IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

What is Gayatri Mantra?

Rate this topic

Could you please explain what is Gayatri mantra.

Dear Sri Kumar,

Thank you for submitting your question about Gayatri mantra. Gayatri is actually a Vedic meter (chanda) and does not refer to a particular mantra. There are numerous mantras that fall into the category of Gayatri. Practically every deva has a unique Gayatri mantra. There is a Gayatri mantra for Surya, for Ganesha, for Durga, and even a Nandi gayatri for Lord Shiva's bull.

The Gayatri mantras are to be recited at least three times a day, corresponding to the three sandhyas or transitions of the day. Generally when people refer to Gayatri mantra they are refering to the Surya gayatri, which begins with "om bhur bhuvah svah...", etc. This mantra is very powerful for increasing mental abilities, but there are many rules and regulations for chanting it.

Among mantras, the nama-mantras (mantras made of the names of a deity) are easier to chant and bring about much quicker results. The nama-mantras do not have so many rules and restrictions for chanting, and are therefore open to all people. Examples of the nama-mantras are "sri rama jayam", "hare krishna mantra", etc. Ultimately all mantras

receive their power from the names of the deities, thus many people choose to directly recite the sahasra-namas (thousand names of the deity) instead of a particular mantra.

Yours in service,

Jahnava Nitai Das,

Bhaktivedanta Ashram &

Bhaktivedanta International Charities

http://www.foodrelief.org

Guest guest

You say there are many rules and regulations for chanting the Surya Mantra.However,when vaisnavas are given this Mantra at Diksha,there is no mention of these rules and regulations at all.Are we to uderstand that they are not important to us?Or they don't apply to Vaisnavas?If so,why do we chant this mantra?What is the significance of this for Vaisnavas?

om buhur bhuvah svah

tat savitur varenyam

bhargo devasya dhi mahi

dhi yo yo nah prachodayaat

This is gayatri mantra.

It is a paryer to Sun god to get better/best intelligence.

Mantra itself is personified as goddess gayatri.

There is a group of Hindus called gayari parivar.

They have their web pages.

More could be found from there

about their sadhana.

Hope it helps.

Jai Sri Krishna!

Quote:

"The Gayatri mantras are to be recited at least three times a day, corresponding to the three sandhyas or transitions of the day. Generally when people refer to Gayatri mantra they are refering to the Surya gayatri, which begins with "om bhur bhuvah svah...", etc. This mantra is very powerful for increasing mental abilities, but there are many rules and regulations for chanting it."

What are the many rules and regulations for chanthing this mantra?

Regards.

I would like to know what r the procedures for chanting the Gayatri mantra.

I have been initiated by my guru and she told us to chant it every morning by concentrating on the chakras.

Basically to do in in three steps..

I get up late in the mornings and then start chanting.

I feel great afterwards but now after reading the archives im wondering if i should do something else before chanting?

Is it okay that i get up late and chant?

Please advise.