a proposed McDonald's restaurant nearby, saying it would

foul the air with the smell of meat.

"We just really feel offended that McDonald's is planning

to come here. A big part of our religion is vegetarianism;

it's one of our main beliefs," temple-member Mike Meyer

told The Dallas Morning News. "It's like an in-your-face

type of thing."

Temple members also said the restaurant would bring

noise, trash and traffic to their quiet neighborhood.

The owner of the franchise, Karen Skinner, said the

restaurant would be beneficial to the east Dallas

neighborhood.

"We're going to create jobs and beautify the area," she

said.

Regional senior marketing manager, Zenola Worrill

Campbell, said McDonald's "is committed to be a good

neighbor."

The city's Plan Commission is scheduled to vote

Thursday on whether to approve the restaurant. The City

Council must make the final decision.

Hare Krishnas have met with elected officials and

McDonald's representatives, but they don't see how to

make the plans more acceptable, Meyer said.

"Philosophically, it flies in our face," said Nityananda

Dasa, president of the temple, called Kalachandji's

Palace. "This is a spiritual oasis. Anything that disturbs

our spiritual development obviously bothers us."

More than 1,000 people attend services at the ornate

sanctuary inside the temple, the newspaper said. Many

more eat at the temple's vegetarian restaurant,

Kalachandji's.

The religion, based on 5,000-year-old Hindu holy literature,

teaches compassion and simplicity and uses chanting to

connect with God.

That's odd... the Los Angeles temple has made its peace with a Kentucky Fried Chicken to the north and a hamburger joint--VERY CLOSE--to the west. In fact, from time to time temple devotees are seen eating there, and carefully explain that they are only eating the vegetarian preps!

Well there goes the neighborhood.If it is allowed to happen.Even people not connected to KC practice should object.Increased traffic, noise and litter.

What a mess.

McDonalds should also be run out of India before they proliferate any more there.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

I don't believe you for one second Krishnananda. You are just trying to spread rumors. Grow up.

Gauracandra

Sorry, Gauracandra, I guess you haven't visited New Dvaraka. There's a REASON it acquired the nickname "Loose Angeles" many years ago. Frankly, I suspect the Dallas devotees are more concerned about a financial competitor--another restaurant competing for traffic--than about the spiritual effect a McDonalds will have. The grhastha community in Dallas hasn't given up their televisions because of exposure to McDonalds advertising, have they?

Methinks I smell vaishya hypocrisy, not brahminical purity here.

Wrongo... I have visited New Dwarka and know the community well. What I suspect instead is that you'd rather use the internet for your own vendetta to spread rumors against others, rather than contribute in a positive fashion to these forums. The internet allows any person to spread lies and gossip about others. Unfortunately, those around the world reading these forums may not be in a position to know the untruth of your statements. I on the other hand know it to be false.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Krishnananda dasa:

Methinks I smell vaishya hypocrisy, not brahminical purity here.

Vaisya hypocrisy?Vaisya's have a duty to protect the cows right?

I remember a Kentucky Fried Chicken joint across the street from the temple in Portland years back.That disgusting smell would permeate the neighborhood.

My opinion is that any reason to oppose McDonalds and the like is a valid reason.

Originally posted by Maitreya:

Vaisya hypocrisy?Vaisya's have a duty to protect the cows right?

I remember a Kentucky Fried Chicken joint across the street from the temple in Portland years back.That disgusting smell would permeate the neighborhood.

My opinion is that any reason to oppose McDonalds and the like is a valid reason.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that they SHOULDN'T oppose McDonalds. They SHOULD.

But what I am saying is that the precedent is unfortunately against them, as too many devotees have for too long made their peace with "fast food" establishments. Surely you've seen the discussions on other Vaishnava forms about eating fast-food french fries?

Yes, I remember, also years back, a couple of devotees that patronized McDonalds"because their fries were the best".Turns out they were being cooked in beef lard.So I know it happens.To what extent I have no idea.

Unless I am absolutley forced I wouldn't go near such a place to even pass stool.And I am not a strict practioner of sadhana-bhakti.

The thought of bhaktas with neck beads and bead bags being seen patronizing such a place is sad indeed if it is still happening.

A little friendly social pressure from their God brothers may be in order.

Friends don't let their friends eat at McDonalds.

Is there no safe place for the poor Mother cow on this whole earth?

WORLD

June 27, 2001 VNN6811 Comment on this story

Cruelty Against The Cows In India

BY DR. RAJENDRA MISHRA

INDIA, Jun 27 (VNN) — Animal rights group to target Indian meat export

An international animal rights group campaigning against the use of leather exports from India said it would shift its protests to target meat exports from the country.

The U.S.-based People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it would its planned protest against Indian embassies following the government's decision to crack down on cruelty to animals.

"PETA's campaign will shift its focus to countries importing unclean and cruelly produced meat form India," it added.

Earlier this month, India's commerce and industry ministry said the state's governments had been urged to set-up panels to enforce the Prevention of Cruelties to Animal Act in 1960.

India's action followed protest from activist, included ex-Beatle Paul McCartney, and campaigns PETA which said it had persuaded five big global retailers to stop using leather from India.

PETA said it had begun a series of meetings with diplomatic envoys of countries buying halal meat from meat in India in an effort to dissuade them from buying what they said was a falsely labeled product since it was not slaughtered humanely and in the ritual Islamic manner.

"Much of the meat coming from India can in no way be considered halal, not only because of the clumsy slaughter with blunt knives, but also because of the cruelties leading up to the slaughter of the cattle."

Indian cattle meat exports are estimated to total up to 175,000 tons annually, and are valued at about 7.29 billion Rupees (1.63 million).

PETA, which estimates that around 13 million cows are slaughtered in India every year for beef and hide, say that the animal faced cruel treatment in the country despite their sacred status in Hinduism.

Cows are sacred to Hindus, who make up roughly 80% of India's population of 1 billion and their slaughter is banned in all but two of India's 26 states.

Yours truly,

Dr. Rajendra Mishra

_________

I am hoping the Indian people will give an example to the world, and kick the demon companies like McDonalds out beyond her borders.

Doing this in the name of Maharaja Pariksit would certainly be a great service.

YS MC

Manu-smriti 11.55 states there are five maha-patakas (great sins), the first four actually being sins and the fifth being association with people who have committed the previous four. So simply associating with sinful people is enough to be considered as thesin itself.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Wrongo... I have visited New Dwarka and know the community well. What I suspect instead is that you'd rather use the internet for your own vendetta to spread rumors against others, rather than contribute in a positive fashion to these forums. The internet allows any person to spread lies and gossip about others. Unfortunately, those around the world reading these forums may not be in a position to know the untruth of your statements. I on the other hand know it to be false.

Gauracandra

OK? You want names?

<<< Nope, not interested. - jndas

I could extend the list further, but will leave it at these five for starters. "Loose Angeles" acquired that nickname for a reason, though there were certainly a few admirable pockets of strict sadacara.

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 07-08-2001).]

Yeah and I also saw a person named Krishnananda dasa bite into a big juicy hamburger at McDonalds. Just because I say it over the internet means nothing. You want to spread rumors and smear the Los Angeles community, take it somewhere else. I've seen enough of your type on the internet. Always attracted to the stool. Like little old biddies sitting around gossiping with the fellow housewives.

Gauracandra

Hey, everyone.

I just wanted to say, I think this bickering is pointless. Maybe the New Dwarka community is too loose. I'm not sure. I only visited there for one week, and they were kind of hostile toward me and my friends, and we are disciples of Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaj. That's all I can say.

The important point of Bhutabhavana Prabhu's post is, McDonald's sees fit to move their restaurant next to a temple where people worship God, and are very much against cow killing. This is akin to having a neo-nazi group set up shop next to a Jewish Synagogue. If people don't start protesting this ASAP, organizations like McDonald's and the City of Dallas will see Krishna devotees as pushovers, and take advantage of them in any way they can.

Look, I certainly have no love for ISKCON. But regarding certain matters we should have a certain level of unity and speak out against blatant wrongs. Perhaps nobody will speak up against what's happening in Dallas, and only because the devotees are ISKCON. But what happens next week when they open McDonald's (Krsna forbid) next to *YOUR* faction's temple. Then what? Is that when you stand up to the bad hand that's been dealt to you?

Guest guest

<h3>McDonald's hit with 'unhappy meals' syndrome blames bad service for lost

sales</h3>

<font face="verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif" size="2">

Already under pressure from growing concerns about obesity and "mad cow" disease, plus the antics of anti-globalisation protesters, the McDonald's hamburger chain now has another problem: customers turning away in droves because they do not like the way they are treated.

According to a survey picked up by the Dow Jones news service on an in-house McDonald's website, as many as 11 per cent of the company's customers worldwide are dissatisfied enough to complain each day. Of these, some 70 per cent are unhappy with the way their complaint is handled, leading to a sharp drop-off in custom and uncomplimentary comments to friends. And they are likely to be just the tip of the iceberg.

"Most customers who have complaints do not share it with the restaurants – they just don't come back," the website said.Rude service was the number one complaint worldwide, running out of "Happy Meals" was the second. In Britain, slow service was identified as the main source of frustration.

The issue – almost certainly the result of hiring young and inexperienced workers on low wages – was the subject of a conference at the McDonald's "Hamburger University" near Chicago last month. Delegates were told the problem could be costing the company $750m a year in lost sales.

The figures indicated that 1 per cent of all complaints were from "scammers" looking for a free lunch.

Guest guest

<h3>Opposed McDonald's wins early city approval</h3>

By Eva-Marie Ayala

Star-Telegram Dallas Bureau

DALLAS - Planning commissioners approved a zoning change Thursday that, if approved in a City Council vote next month, will allow the building of a McDonald's restaurant close to a Hare Krishna community that is protesting its construction.

Kalachandji's Palace Temple members have said the site, at the southwest corner of Interstate 30 and Grand Avenue, is too close to the temple's school and will generate excessive traffic, noise and litter that will cause property values to decline.

"I am not surprised. ... I feel they had cast a blind eye to our legitimate protest," temple President Vinod Patel said.

The zoning change is scheduled for a final vote by the City Council next month.

"At least we have the opportunity to voice our opinions, and now we will talk again when it goes to the City Council," he said.

McDonald's franchise owner Karen Skinner said the majority of the community signed a petition in favor of the restaurant.

"It is only a minority that has been vocal in opposing it," she said. "Most of the community knows what good things McDonald's brings to communities, including about 60 jobs, most of which will go to those who live there."

Skinner said the restaurant will be well landscaped and have an indoor children's area and computers.

No date for the start of construction has been set.

Most of the land is zoned commercial, but a small portion has a stipulation that no restaurants or hotels be built on that site, Skinner said.

Originally posted by rand0M aXiS:

[deletia]

Kalachandji's Palace Temple members have said the site, at the southwest corner of Interstate 30 and Grand Avenue, is too close to the temple's school...

Aha! Now I understand the problem. ISKCON taught for years that, in the words of one guru and GBC, "it is better to eat hamburgers than to listen to Sridhara Maharaja."

So as the Dallas devotee children discover that it is good to listen to Sridhara Maharaja, they will naturally conclude, per their ISKCON training, that as good as it is to listen to Sridhara Maharaja, eating a hamburger must be even better. Thus the danger of a convenient McDonalds.

Hi KAdasa:

Are you a member of ISKCON-Dallas?

Why are you so anti-McDonald duck in your posts?

Vegetarians and meat-eaters, same side of the same coin. 'Make' sure you reply.

[This message has been edited by Bhakta Shakta (edited 07-28-2001).]