IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Wheat Gluten

Rate this topic

Does anyone have some good recipes for wheat gluten? I find that whenever I eat it, I feel much more energetic. Its like the concentrated protein really gives me a kick start and I feel really good. I've found some of the soybean chunks at a healthfood store. But the problem is they have zero taste. I'm not much of a cook, so if anyone has some simple procedures for preparing such foodstuffs it would be appreciated.

Guest guest

this will give you the most perfect gluten you will ever have.

Ingredients---gluten flour

powdered milk(whole or

lowfat is best)

oil or ghee

baking pan

water(room temperature)

the amounts of each ingredient varies according to the type of gluten you desire.

Take the milk powder add water and oil,mix

well,a thick consistency is best,like kheer,or condensed milk,the more oil you add the oiler the result,i use on average a tablespoon for every cup of flour.

Then add gluten flour and mix well with fork,the thicker you make it,the tougher the end result will be.

Pre heat oven to 400,butter pan,butter is better,it prevents sticking,oil does not,unless you have teflon or something like it.

Put gluten on center of pan,flatten a little,it will inflate like a balloon,so bake on lowest rack.

Put in oven,takes about 25-35 minutes depending on size,it is done when it is completely inflated and brown.

After taking it out,it will deflate,and cave in.

After it cools,either use or store in water in a container in frig.

When using refrigerated gluten squeeze out the water first,then either stir fry,or bake for 10 minutes at 350.Then put in sauce or whatever.

When cooking in sauce or beans,it needs to cook for a variety of times according to how tough it is,it becomes more tender the longer you cook it in a sauce.

If you want gluten by itself,putting spices in before you make it can change it's quality,and i do not recommend it.

enjoy..need more info..just ask.

Thanks for the info. I was looking on the internet and found some other recipes. What sort of proportions do you recommend? From what I've read it doesn't sound all that difficult. I think this weekend I'm going to try my hand at making gluten. I've made homemade yogurt before, so this should be fun.

Guest guest

the proportions vary depending on how tough you want the gluten.

If you want a tough gluten make the dough resemble chapati dough ,the thinner and looser you make it,the more tender the result.

The other recipes for straight gluten are not as good as mine,there are other good recipes for different types of gluten such as sausages,pepperoni etc,although for plain gluten my method is best.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Thanks for the info. I was looking on the internet and found some other recipes. What sort of proportions do you recommend? From what I've read it doesn't sound all that difficult. I think this weekend I'm going to try my hand at making gluten. I've made homemade yogurt before, so this should be fun.

gauracandra,

haribol! juz want to share with u 2 ez gluten recipes which you may find handy one of these days:

AFRITADA- this recipe is a famous dish in our country, the philippines, has its spanish flavor to it, originally this recipe uses chicken, but we are saving more chicken here by replacing the meat with gluten! Posted Image

½ kg gluten, sliced ¾”

6 pc medium potatoes, diced ¾

2 pc. Carrots, diced ¾”

4 pc small green and red sweet bell pepper, sliced in squares

1/3 cup celery, sliced small

vinegar

salt

black pepper

brown sugar

soy sauce

olive oil (optional)

cooking oil (for frying)

tomato sauce

Fry sliced gluten chunks that have been seasoned with salt and pepper, until light golden brown and crispy. Drain. Set aside.

Slightly fry the potatoes and carrots. Set aside. Saute celery, add bell pepper, add tomato sauce, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Add prefried potatoes, carrots, and gluten. Add 1-2 cups of water to make saucy. Bring to boil, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add olive oil if desired. Serve.

GLUTEN ALA KING-this recipe needs no introduction

½ k gluten

1 pc each green and red bell pepper

1 cup evaporated milk

1 cup quickmelt cheese (grated)

1 tsp black pepper

1 can pimiento (diced)

½ k potatoes

1 cup sweet peas

1 cup cream of mushrooms

leeks (optional)

Cut gluten in cubes and fry until golden brown. Set aside. Cut potatoes in cubes and fry until golden brown. Set aside. Saute green and red bell pepper and leeks. Stir in evaporated milk, cream of mushroom and grated cheese and a little amount of water. Season with salt and pimiento. Boil stirring constantly, then add fried gluten, potatoes and sweet peas. Serve.

Let me know how it turns out!

Haribol!

Thanks for the recipes Popkern. I really want to try my hand at making some wheat glutten. I haven't had a chance just yet, but it doesn't sound too difficult. I'm not much of a cook, but I think I can follow your recipes. Thanks for the assist.

Adventures in Glutten Making

Ok, I tried making glutten this morning and it has turned out as a disaster Posted Image As I type my house is filled with the distinct smell of smoke and burnt gluten. I suck Posted Image

So I go to the store this morning and look at the flour section. I was hoping to find something that said "Gluten wheat flour" but didn't find anything like this [as you can tell I know zip-zero about cooking]. I end up buying whole wheat flour.

I had read some recipes on the internet. I decided to go with those because they gave some measurements. I probably should have gone with Shivas recipe (could you give proportions). So basically I was to mush up the wheat flour with water until and let soak. I didn't have a very big pot, so I had to use two bowls. Basically I just mushed it, then let the particles float to the bottom and then poured out the white water. I did this process over and over until all the white was gone, and all I had was brown gluten. I think this is all I needed.

I let that sit for like 30 minutes. Then I decided to try rolling into balls. The problem is it would never form anything. This is the exact same problem I had when I tried making homemade curd. I could never turn the curd cheese into square blocks. It was just crumbly material. Anyways, I squeezed and squeezed, until I had some shape. Now the recipe I found on the internet said to boil it in water.

So I drop the little glutten ball into the water and.... Voila.... it dissolves instantly giving me glutten water Posted Image What??!!??? I suck Posted Image

So I decide that I read a recipe on the internet that said to microwave it. I figure maybe that will harden it up, then I'll boil it. So I tried that. After 8 minutes I took it out and it was firmer. I thought "Well I remember the recipe said 45 minutes, I'll try another 10 minutes".

So I leave it in the microwave and do a few things around the house. Next thing you know I smell the smell of burning gluten Posted Image I open

up the microwave and my gluten is not only burnt but my tupperware thing is also burnt all the way through and I have melted plastic on my circular glass bottom. So actually I was smelling the smell of melted plastic and gluten Posted Image Ummmm.... yum....

So basically I suck. I have plenty of flour left to try other experiments. Any advice? I know one mistake I made was trying to put into practice various recipes all at once, rather than sticking to one.

Shiva, your recipe calls for milk powder. How much do I put in. Also, you say gluten flour. I couldn't find anything that says this. I used the method described (wash, rinse, drain, wash, rinse drain...) to get my gluten.

Ok, enough of my public cooking humiliation Posted Image I need to light some incense Posted Image

Guest guest

hah hah hah

You dont have a health food store near you ?,also safeway usually has gluten flour,also other supermarkets carry it,call around.

measurements vary according to how tough or tender you want the gluten to come out.

make the milk powder into the consisitency of kheer,almost syrupy.

Blend in the flour till you get the desired consistency,use a fork,thick like chapati flour dough will give a tough result,less flour makes it mour tender.

After baking,soak in water,then when using in dish,squeeze off moist water,then either stir fry,or bake at 250 for i5 minutes,then add to dish,the longer you cook in the dish the tenderer it becomes.

My recipe is vstly superior to the boiling method,the gluten comes out excellent,not the almost cardboard like texture of boiling,but a very meat like substance that could fool any one.

Also it is quick and simple,add spices after baking though,the spices change the texture if put in before baking.

If you are successfull,a good recipe

is to take some soaked gluten bake or stirfry,then top with grated cheese,or take a chunk of cheese dunk both gluten and cheese in a thick batter then deep fry,use tomatoe chutney as dip.

Cheese and gluten go really well together,

the melting kind of cheese.

Also cooking the gluten in a bean dish gives a very succulent quality to the gluten.

Hahaha that was a hilarious read. Kind of reminds me of a series of I Love Lucy type fiascos I had in the parking lot the other day.

Another way to make gluten is to make a thick chapati type dough, with just the flour and water, and then rinse and rinse and rinse, in a large bowl, until there is only gluten left. Slice it, saute it a bit, with maybe things like soy sauce or whatever, according to what you want to do and add a little water. Cook until tender, adding water if necessary. The juice part should be good too. Then you can throw it in whatever. I like the sound of those cheese gluten things, though I am a little afraid of them right now.

I also get gluten flour, and all I do is mix it with water, carefully as it lumps, and prepare as above. But I will try this baked way too. But I'm just thinking if you want to start real basic, since you have not made it before (apart from the Gluten ala Gaurachandra) well, really it's as simple as the above directions.

Now i have the urge to make some. My daughter just got a nice amouont of gluten flour given to her.

JR

Adventures in Gluten Making Part II

Ok, at this very moment I am trying my second try at gluten making. Here is the difference. I spoke to a devotee about what I had tried to do and failed at. Basically he said not to use whole wheat flour. I just assumed that since it is wheat gluten, I was supposed to use whole wheat flour. But he says that if you do this then yes it does dissolve on contact with water.

I'm supposed to use white flour (bleached or unbleached). So I have a pot of white dough soaking in water right now. I'll let it sit for some time, and then start wash, rinse cycle.

Wish me luck Posted Image

Adventures in Gluten Making Part II

ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE... [lighting]... [thunder]... ummm... ermm... I mean, I'VE DONE IT, I'VE DONE IT...

From the depths of failure, to the mountain tops of success. Few have travelled the journey that I have today.... I feel powerful, I feel undefeatable. It is as if all the energies of the great gluten makers of the past are travelling through my veins even as I type... I don't suck... I RULE!!!!

Posted Image

Ok, enough with the gloating, and boasting. I can say that my gluten experiment has succeeded. From 3 cups of white flour I have managed to make 9 golf ball sized gluten chunks. I boiled them in water, and waited for them to float to the top.

I have decided to hold them till tomorrow when I'll fry them up, and prepare them in some manner.

Stay tuned... the legendary tale continues...

Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Gauracandra (edited 07-14-2002).]

The gluten turned out very well. I fried them very lightly and then cooked them in tomato sauce for spaghetti. It was a fun learning experience, and now that I know how easy it is to make I think I'll try some other dishes. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

I made another batch today. This time it was lightly fried in olive oil, then doused in Braggs Amino Acids. It was very tasty along with some steamed veggies.

watch out for more of gauracandra's exciting gluten adventures! Posted Image

Natural Health Tip of the Day - Monday July 29, 2002

Hey Popcorn, Pop This!

Healthy Barbeque Marinade

Researchers have linked the blackened charred parts of barbequed food as having carcinogenic (cancer causing) effects. The following marinade recipe is tasty, and includes ingredients that make barbequed gluten safer to enjoy. Use this recipe for outdoor grilling and also for indoor smokeless grilling. In a glass bowl, mix 6 tablespoons olive oil, 4 tablespoons cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, one-half cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons grainy mustard, 4 crushed garlic cloves and one teaspoon salt (if desired). Place the gluten in a large re-sealable plastic bag, cover with the marinade, and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

EMAZING Quote of the Day

Humor is an affirmation of dignity, a declaration of man's superiority to all that befalls him. - Romain Gary

Tarun:

Haribol! thanks for sharing that recipe, i have been looking for the perfect barbeque sauce mix, i hope this is it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif keep sending those tried and tested recipes!

Guest guest

vinegar burns holes in the stomach lining,

it is the number one cause of stomach problems.

One man's food is another man's poison.

Last year I had a midnight dream in which SP during his last days in Vraj said to me one word: "Vinegar"

At least it sounded like "Vinegar", whch I knew was not used in our Vedil Vaisnav kitchens.

Upon further inquiry SP said: "Madhya Part 6"

Not finding Vinegar mentioned therein, I figured SP must be referring to VidyAnAgar town which was.

Our most senior godbrother, the late great Usik Prabhu, described Vinegar as "worm urine"

However, isn't Honey "bee saliva"?

I do NOT regularly ingest vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar is recommended for arthritis relief.

Generally, spiced lemon or lime juice can be substituted.

If one's digestive tract is caked with grime (such as ama = rheuma), then such acid can be helpful.