IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Jahnava Nitai Das

Suicide and one's destination...

Rate this topic

Can someone please tell me what happens to those who commit suicide?

The scriptures state that one who commits suicide will have to remain as a ghost for the period of time that one's body was supposed to exist. A ghost is nothing but a person with no physical body. According to the sankhya system, our body is made up of two coverings, the sukshma-sharira (subtle body) and the sthula-sharira (gross body). The gross body is made up of the panca-bhutas (earth, water, fire, air and ether), and the subtle body is made up of the mind (manas), intelligence (buddhi) and identification (ahankara). It is the subtle body which accompanies the soul into the next body at the time of death.

The gross physical body has a particular duration of existence based on one's prarabdha karma. When one commits suicide, one brings one's physical body to an end prior to it having completed it's alloted time. One's next body is prepared in the akasha, ready to manifest at the end of one's alloted time (the normal death of one's physical body).

Thus if one was supposed to live for 100 years, one's next body will be waiting for you after that 100 years. If for some reason one were to commit suicide at the age of 50, then one's next body will not be ready, and one will remain in an ethereal state until the ballance 50 years of existence pass.

This state of existing as a ghost is a great suffering for the individual, as they lack the senses through which to act. The desires to act remain, as the mind, intelligence and identification of the subtle body are still existing. But lacking a physical body with senses, it becomes impossible to satisfy the desires one has. This leads to a hellish state of existence for the soul.

One may deliver a friend or relative from this ethereal existence, and put them back on their path, by performing Vishnu puja. This is known as the shraddha ceremony, wherein food is sanctified by offering it to Vishnu, and the remnants are offered to the forefathers for their purification. If any of the forefathers had been in such a ghostly situation, they would become delivered by receiving the blessings of Vishnu prasadam. For those who are unable to perform the sraddha ceremony, the chanting of Vishnu's names should be performed, either in japam or through group bhajana. Govinda-nama-sankirtana is the most powerful method of delivering one's friends and forefathers from negative circumstances, both while they are living and after.

Yours in service,

Jahnava Nitai Das,

Bhaktivedanta Ashram

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 12-12-2001).]

Dear Jahnava, how interesting this post is. I have a related question. If one is compelled to commit suicide, perhaps due to dibilitating disease, not wanting to burden loved ones, etc., are there any preferred methods? I have often wondered whether it matters whether one is fully conscious or whether taking a sedative would be acceptable. Perhaps not, I think, since one couldn't be thinking of Krishna or be able to say his name at the time of death if unconscious. Thank you.

Dear Jahnava,

If I double post forgive me, I seem not to know what I'm doing but I'll try again. Your post was very interesting, and I would like to ask, if one must commit suicide, e.g., debilitating disease, not wanting to burden loved ones, etc., should one be conscious? can tranquilizers be used? I wonder what effect not being conscious has, since one cannot then think of Krishna at the time of death or say his name. Thank you.

Jack

"then all the devotees, headed by Svarupa Damodar Goswami,

concluded that because Haridas had committed suicide at the conflux of the rivers Ganges and Yamuna, he must have ultimately attained shelter at the Lotus Feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu."

PURPORT

Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur remarks that after one adopts the renounced order and accepts the dress of either a sanyassi or a babaji, if he entertains the idea of sense

gratification, especially in relationship with a woman,

the only atonement is to commit suicide in the conflux

of the Ganges and the Yamuna. only by such atonement can his sinful life be purified. if such a person is thus punished, it is possible for him to attain the shelter of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu."

Caitanya Caritamrta, Antya lila, chap.2,text 166

"immediately after committing suicide in this way, he went

in his spiritual body to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and

received the mercy of The Lord, however, he still remained invisible."

=Caitanya Caritamrta, Antya lila, chap. 2,text 148

"immediately after committing suicide in this way, he went in his spiritual body to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and received the mercy of The Lord. however, he remained invisible."

=Caintanya Caritamrta,Antya-lila,chap.2, text 148

"immediately after committing suicide in this way, he went in his spiritual body to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and received the mercy of The Lord. however, he remained invisible."

=Caitanya Caritamrta,Antya-lila,chap.2, text 148

=Caitanya Caritamrta,Antya-lila,chap.2, text 148

"immediately after committing suicde in this way, he went in his spiritual body to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and received the mercy of The Lord.however, he still remained invisible."

=Caitanya Caritamrta, Antya-lila, chap. 2, text 148