IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

The "Hugging Saint" Makes First Stop in Rural America

Rate this topic

The "Hugging Saint" Makes First Stop in Rural America

MOUNT PLEASANT, IOWA, USA: Mata Amritanandamayi opened her arms to Iowa, deep in America's heartland, and continued to receive amazingly positive press reports such as this one in the Desmoines Register. In the gym at Iowa Wesleyan College, more than 1,000 men, women and children waited hours for their turn to receive a comforting, two-armed embrace from the "the hugging saint," also known as Ammachi or "Mother of Immortal Bliss." Amma has said she realized as a young mystic in India that a simple hug was an expression of love so many yearned for but rarely received. Hundreds of people sat on their heels on the floor, listening to Indian music piped through several speakers. Everyone's focus, however, was on Amma, sitting on a chair at the front of the room, surrounded by volunteers. Supplicants who were physically able made their way up the long line on their knees. When they reached Amma, she greeted them each with a warm smile. Some sobbed openly as they were held. Others just closed their eyes and smiled. After receiving a hug, each person was showered with rose petals and given a chocolate kiss. And that was it. Bill and Joan Brady, both 55, traveled from St. Louis with their grandson Joseph Brady, 5, to get a hug from Amma. Although they know Amma is likely to be viewed as an exotic oddity by many Iowans, the Bradys said her message is very universal. "It's no different than what we try to teach our grandson," Joan Brady said. "That's to be a loving person and share that with everyone.She's not encouraging people in any religious path," a volunteer said. "She's really encouraging them to go deeper into their own path."

...the Bradys said her message is very universal. "It's no different than what we try to teach our grandson," Joan Brady said. "That's to be a loving person and share that with everyone.She's not encouraging people in any religious path," a volunteer said. "She's really encouraging them to go deeper into their own path."

Is this really true of Ammachi? I have seen photos of her dressed like Krsna, and this really put me off. She has quite a following around here. Until I read the above quote, I was pretty sure I had her sort of pegged, but now I am not so sure. Why does she dress like Krsna? Is she impersonalistic? Wishy-washy? Or simply sentimental? Or is she actually benevolent and altruistic? To sit for fifteen hours at a stretch, just giving out hugs, certainly is no selfish feat, is it? but I never hear much philosophy to go with all this. Her tapes are all bhajans, and many of them to Kali.

I saw her once, and she entered the temple with a humble demeanor, smiling and walking fast toward her seat in front. I felt respectful but not reverential, and I didn't feel much in her hug, but she laughed, something my companion/her fan said Amma never does when she hugs, and funny thing is my sister got the same treatment when she went a couple of years earlier, and was told also by her companion that Ammachi never does this. I felt no dark vibes, only benevolence and good will. But I did not feel any particular potency, either. Not like a mere glance at Srila Prabhupada gives.

but I met a disciple of hers once. If what he was saying is what she teaches then I really can't accept her. Basically he said that she was God, and that all incarnations of God are present within her. I was like "Okay, nice to meet you." I wasn't disrespectful, but I basically just wrote her off from that point. If she is just a nice house wife who makes people a little happier, then fine. But if she is claiming to be the source of God, then "bye-bye".

Ash from the palms gods,Christ come again gods,self proclaimed fifth Jagatguru "Mahaprabhu's", and now a huggy wuggy god.

I'm sticking to my Teddy Bear. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<center>Posted Image

<big>Ammachi - Mata Amritanandamayi</big>

"Children, there is nothing that the Guru cannot give.

Guru is the Supreme Consciousness Itself.

Selfless service and utter dedication are the two things

which make one fit to receive the Guru's grace."

- Amma

http://amma.hindunet.org/

Mata Amritanandamayi Devi

http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?discussionID=8163

"Guru is the Supreme Consciousness Itself."

By "Itself",with a capital I, I take it she is an impersonalist.

Are we supposed to also become the Supreme It by hugging the It within her?

We can and should excercise discrimination without feelings of malice.

Perhaps I'm wrong.If shown so I'll repent my view.

Maybe people need hugs and they go to her for that. Kind of sad. When was the last time you got a hug or gave a hug to somebody?Not including teddy bears.

If she thinks she is God she is taking advantage of people's ignorance and emotional needs.

By "Itself",with a capital I, I take it she is an impersonalist.

Are we supposed to also become the Supreme It by hugging the It within her?

We can and should excercise discrimination without feelings of malice.

Thanks for the elucidation. I think this pretty much says it all.

Guest guest

she says itself because that denotes both

she and he.

She didn't want to imply that god is one gender by saying himself,or herself,so she said itself.

Self,means identity,identity,means personality.

So it's not an impersonalist statement,

just a dual gender statement.

indrani

8/28/00 6:49 AM

23 out of 442

"Seeing only his body, people judge the Guru externally. They project their own

ignorance onto him. This is what makes them afraid to surrender. They think that the

Guru will control them or snatch everything from them. They are afraid he will take

away their individuality and make them suffer. Because they see only the human form

of the Guru, they fear that they will be tricked by them. The Guru is beyond the body; he

is beyond being human. He is the embodiment of pure consciousness. In reality, he is

formless and nameless. There is no person there. Only nothingness. How can the

formless, nameless Guru snatch anything away from you? How can he control you?

He simply is, and you benefit from his presence. If you really want to use the Guru,

then surrender to your own Self. Your Self is the same as the Guru's Self. Therefore,

there is nobody who will claim, demand,

argue or snatch. Surrendering to your own Self is for your own spiritual upliftment, it is

not for the Guru, not for the Guru at all."

Ammachi

---------------------------

From sha's link to belief.net.The thread is a series of quotes from amma's teachings.

The bold is my emphasis.

Guest guest

thanx for the info,I might have given her to much credit,it appears she is

an impersonalist.

Double talk like the quote you gave

is amusing and nonsensical at best.

How any intelligent person can accept her as Guru is an example of the old story,

If a blind person follows another blind person,they both fall in a ditch.