IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Neckbeads For Children?

Rate this topic

I recently saw a child safety video at work on how to "child proof" a house, as well as what to tell your children about strangers etc... An idea popped into my head for something ITV perhaps could make and that would be something similar for new parent devotees. The video could teach a new parent various things to watch for, what to do, not do etc...

One thing that came to mind is the question of neckbeads for newborn children. I'm not sure but I think this could be a hazard. If you have too tight it will choke. If you have too loose, or with 3 strands they could get tangled up on things and choke as well.

This I think is certainly a devotee specific risk. Any thoughts?

I never had any problem with neckbeads and my babies. I always put on them very smooth ones and just the right size for their necks with small beads, never hanging out. Three strands twist together.

I am wondering if ewaring beadbags could be a problem. I know a devotee whose two and a half year old broke her neck and died instantly while going down a slide, because the strap to her little shoulderbag, that held her snack, got caught on some thing at the top of the slide. This was not a bead bag, but the same thing could happen either way.

A lt of us devotee parents pierce our baby's ears. I did, and she still has the same holes. I think studs should always be used, though, on into childhood, and not hoops or danglies, that could get caught on things or pulled during a fight (Krsna forbid /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif ).

Mostly I think that common sense goes hand in hand with caring and loving, so that parents are equipped with a lot of it, in seeing to their children's safety. But still we miss things too, so maybe it is a good idea to have this video.

I have noticed this many times among devotee children who have been brought up mostly in the countryside, away from cars, with plenty of freedom and safety to run and play where they choose. What I notice is that when they get to a built up place, for shopping or maybe when they relocate, they have no traffic savvy, and are like puppies let loose for the first time. I have seen too many close calls for this problem to be ignored, and I have also seen very mild admonishments from the parents when a child runs out when a car is coming.

I was very liberal with my daughter, easy going about things like spills, and accidents, etc. she had a very gentle upbringing, at least on my side. but I drew the line at this traffic thing, and was very stern and informative about it to her, so that by the time she was two I was secure in knowing she would never step off the sidewalk without holding my hand. The first time a child does this the parent should be very firm and make a big deal about it, with love, and make sure the child knows how risky it is.

If they are introduced to twon traffic at an older age, they can have this explained to them with instructions about looking and waiting, etc. This may sound elementary, but some may be surprised at the lack of "sophistication" shown by many children I have seen in this situation. They are smart, and old enough, but don't seem to have a clue, and this has always bothered me.

Jayaradhe,

Those were some very good points that I hadn't thought of. Especially about road safety. I knew some Indian parents who came to the U.S. a few years ago. It was amazing to me that they would let their kids run around all over. It may be safe in India, but in the U.S. you really need constant supervision (especially in recent months it appears). I told the parents this and they became a little more strict.

Even if we didn't create our own internal video, that might not be necessary. I think this idea could be implemented fairly easily. I'm sure organizations like the Red Cross have training videos on safety, CPR etc... I think it would be a good idea for all temples to get such a video, then anytime a devotee couple has a new child, to give them the video to watch over. If nothing else it will spur conversation, make the environment a bit safer, and maybe save a life.

And for neckbeads, I think perhaps 1 strand would be best for newborns, that isn't too tight, but not too loose (how to define I don't know). This is just my thinking as somewhat of a compromise. Still not sure its safe for the very youngest.

JRdd asked: Isn't one strand enough? I thought two was for first initiates and three for brahmin initiates but I am not sure about this.

I saw Srila Prabhupada insist on three strands of neck beads for new intitates (harinama) on several occasions. He wanted intitated devotees to wear three strands, and second-initiated men to wear sacred threads.

From what I remember, neck beads weren't worn by devotees who hadn't received initation. I remember hearing or reading (I maybe wrong) that Bhaktivinoda was criticized for lecturing on Bhagavat philosophy withour wearing neck beads. His reply was that he had not yet received the mercy of a bonafide spiritual master and so was not qualified to wear them.

And for neckbeads, I think perhaps 1 strand would be best for newborns, that isn't too tight, but not too loose (how to define I don't know).

Neckbeads break away pretty easily if they are the cheaper variety. All that holds them together is the melted end of the nylon thread, which breaks with very little pressure on it. Probably the beads would break if they ever got caught on anything. One strand would come off right away, but two or three strands could choke the child, as it is wrapped around his neck multiple times and wouldn't come off automatically.

I saw Srila Prabhupada insist on three strands of neck beads for new intitates (harinama) on several occasions. He wanted intitated devotees to wear three strands, and second-initiated men to wear sacred threads.

Thanks for setting me straight on that one, Stonehearted. It's kind of scary when my memory fails me.

Great point, Jndas prabhu. There is the solution for babies and neckbeads. It is kind of like cats. Dogs you can put collars on with no problem but cats have to have a special elastic thing built in to a section of the collar, so they can wiggle out if caught on a branch or something. The collar is too tight if you can't slip some fingers between it and the neck.

Babies also need to be continually checked to see that the beads aren't too tight. They grow soooo fast in the first year or two.

JR, these are some very good ideas. I was also thinking perhaps there would be a way to rig the neckbeads to completely disintegrate as soon as it is pull. The idea being if they did break off, you wouldn't want a baby playing with string. But the only problem here is that little kids by nature will be pulling and yanking (probably) their neckbeads, and as such making "breakaway" beads might not work. Is there any bonafide substitute for neckbeads in terms of spiritual protection? If so perhaps for young kids such a substitute might be best until they are older.

Really is not a big deal for babies to wear neckbeads. They are completely fine with it.

The parents should have common sense for the lenght and size of the beads, that's all.

Poster: atma

Re: no big deal

(hee hee) I like your approach, Atma. You say a lot with few words.

Garacandra, I bet you are from Atlantis at some point. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Stonehearted:

From what I remember, neck beads weren't worn by devotees who hadn't received initation. I remember hearing or reading (I maybe wrong) that Bhaktivinoda was criticized for lecturing on Bhagavat philosophy withour wearing neck beads. His reply was that he had not yet received the mercy of a bonafide spiritual master and so was not qualified to wear them.

The transcendental devotees strive to establish a competitionless society with God in the center.

Is is forbidden to wear NeckBeads without initiation? I feel I've seen some wearing it without having initiation. Should those who are wearing it without initiation remove it?

And another thing..

Is there anything wrong if the sacred thread (yajnopavita) is changed after Sravana Paurnami day if we miss it?

Any website that gives the procedure.

-Prasad.

Hare Krishna. I am still in high school, but I have been wearing tulasi beads from a young age. After reading through some of posts, I would like to know if it is offensive to the Lord if u wear neckbeads without being initiated.