IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Citta Hari

Ekadasi foods info?

Rate this topic

An Indian Godbrother gave us some samo (morio) as a grain substitute for Ekadasi. Does anyone know what this stuff is? It cooks into a pasty mass (not unlike the stuff used in grade school art class), which indicated its starchy nature and makes me think it's a root of some sort.

And any other ideas for grain subs besides the old standards of buckwheat and tapioca?

That's Quinoa, pronounced Kin-wa. Supposedly it keeps forever (for those thinking of long term storage), bugs never get into it either. I have a big jar of it but keep putting off tyring to do something with it. If anyone knows about its preparation or some good recipes, I would appreciate it. This is supposed to be really good for you, especially for those who cant have wheat. I did not know it was a nongrain, great.

Is millet a grain?

Gujeratis like to use Taro root. We used to get it frozen, and deep fry it and it was incredible, or make vegetables out of it.

Is that samo you mentioned, Citahari, the same as sago (tapioca)? There is a delicious savory you can make with soaked sago and chopped peanuts, all kind of sauted with spices. If anyone knows a recipe please add it here. I can't remember how to make it. My diet forbids it but I bet others would appreciate it.

In some temples we used banana flour to make halavah and puris, and also chestnut flour to make halavah.

Sago and samo are not the same. Thanks for the reminder on quinoa, I had forgotten that it's a non-grain. It cooks similar to rice, and has a distinct flavor all its own. Some people find it rather unappealing, especially if cooked alone and eaten like rice, but if it's in a dish like kitcari I think it's quite good.

Millet, however, is indeed a grain.

Oh I was just referring to the fattiness of food prepared this way (I think they use a lot of oil--or whatever--in oder to saute this mixture correctly).

I have recently been informed I am in the stage of liver failure. The complications are awesome. I am hoping they will give me a chance at sticking around a bit longer by offering me a liver transplant, but I don't know how long I would be on a waiting list. So I am preparing for both life and death; that way I can be sure I get one of them right. I don't want to leave my teenage daughter at this stage in her life, but I also know that even that ultimate surrender (for a mother) must be given to the hands of Krsna. But any prayers would be appreciated.

Liver failure is bigtime. Have u noticed anything helpful?

Like raisins, dates, grapes, figs, cashews, pistachios?

Kerela juice?

Kerela juice can send all enemies out screaming!

Something out there afforded by Mother Earth & Father Time will do the trick.

Chemical imbalance. Each person's chemistry slightly differs.

R u very sensitive to how each food affects your strength?

Fresh air, sunshine, water?

On 4Sep1972, about 50 devotees including myself, were initiated which = today (lunar calendar), annadA-ekAdazI by SrIla A.C.BhaktivedAnta SwAmI PrabhupAd in New VRndAvan.

Anyone else out there get initiated that day?

Kuza-kratha Prabhu received Gayatri. New VRndAvan's ZyAma-kuNDa received 1st.

Today I'm honoring herbal tea, green italian grapes.

Most ekAdazIs recommend, call for full fast to get premium benefit.