IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Maitreya

Traveling to the Dhama

Rate this topic

Maitreya, remember that you're reaching Vrindavan during rainy season. The last few years had been quite heavy for that area. A couple of years ago Radha Kunda was so flooded that they took the water out in buckets to make it ready for Bahulastami, where everybody goes at midnight for bathing.

The weather will be hot and unpleasant in September. During Kartika will be quite nice and by middle November the cold will start. It becomes really freezing and gloomy. Even with 3 pairs of socks your feet feel sooooooo cold. A nice winter coat from the West is the best, otherwise you'll have to wear 10 chadars to keep warm. The weather is so extreme over there, so cold in winter and very hot in summer.

Later I'll tell you about robberies and goondas.

The weather in Vrindavana can be extremely cold in winter. You will need to buy an immersion water heater if you are there in the winter. You can get them across from Krishna Balarama mandir for the equivalent of $5 or $6. Just make sure you don't accidentally melt a hole in your plastic bucket.

Originally posted by jndas:

The weather in Vrindavana can be extremely cold in winter. You will need to buy an immersion water heater if you are there in the winter. You can get them across from Krishna Balarama mandir for the equivalent of $5 or $6. Just make sure you don't accidentally melt a hole in your plastic bucket.

Or electricute your body with a cheap version

if you use a metal bucket. Chances are the electricity will be load shedding at the time so it'll only serve as a little reminder That "In My world there is no need of electricity" Just kidding prabhu it's all part of the fun. It's a divine experience. If you take a walk up to Gangotri in the Himalayas, when you return to Vrndavan it feels quite tropical.You're a survivor mate

and my feeling is, you'll be taken care of.

I remember the second time I travelled to Sri Vrndavan Dham I had learnt from the first or maybe it was Slila Prabhupad who recommended entering the dham the Brijabhasi way, on Tanga-Horse and cart, so we did that chanting all the way from Mathura I'll never forget that soft and gentle breeze blowing in our still dusty face, as parties of wandering pilgrims passed, exchanging the holy Names and you actually experience the whole panorama of the sounds, the sights, the scents, even if its only cow urine it will stay with you, the contact with the ground. The sight of Tulasi devi on the way, the calls of the peacocks and all the other birds who are greeting you to the dham that will forever wake eternal sentiments in your ancient memory bankes. The dham basis who have given up everything to reside in such a fortunate environment, the children playing on the way, the same as they ever did.

Maybe the bulldust if you arrive at sundown turning the sun bloodred and bathing the land in a peace you'll never forget either, everywhere you look so much rememberance of their Lordships floods your senses so much it kinda' makes you want to get off the tangha and roll to Vrndavan. A very spiritually organic experience. But still the taxi when it arrives at Bhaktivedanta Swami Marg and perhaps you're alighting at Krsna Balaram temole can also give you some wonderful feelings like immediately seeing an old friend, or going sraight to take dharsan of the deities Prabhupad or anywhere else you go. But the ancient approach I found to be gradual and soothing in a slow and gentle way. You can gather your prayers. Even if it's all overwhelming, it's slowly overwhelming. Another thing is it's drawn out

and can be savoured longer. I find with cars one tends to miss much of the connection. But if you ever do this coming back from Mathura, hire the whole kit and caboodle don't let 'em load ya tanga with no room to move. That's another story.

Originally posted by Maitreya:

I will see you there.Wear a jijaji name tag so I'll know who you are.

MC...

No name tag, but I wouldn't mind saying hello believe it or not.

Jai Radhe,

jijaji

------------------

PEACE NOW

Maitreya: if I'm you when winter hits Vraja I would go South. Puri has the best weather in winter and you can bathe in the ocean even in december! The locals will look at you like you're completely nuts because for them will be freezing cold but it's really nice, and Puri is so incredible. You can continue South and go see Balaji and maybe Kanchipuram. Continue on reach Bangalore and see the Iskcon temple there that is really something and maybe visit jndas in Mysore! Go on to Sri Rangam, Guruvayor, Udupi, from there you can go to the Iskcon farm in the Kulachadri Mountains, and go to Apsara Kund and the waterfalls (don't remember the name). Those mountains are a piece of the mountain that Hanumanji carried with the herb for Laksman when he was wounded. The atmosphera there is peaceful and soothing. Tattva darshan prabhu is an incredible host and his wife is the greatest cook!

You can go to many places and get purified with all the holy association of the places and sadhus there.

Just an idea. That cold in Vrindavan is a little bit too much for me and most of the people seems depressed because they don't see the sun for weeks! maybe only my imperfect perception.

"The learned and gentle brahmanas are rejoicing within"

But this a good point Maitreya it can get so cold that ya gotta go within. I didn't want to suggest it cause I'm sure you probably have an agenda planned. But actually I was thinking that same thing, if not the south which would be really pleasant at that time, at least Puri and maybe Navadwip on the way back. Puri is truly a wonderland of Mahaprabhus presence, and from a health perspective is probably the best place to keep the bod. in peak condition. It's worth some consideration.

If you do pass down here I can take you to some nice temples in South India like Udupi, Guruvayur, etc.

But personally I think it is best to just pick one place and stay there for the entire trip, at least on the first visit. Otherwise it becomes hectic and tiring. You will see a lot of places, but you won't remember much of them.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 06-08-2001).]

Ahh... these are such great tips and stories.Thank you all.Those of us who have never been can pick up some of the flavor from you who have.

I almost felt I was on that bullock cart with you dasanudas.I'll probably arrive in taxi from Delhi this time though.

atma the idea of visiting Puri and elswhere sounds good.Mayybe I will go to Puri, I will just see once I am there.I can handle somewhat cold weather better than 100 degree type, so if it's not too radical I may just stick it out for the first trip.

jndas, I may just take you up on the temple tour but not until the next year.The idea of mostly staying put appeals to me.I want it to soak in.

Your grateful servant,

MC

Dear Maitreya,

Last year we went back to Vrndavana after not being there in 20 years. It was an inspiring visit and I know we will not stay away again for so long.

We stayed at MVT behind Krishna Balaram temple. Dina Bandu who you previously mentioned lives there in a rented condo and survives partially by giving tours. I would more than recommend you take advantage of the opportunity to tour Vrndavana with a devotee who lives there and knows the history of the temples and places of pilgrimage. Dhananjaya the MVT manager and Prem Kisore/Kasiram who runs the gosalla were our guides to the holy sites.

MVT is a great place to stay and costs $15 a night for a clean room with 2 beds and private bath.

MVT also has a good restaurant with indian or western prasad and reasonable prices.

There is also a devotee taxi pickup from the Delhi airport that takes you to Vrndavana for about $50. I would advise you to skip Delhi unless you want to see closeup what hell may be like.

Bottled water is now everywhere in India so be sure to drink only bottled water. We also added grapefruit seed extract GSE which is a natural water purifier that is supposed to help rid the body of parasites. (GSE is avaialable in any good health food store.)

Anyway I have been to India 8 times and this is the only time I did not get sick at all.

You are advised not to go out at night in Vrndavana but if you stay at MVT there are guards everywhere and it is safe to go from there to Krishna Balaram across the street where the extatic kirtans are wonderful every evening.

Dhananjaya the MVT manager will give you any info you need for shopping or travel and even how much to pay for rickshaw. (and he even settled a rickshaw walla dispute for me.)

Cars can be rented for travel to Radha Kund etc at the temple. And it is always best to take a guide like Dina Bandu with you to Goverdhan or Radha Kunda because some of the sadhus?? there will abuse and hound you incessently for money if you are not guided.

Also Cars and drivers can be rented for tours to Jaipur to see Govindaji or any other prolonged trip. We stayed two weeks in Vrndavana and then took a 10 day trip into Rajasthan. The Taj is also near Vrndavana and I suggest you take the opportunity to visit it also.

Be sure to travel light (one bag) and one of those uncuttable steel cable money belts will help you feel safer. My wife carried a special steel cable shoulder purse. Both are available at(www.travelsmith.com).

And remember you are going to the third world where there are many desparate people and western tourists stand out and look like money to them. When people on the street become too friendly beware. Take traveler checks. It is sometimes a little trouble to cash them but if somebody gets your cash

than the trip is over. And according to the devotees who live there there it happens regularly.

Hare Krishna, Brahma Das

Brahma das,

Thanks for the good tips prabhu.All the sound advice on this thread so far will undoubtedly save me and others in my position who are reading a lot of grief.

I have made arrangements with MVT already.It seems like Dhanajaya has thought of everything and has done a great service for all.

I will take the extract with me.I couldn't bring up the travelsmith page for some reason but the cabled bags sound like a must.I will keep trying.I never knew anyone made them so would have never tried without your tip.

Things must have really changed there in the last twenty years.

Maybe we will run into each other if you go again this year.

Haribol

YS MC

I checked this address (www.travelsmith.com)and it worked for me.

Also MVT has private safes in the rooms so you will not have to carry around everything all the time.

Hare Krishna,Brahma Das

MC, I won't post anything about robberies but you should avoid traveling at night, even in the Highway.

I would recommend to visit Jaipur and Sri Sri Radha Govinda. Last year we went for darshan and while waiting for the curtains to open, all of the sudden the local people started chanting this beautiful song calling for the Deities. The sound vibration was so powerful and devotional that tears started flowing from our eyes. It is a must to go there. The pujaris are very kind and allowed us to go in front even though was really packed and we got the garland of the Lord.

On the way from Vrindavan to Jaipur you may go to Karoli to take darshan of Sri Sri Radha Mohan.

Get as much mercy as you can, is freely available in Vraja.

Guest guest

Dear Friend,

Greetings from India,

I would like to ask you as to where is dhama and if you can guide me to reach manasa sarovar cause I would like to travel there to seek highest form of peace.

I am alone and want to join some ashram or go somewhere where there is no tensions I mean out of this material life.

please guide me and if you can guide me is there any place near the sea anywhere in India or abroad where they have a ashram I would like to dedicate my self for the service of that ashram or anyperson in any.

I hope you will reply as soon as possible. mail me on hashbrown_007@hotmail.com

Guest guest

It is said that in Braj everything is spritual. Nothing material. You cook, even if it is not offered to deities because of some reasons still it is transcendental. Go with full faith and say "Krishna I am eating what you have tasted first and now you are only responsible if, any thing happens to me" That's all. Devotees eat the sand of Braj because it is transcendental.

I can understand it is very difficult for all of us to reach that stage of understanding including me.

So I advise take precautions and get vaccinated if, required because you would not like your bhakti to be disturbed because of Malaria. So there is no harm in getting vaccinated.

Hari Bol!