and enveloped the universe.

Back to the question, do I think standing whole day will bring about world peace? No. There are plenty of people in India standing in queues whole day (the poor for food, others for the cinema).

Dhruva and other saints never performed their austerities to bring about world peace. This is just a catch phrase made by the media.