IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

best ice cream ever

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is the best ice cream ever,

it makes all other ice cream seem like sherbert,caution: highly addictive.

Ingr- half and half(thats milk and cream)

sweetener

flavoring

Cook the half and half slowly,

until it has lost about half of it's content.

Do this on a slow boil,the result should

caramalize the lactose,the result should be a golden color.

Add sweetner,to taste.

If you use a spice for flavoring like my favorite saffron,add near the end of the cooking process ,giving time for the flavor to come out,if using whole saffron ,soak first ina little milk for a few hours.

If you have an ice cream machine,just follow the directions.

If you have a hand held blender,

put the cream into a steel bowl,

then into the freezer.

After a while it will get very cold,take out before it starts to freeze,and using the hand blender whip it till it doubles in size.

Put back in freezer.

Repeat procees after it starts to freeze.

put back in freezer.

If your freezer is powerful that shoud do it.

If it's weak you may have to whip and freeze a few more times.

For flavoring nut butters are

excellent,like pecan,hazelnut,

peanut,etc. Add before freezing,but don't cook in.

chocolate chips will melt if you want a homogeneous chocolate,otherwise wait unti the end.

Fruit also do not cook in,add after the mixture is has recieved the last whipping,

it should be thick and almost solidified.

I was out shopping today for some "home improvement" items, when I came across an ice cream making machine. I've been so busy with various chores that I haven't had time yet to try homemade cheese. So I figured "What the hey, just buy it, and make some icecream". It wasn't expensive. Anyways, to make a long story short, I made a large quantity of strawberry ice cream. Pretty simple and fun. I thought it came out very well, though I probably should have let it sit a little longer to firm up - I just didn't have the self-control. Its not quite as good as store bought in terms of texture, but overall I really enjoyed it. Now I can make any flavor I want.

In terms of the actual process, I found the mixture of ice with rock salt to be rather interesting. I started to think of the physics behind it and this is what I came up with. Essentially you have a tin container surrounded by layers of ice and rock salt. The container spins, and mixes the milk, sugar, strawberries. My thinking is that the rock salt melts the ice, and in so doing the release of energy from the heat, transfers the cold to the bucket. Kind of like when you sweat. When the heat evaporates the water from your skin you feel cool. Thats the only thing I could think of for the layering of ice and rock salt.

I still need to try your ice cream recipe shiva. Sounds kind of like "Saffron pudding Ice cream".... Don't get me started down that road /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Guest guest

actually my recipe is similar to gelato,italian ice cream,and is nothin like pudding,it is very intense and much thicker and richer and flavorfull then ice cream made with only cream or cream and milk.

I haven't made any ice cream with rice or soy milk. I think soy milk tastes fine, but rice milk and products made from rice milk I have always found has a bad aftertaste. There is a product called "Rice Dream" which I think tastes very bad. It is ice cream made from rice milk.

Not being able to drink milk products anymore - I can only vicariously appreciate this ice cream recipe.

But it did make me remember when I was a kid - one of my aunts had a milk cow and a peach tree - you do the math.

Nothing was better on a hot humid Louisiana summer afternoon than that creamy cold goodness of my aunt's fresh milk and peach homemade icecream!!

Peach ice cream sounds Yumm!! I have found a peach soy kefir which is really good.

Rice dream was good for awhile but newer non-dairy products have come out. Like Soy Delicious ice creams. Really really good.

I do like the taste of fresh peaches but... I have a little trouble eating them now because once I found a little surprise in a particularly yummy juicy peach.. well, actually it was half a surprise. ICK!!

Soy Kefir - I need to try that. Haven't tried the soy ice creams either. I was not real thrilled with Rice Dream.

Nah, Rice Dream is not much when compared to what's out now. Try some Soy Delicious. Nothing will come to the standard of cow's milk for flavor though. But I can eat it without thinking of little calves taken from their mama's teats for veal.

Theist,

Hare Krishna! Just reading the posts..Where do you find these Soy Delicious ice creams.? I have experimented with the milk and the cheese, but didn't know about the ice creams. Debbie

In any health food grocery store. There are many brands out now. Soy Delicious i think is the best.

Glad you came on line. I have forwarded copies of past emails to you but you don't seem to be receiving them. I think the problem is with your server but I'll be changing mine soon and that may clear it up if it is on my end.

We'll see. For now we can just use this site.

Hare Krsna

Theist,

Thanks..I have not ever been in a health food store.Didn't know one was nearby,but I just spotted one a week or so ago in the same town where my daughter lives.I will check it out and see if I can find this Soy Delicious ice cream.

As far as problems with my server,it might be, but I recieve mail almost daily from India, with no problem. Seems like where you stay should be easy compared to there.I also have not recieved mails from JNdas lately, so I don't know..Hope this is cleared up soon. I have so much I want to say, but don't want to waste it, if you can not recieve it and I can not get your replys..So what to do?

Hare Krishna, Debbie

Yeah it is strange as they never come back as undeliverable. Well post questions from the bhagavad-gita here or on the letters to the editors page, and once I change servers we will try again.

Lots of "health food stores" are really just vitamin shops and may or may not carry it. let's hope they do where you are.

Hare Krsna

Theist,

I will post some my questions here, but as you know, I tend to write a bit long. I know some of the posters here also write long, but I am not quite comfortable doing that yet.Hope we can get back in contact by emails soon. I will check this health store out, hopefully the weekend. I hope it more than a vitamin shop, as there are quite alot of them around the area, and I am looking for something quite different.

Hare Krishna, Debbie

Debbie, I got your picture (very cute) and the other attachments. I'm replying to you today. I get all your mails and I know you're getting mine. No problem in that side.

Not sure about where you live - but here the major grocer chains have very nice health food sections with a good variety of vegan items. I live in a rural area so this is a welcome addition to my shopping. So if you have any major grocery stores near you - check them out for soy products. One store I shop at sometimes has the soy items mixed in with the dairy items.

I live in a very small town,but I normally go to a grocery store in a much larger town..I have been able to find Soymilk, which is mixed with the regular dairy items..The soy cheeses, I normally find with the produce items. To tell you the truth, I had not checked the ice cream, because I didn't know they had that, until I read it on this board..That tells you how much I buy ice cream,right? I don't eat it often, but once in a while I get a taste for it.. Debbie

I stopped buying ice cream. definitely not in season. Even Miami's cool these days.

I did notice devotees have so much trouble keeping cows.

It just doesn't seem to work. Is there some cow protection info we are all missing here? About how to keep them after they stop producing milk?

If it's so difficult, is it any wonder why...?

Not that I'm advocating in any way. shape or form, but usually the natural, pious, religious way is also easiest.

Not sure why but when it gets cold (it gets real cold here) is when I start craving ice cream!

I saw this really neat news clip last night about this guy that has created a breed of mini cows. They are your regular cow but in the size of a doberman!

He said that his breeding methods have not produced anything bad like disease or handicaps and that the cows produce milk just like their big sisters.

This man is really into the idea of making these cows small so that everyone will want one as a pet. He has a herd of 23 of these little cuties.

The thing that worried me about this is so many unusual animals become "fad" pets and end up abandoned.

Guest guest

you simply have not lived until you have the ice cream

made by the recipe i gave, .....

imagine most ice cream is made with cream and skim milk,

mine is cream and milk in equal parts,cooked slowly

until the sugar has caramalized, and the milk

has had the water cooked off,and you are left with

cream and burfi.....