IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Is Maple Syrup OK?

Rate this topic

I'm talking about the real stuff that comes from trees, not the corn syrup with maple flavoring. Now my first thought is an immediate "Yes". But I have some nagging feeling, and I can't put my finger on it. I think somewhere I got the impression that tree sap might not be a mode of goodness foodstuff. Or maybe its the way it is harvested. They basically cut the tree and 'bleed' its sap out. But then again, is this really bad, since we see no harm in cutting down trees for wood, or uprooting all sorts of plants. So I can't figure out why I have this feeling it might not be the best. Logically I see no reason since it is plant based. I can only think it might not be considered in the mode of goodness, just like prohibitions against eating garlic. Any thoughts?

Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 6, Ch.9,texts 6, 7, 8

Translation

Although Indra was so powerful that he could neutralize the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana, he repentantly accepted the burden of these reactions with folded hands. He suffered for one year, and then to purify himself he distributed the reactions for this sinful killing among the earth, water, trees and women

Translation

In return for King Indra's benediction that ditches in the earth would be filled automatically, the land accepted one fourth of the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana. Because of this sinful reactions, we find many deserts on the surface of the earth.

Translation

In return for Indra's benediction that their branches and twigs would grow back when trimmed, the trees accepted one fourth of the reaction for killing a brahmana. These reactions are visible in the flowing of sap from trees. (Therefore one is forbidden to drink this sap.)

Thanks for that quote. I knew somewhere, at some time, I had been under the impression that tree sap was forbidden. Still, maple syrup is sooooooo good…. I guess I can go with the cheap alternative (corn syrup with maple flavoring)… but still Posted Image

According to ZrIpAd Bhaktigaurava Narasimha Mhrj aka Jagat-guru Swami, who has a maple syrup sap-producing trees at his Vermont azram:

"Refraining from Maple Syrup is not a significant principle. To deny an Amerikan, trying to practice KC, maple syrup's taste & energy may prove to be counterproductive.

Too many rules, not enough bhakti."

Well yes, but I don't see what a big sacrifice it is anyway, especially for a sannyasi. Not like it's a survival thing, that every American just has to have. Most Americans haven't had anything other than the Aunt Jemima kind anyway.

But yes, I was concluding myself, that there are so many many things in the Vedas, that we don't even know about, like this, and that the rules aren't as important as the bhakti, or we would have been instructed about this, as we were about onions and mushrooms.

Since my health is in a dire state I decided I will continue with this healthy food, which has a good effect on me. And chant more. Besides, the corn syrup fake stuff is passionate and unhealthy. What to speak of tasteless.

Just thought I'd put some fun facts about Maple Syrup I found:

Sugarin': Just the Facts....

Sugar Maple Trees

There are four different kinds of maple trees native to northeastern United States, all of which produce spring sap flows, can be tapped and will produce maple syrup. The four trees are: Sugar Maple (or Hard Maple), Silver Maple (or soft maple), Red Maple (or Swamp Maple), and Ash Leafed Maple (or Box Elder).

The Sugar Maple is the main maple producing tree. The sap from the sugar maple contains about 3% sugar, while the saps from the others contain half to two thirds as much. Also, the syrup made from the other saps are darker and less flavorful.

What is Maple Sap?

Maple sap is thin, barely sweet, and as colorless as spring water. The distinctive maple taste comes only through boiling.

Where does the sap come from?

Maple sap is found in the living tissues of the roots, stems, twigs and trunk of the maple tree.

What causes the sap flow?

Sap flow is related to rising temperatures. Warming temperatures above 32 degrees F increases sap pressure. Sap runs in fits and starts from the first spring thaw until the buds turn into leaves from mid-March until April. A good maple season has warm days, but nights below freezing.

History of Sugaring

The North American Indians were the first to discover 'sinzibukwud', the Algonquin (a North American Indian tribe) word for maple syrup, meaning literally 'drawn from wood'.

They would use their tomahawks to make V shaped incisions in the trees, then insert reeds or concave pieces of bark to run the sap into buckets made from birch bark. Because no proper equipment was available, the sap was slightly concentrated either by throwing hot stones in the bucket or by leaving it overnight and tossing the layer of ice out which had formed on the top. It was drunk as a sweet drink or used in cooking.

The first white settlers and fur traders introduced wooden buckets to the process, as well as iron and copper kettles. Later they would bore holes in the trees and hang their buckets on home-made spouts.

Once the sap is collected it is boiled down into syrup the same day. It takes between 35 to 40 gallons of maple sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup. Once the final boiling is done, friends and family often celebrate with a 'Sugarin' Off' Party. A special treat is Maple Taffy...steaming, hot syrup poured over fresh clean snow.

Nutritional Value of Maple Syrup

Pure maple syrup is a natural food, processed from the pure sap of maple trees. During processing, the natural nutrients remain in the syrup.

Sugars: The main sugar in pure maple syrup is sucrose. The darker grades of syrup also contain small, variable amounts of fructose and glucose. In order of sweetness, sucrose is less sweet than fructose and sweeter than glucose.

Minerals and Vitamins: Maple syrup also contains minerals, vitamins, and amino acids. The primary minerals are: calcium, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, and iron. Vitamins include: riboflavin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, niacin, biotin, and folic acid.

Calories per tablespoon:

Pure Maple Syrup 40 calories

Molasses 40 calories

Honey 45 calories

Cane Sugar 52 calories

Corn Syrup 60 calories

Grading of Maple Syrup

The grades of syrup are actually just differences in flavor and color. All grades are equal quality -- it's just a matter of personal preference. Read about the different grades of syrup.

The syrup grades vary with the seasonal changes of the tree sap. Vermont Fancy, for example, is the most difficult to make. It is only produced early in the season, because it requires colder temperatures. As the spring weather warms up, the syrup gradually darkens, giving us the other grades.

I wish we could find out if it is harn\mful to the tree though, or violent in some way. Although, the trees seem to keep producing, like a cow gives milk. Could Krsna ahve arranged for it to produce enough for itself and then some?

I am still wondering about the sap and curse thing. Because we use asafoetida, which is a tree sap, and also we use those resinous incenses, which are tree sap.

Pete Seeger recorded a cute song about "Maple Syrup" time.

How can we get its lyrics? Suggestions?

I rarely have any myself.

Once or twice I procured 1/2 gal of the 'Real McCoy' for a discount at a wholesale warehouse.

Asafoetida tree sap? Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I knew this. Very interesting. And it is acceptable. So perhaps maple syrup as well. And of course the resins incense is from tree sap.

I've known devotees who go for long periods of fasting to cleanse the body using maple syrup. Not sure if its the real or fake kind. Basically they eat nothing, but live for a few weeks on maple syrup, lemon juice, and water mixed together. There might be some other ingredient as well. Thats all they consume. The maple syrup gives them the energy to keep going. Never tried it myself though.

Yes, that fast means the real maple syrup, of course, because its strong nutrients are part of the deal. It's also a good morning drink. I have fresh lemon and hot water every morning--this has been recommended by my ayuvedic doctor in England, and I have also seen this recommended in many other places ans schools of medicinal thought. Sometimes I add maple syrup for extra benefits, if I'm not eating enough. If someone can not observe fast days due to health issues, this maple lemon drink will keep them going.

Well it's funny that I have made pancakes twice since this thread started. We get organic maple syrup cheap here for some reason, the Springhill brand.

Yesterday I was reading Yamuna's cookbook (one of these years I will do more than read from it) and noticed that several of her recipes call for maple syrup or maple sugar. Over the course of eight years she had the great fortune of cooking for Srila prabhupada personally. I trust her discretion.

Yes, that diet was going around a few years back.

I also tried it.

Main thing is to get in touch with your own Constitution.

And don't forget your Bill of Rights!

na dhanam na janam na sundariM kavitam vA jagadIza kAmaye..

In return for Indra's benediction that their branches and twigs would grow back when trimmed, the trees accepted one fourth of the reaction for killing a brahmana. These reactions are visible in the flowing of sap from trees. (Therefore one is forbidden to drink this sap.)

Trees accepted one fourth of the sin because Lord Brahma asked them to do so. Trees asked Brahma, "Oh Lord, how are we going to get rid of the sin?".

Lord replied, "Do not worry. In the kali age, some people will drink your sap; the sin will leave you and catch them."

Originally posted by atma:

Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 6, Ch.9,texts 6, 7, 8

Translation

Although Indra was so powerful that he could neutralize the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana, he repentantly accepted the burden of these reactions with folded hands. He suffered for one year, and then to purify himself he distributed the reactions for this sinful killing among the earth, water, trees and women

Translation

In return for King Indra's benediction that ditches in the earth would be filled automatically, the land accepted one fourth of the sinful reactions for killing a brahmana. Because of this sinful reactions, we find many deserts on the surface of the earth.

Translation

I am thinking that sugar from sugar cane is being from the flowing sap of that which has been pressed out at the sugar cane mills and after having much refined. Dear Atmaji are you thinking that the sap from sugar cane has been reffined away all its sin making the white sugar sinfree?Are you thinking that remaining molasses is having all the sin which was being there originally in the sugar cane sap?

"Anything worthwhile takes a little time."

Chorus from Seeger's Maple Syrup song.

Gradually we'll all give up eating & sleeping altogether.

Meanwhile we gradually introduce as much tapasya as we can.

Like ZrIla RAghunAth dAs GoswAmI's example.

Speaking of maple syrup, here's a delicious, nutritious snack that I came up with:

1. Into a small (preferably disposable) bowl put a handful of chopped dates.

2. Add a couple of handfuls of mixed nuts (I prefer Wal-Mart's brand because it has less than 50% peanuts and it includes macadamia nuts.)

3. Add enough honey and/or refrigerated (thick) maple syrup to completely cover everything.

This treat reminds me of eating a delicious candy bar, only it's better because it is moist rather than dry.

[This message has been edited by Pratyatosa Dasa (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by Tarun:

Gradually we'll all give up eating & sleeping altogether.

<center>And it really doesn't matter that we don't eat

And it really doesn't matter if we never sleep

No it really doesn't matter, really doesn't matter at all

Coz we are so young now, we are so young, so young now

And when tommorow comes, we can do it all again

( http://www.lyricsstyle.com/t/thecorrs/soyoung.html )</center>

I got a real kick out of reading Pratyatosa's recipe. Oh so sweet! No thank you! And roasted salty nuts! No thank you! Kind of reminds me of Gauracandra's quest for what turned out to be a very sickening gooey special saffron pudding thing. One man I know uses ketchup as like a chutney and all purpose kind of spread for innumerable things, like uncooked tofu. Oh my God.

I would love to see a thread of men's recipes, I mean from men who cook for themselves. Seriously. anyone?

JR

Originally posted by JRdd:

I got a real kick out of reading Pratyatosa's recipe. Oh so sweet! No thank you! And roasted salty nuts! No thank you!

Dear JR Devi Prabhu, you can laugh all you want, but the fact is, I haven't missed one minute of work due to illness since I started cooking for myself about 2 years ago (knock on wood).

I would love to see a thread of men's recipes, I mean from men who cook for themselves. Seriously. anyone?

Here's a couple for starters:

Delicious, Nutritious 10 Minute Recipe: Hot Oatmeal and Farina Cereal ( http://www.howardbest.com/HotCereal2.htm )

Delicious, Nutritious 10 Minute Recipe: Mixed Vegetables and Rice ( http://pratyatosa.com/MixedVegisAndRice.htm )

Thanks! I got an equal kick out of both of them. I will revisit for additional laughs. Too cute!

I tend to go for fresh and simple, and simply admire the healthy constitutions of anyone who can eat all these things in these recipes.

JR

Pratyatosji make a very important point:

Cooking for yourself.

PrabhupAd said brAhmaNas should & do cook for themselves.

He is in touch with himself physically, mentally, spiritually will know just how much to spice, mix, blend etc.

Bhaktisundar Govinda Mhrj said (If there is true dedication at home):

"Mother's cooking is very nice. Wife's cooking tastes still nicer."

I tend to go for fresh and simple, and simply admire the healthy constitutions of anyone who can eat all these things in these recipes.

This modern system of using non-renewable energy in the form of diesel and jet fuel to transport fresh produce from all over the world is artificial and temporary.

My mother, at 84, is in excellent health. She lives by herself in a lakeshore house, and very rarely needs any help from anybody. In fact, I have my laptop plugged into her broadband 4 port Internet router right now!

She told me that when she was growing up out in the country in North Dakota, if they didn't eat canned foods for most of the year, they wouldn't have had anything to eat! This is the really natural way to live!

I took my wife and three kids to San Diego in 1990 to visit my mother's mother when she was 101, and my wife's reaction was that talking to her was just like talking to anyone else! We took her to Govinda's restaurant, and she said, "Oh! I've eaten here before! I like the food here!"

Go figure!

Ys, Ptd

[This message has been edited by Pratyatosa Dasa (edited 04-03-2002).]