IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Katwoman973

Home Puja questions

Rate this topic

Namaste,

I have been making a little sacred corner in my home, and would like to do my daily morning and evening worship there. Does anyone know of any good books that describe different home puja guidelines, and lists what is needed as well as how to use the necessary supplies.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif I purchased a puja "kit" made by NIRAV at the Indian Grocery store today, and am familiar with some of the items, but some I'm not sure of. There were 4 Different powders that I'm assuming are for Tilka (pinkish red, red, white and a small orange) but wasn't sure what to mix the powder with (if anything) to help apply it to the 3rd eye. If anyone has purchased this kit and is familiar with it please let me know!

Any help would be appreciated.

Be patient with me....I'm still learning /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Kenyatta

(For those that responded to this post in the old setting....)

The Deities that I have been asking from assistance from are Goddess Gayatri, Goddess Saraswathi, Rada Krishna and recently Lord Ganesh (not all at the same time, I offer different mantras or prayers at different times of the day, or days of the week to each.) The question at hand is how to use the different objects in the kit correctly, I know my heart is in the right place.

Again thanks....

Haribol Katwoman,

I don't have any official recommendations. Perhaps others will know things like the feng shui of an altar etc... But remember the Lord will accept what ever simple offering you have. If I have one suggestion it would be to start small. That is, it is best to maintain what ever you start. So if you do an elaborate worship, and then you stop, this is seen as bad. But if you have a small simple worship, but maintain this, this is better. That is my suggestion.

The question at hand is how to use the different objects in the kit correctly, I know my heart is in the right place.

Try to make your worship as personal as possible. Understand that their is an actual personality whom you are worshipping, who is receiving your offering of devotion. There are so many things you can offer, like fruits, flowers, incense, fire (camphor lamp), etc. You can also anoint the deity with things such as sandalwood paste, or fragrant oils. Tilak can be applied on the forhead of the deity, either with sindhur, chandan (sandalwood paste), etc.

To offer your mind to the deity, engage in meditation on his qualities and personality, or recite prayers and stotras to him. The sanskrit prayers are made up of powerful seed letters (bija mantras) that act directly on your consciousness, creating a passage of direct communication between you and the divinity.

I will try to post some more practical aspects of worship shortly.

Thanks for reviving this, and thanks also for everyone who has contacted me one on one, or via posting (on this and other threads).

I have been given some great information to follow, but still have questions about the different things which were in the kit I purchased. I am using that which I know how to (in accordance with some of the reading that I've done since posting), but am still unclear on other things.

I was wondering especially what to mix with the vermillion (I hope I spelled this right) for Tilka application....I have a couple of friends who would like to celebrate with me, and would like to offer this as part of our worship.

Again, any and all help would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Kenyatta

P.S.

"Third Eye" in my first post was referring to the chakra the Tilka is applied to, I didn't know how else to word it.