IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
ahilya

Depression and spiritual well being

Rate this topic

I was wondering if people would share their experiences on how to deal with depression without taking medication. I have lost my job and even though I thought I could deal with this situation, I am having a real hard time. I am taking St. John's wort and I have been praying a lot. I am Hindu and love this religion but sometimes I feel like if I were more spiritual I would be able to handle this situation. Let me know what you think.

Dear Ahilya,

I often think people who aren't mentally disturbed in this material world must be...well, mentally disturbed. There's no getting around it; it's a disturbing place to be. Unnatural to the soul, who is composed of sac-cid-ananda, the true substance, eternity, knowledge and bliss. So I agree with you, that ultimately, depression comes from forgetfulness of our constitutional position, as loving servants of the Lord. Lacking spirituality, we absorb ourselves in the world of birth, death, disease and old age, as if it is all we have.

On the level of an embodied being, depression can appear to have many bases, including chemical imbalance. Short-term depression can arise from events like losing a job or spouse. Srila Prabhupada said we should never try to imitate a pure devotee, like Queen Kunti, who actually prayed for calamities so that she could remember Krsna. It is better to admit our present condition--if we are fortunate enough to have some awareness of it--and work from there.

So I see that doing what one has to on a physical level, combined with chanting, hearing, associating with devotees, engaging our wayward minds in understanding the sublime philosophy of Krsna consciousness, and performing devotional service however possible, is a dynamic process for progressing spiritually. We must strive to keep body and soul together while we are here. It is our duty, as the body is a temple of the Lord, and given to us as an opportunity to use in Krsna's service. And just as we try to eat healthy food, and sleep the right amount, why should we not also attend to the more subtle body: the mind?

I hope the St John's Wort helps you. The B vitamins, in combination, also help many people. I think of it as the happy vitamin.

Ultimately, I am finding that absorption in the reassuring words of the scriptures, and bombarding the senses as much as possible with hearing, and seeing the beautiful forms of the Lord, whether in pictures, Deity form, or in the mind, and generally engaging oneself however possible in somehow immersing oneself in the ocean of nectar so mercifully at our disposal, is a guarantee for happiness.

I recently went through a very long bout of severe illness, all through this winter, during which I was immobile, in pain, and unable to eat for several weeks. I had little or no company, and was severely, frighteningly, depressed. One night I pleaded with the all-compassionate Srimate Radharani to help me see some light, and get some relief from this burden of bodily consciousness. The next day I received an email that was so full of nectar, and sent with such loving intent, that I felt an immediate raising of my spirits, and that heavy depression hasn't been back since. I just needed that little kickstart in regaining my taste and inclination and faith to engage myself in Krsna consciousness, and it changed my perspective. For example, I was finding it hard to breathe, what to speak of talk, what to speak of chanting japa for any length of time. But I found that listening to Srila Prabhupada chanting japa, while lying in my bed, absorbed my mind in the Holy Names, heard through the lips of the pure devotee. I remembered that just wishing I could do service for my Deities was a meditation, was actually service itself, and this eradicated the guilt that enhanced my depression. I got some real glimpses of how there are no limits for the soul to engage in Krsna consciousness, somehow or other. Realizations like that began to unfold, and angelic people also began to flow into my life more, as if I had opened my heart to receving the goodness that our dearmost friend Sri Krsna, in our hearts, is always offering us, which could be ours if only we would listen and accept.

I think it is important to face the fact of depression, and convey it to someone else, as you have done here. And no one is better for confiding in than a devotee, for we boost each other up with reminders about our position in this material world, and contrasting reminders about the sublime world we really belong in. It helps to have a friend you can confide in without fear of being judged harshly. If that is not available, there are intimate groups in most towns, which one can participate in. Sharing one's feelings can be a first step in the road to recovery, finding, in the course of that sharing, that it is a more common malady than one might expect. When depressed, you can even think the whole world is happy except you. The real truth is that everyone is depressed, to the degree that they are disconnected from Krsna. Ackowledging that, one may let go of the depression more easily, understanding with confidence that there are real things we can do, to solve this problem of inhabitating a material body and mind.

As for losing your job. I once heard Srila Prabhupada say that when Krsna is there, Laxmi is there. He elaborated on this by saying that in Krsna consciousness, "all our needs, material and spiritual", are automatically taken care of.

And remember also, that verse in the Bhagavad-gita which speaks of the impermanence of happiness and distress, and how they arise from sense perception only. This too, shall pass.

I hope some of this might be of help to you. You have my sympathies. Remember you are not alone. Ever.

sincerely, Jayaradhe

Guest guest

The best help I can offer is to talk to a trained professional. There are ways to restructure your thoughts so they don't make your depression worse. Depressed people see things differently than people who are not depressed. I learned this myself.

A great site if you are looking for some solid, confidential help (from someone who isn't a quack or just out for money) is www.etherapy-online.com

I have found this to be helpful.

Good luck.

Chant Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare/Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

This transcendental vibration helps you to get detached from all material attachments and logs you on directly to Krishna. You start thinking 24 hours about Krishna and all your worries get vanished.

This is my personal experience. I got into KC by His grace, before that I was an atheist!!

Modern day Psychologists are big .. They do not go deeper than the materialistic level. KC directly goes to the soul.

Hare Krishna

<font color="blue"> Hare Krishna </font color>

One of the well known causes for depression, is always thinking selfishly about yourself all the time,

the me me me syndrome as its called, if you can reflect on the positives aspects of life it can really help you,

the maha-mantra is a definite must for a more peaceful mind, but over and above this one should try to control the senses (BG),

eating/sleeping less and chanting can actually help you feel better,

but if you feel very depressed or suicidal then it is best to pray to Srimati Radharani/ and seek medical help ASAP