IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Soy Milk

Rate this topic

Ordinarily I don't drink soy milk. But I was at my local health food store today and decided on the spur of the moment to pick up some. They had an interesting write up on the side that I thought I'd post here:

Henry Ford: A Man Who Used His Bean

Soybeans originally travelled to the United States by ship when Samuel Bowen smuggled them from China in 1765. But it was Henry Fod who put them in cars. When the Great Depression hit, it hit farmers especially hard. Huge farm surpluses meant low crop prices and dwindling income. All of a sudden, Henry Ford's best customers - American farmers - could no longer afford his cars, trucks and tractors. Ford knew that "If we want the farmer to be our customer, we must find a way to be his." Figure out a way to use agricultural productsin industrial manufacturing, and everyone would benefit. He put his chemists to work determining what products could be developed from plants. After testing numerous crop plants, they narrowed their focus to soybeans. Experimentation was soon rewarded with the discovery of soybean oil which made a superior auto body enamel. Soybean meal was converted to plastic used to make over 20 parts including horn buttons and gearshift knobs. By 1936, Ford was using a bushel of soybeans in every car that rolled off the line. But Henry Ford didn't stop there. While his chefs developed a variety of tasty and nutritious American-style foods from soy (including ice cream) Henry invented soybean "wool", a fiber half the cost of sheeps wool. Soon a fabric containing 25% soybean wool was being used to upholster many Ford autos. And on special media occasions Mr. Ford would sport a suit made of soybean fiber."

I'm assuming this is all correct else a large company like Ford would force such information to be removed. I did note a warning on the container as follows: NOT TO BE USED AS INFANT FORMULA.

I had heard in the past that soybean milk is not a replacement for regular milk for young babies. In fact it can cause some serious health problems (don't recall the details). If anyone has info on this I'd be interested. But if it isn't good for infants, is it really that good for adults?

Also, while I'm at it (not related to soy milk) but have you ever tried rice milk? or rice dream? (ice cream made from rice milk). It is awful (IMHO) and leaves a very bad aftertaste. My soy milk isn't bad, but the rice milk products I've had are awful. Also, I remember having a soy burger once that also tasted awful. Usually vegeburgers are just like fallafal (a stuffing). But the one's I've had made of soy were bad. And soy cheese ain't that hot either. Ok, enough of my bashing on soy products Posted Image Anyone like them Posted Image

Gauracandra

Being unable to digest cow's milk - I use soy milk. It is a developed taste for the most part and I really do like it and enjoy having a tall glass ice cold. As for soy cheese - it makes me gag!! literally. Soy burgers are good if made with nice spices but avoid most commericial brands because they use egg and onions. Mostly I stick to just the soy milk and use it also as a milk replacement in reciepes. It is high in protein and low in cholesteral. The high protein count might be what is bad for the infants - not sure.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Ok, enough of my bashing on soy products Posted Image Anyone like them Posted Image

Gauracandra

This is funny but I haven't stopped drinking this soy milk all day. I bought it yesterday, and easily have consumed 1 gallon of soy milk in the last day. I'm just chugging it down. Every hour or so I just pour me a couple of glasses and drink it down.

Maybe its addicting. But at first I didn't think a whole lot of it. They say the body can tell what it needs (nutritionally) and often will develop a craving to satisfy it. Anyways, I'm quite enjoying my soy milk right now Posted Image glug, glug, glug.... Posted Image

Gauracandra

This is funny but I haven't stopped drinking this soy milk all day. I bought it yesterday, and easily have consumed 1 gallon of soy milk in the last day. I'm just chugging it down. Every hour or so I just pour me a couple of glasses and drink it down.

Maybe its addicting. But at first I didn't think a whole lot of it. They say the body can tell what it needs (nutritionally) and often will develop a craving to satisfy it. Anyways, I'm quite enjoying my soy milk right now Posted Image glug, glug, glug.... Posted Image

Gauracandra

No! Gauracandra,

I hate to break your dream my good man,

Could it be you just forgot you drank the last bit, and then later discovered how much you drank?

I saw a documentary on TV once upon a day. Its focus was the research into the affects of soy-tofu on older men.

The results of the research showed that if men eat tofu at least 3 times/week in their younger years they struggle with memory loss in old age.

"They say the body can tell what it needs (nutritionally) and often will develop a craving to satisfy it".

Is your body telling you you need to forget? Are you drowning out your memories? Or could it be you are drinking some super soy with increased benefits, modified outcomes and of course some added bonus? Humm??

[This message has been edited by suryaz (edited 12-10-2001).]

I am wary of soy products. Here is a link to an article on the dangers of soy products. I used to have bookmarked a more extensive site on it, that was originally referenced by Vaikunanath Kaviraj. But I forgot the contents so need to be re-convinced.

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/soydangers.html

Having said that, my daughter likes using tofu. I used to use Creamy Original soymilk, which was more of the consistency of whole cow's milk, when I could not have any milk products at all. I still will keep a box on the shelf for emergencies. And Bocaburger Vegan Original are good tasting as far as soyburgers. But you can make soyburgers out of so many things: mashed chickpeas with grated cabbage and carrots, with spices; curd with oats and maybe beans too, and sesame seeds; basically whatever you can get to stick together in patties, and saute.

The best soymilk was what I made myself, blending the soaked beans then boiling them and straining, then add a wee bit of honey and salt. The first taste, of still-warm soymilk, is delicious.

Aren't soybeans one of the beans that are considered to be too high in protein for devotees or Brahmacaris or something?

Thanks for the info guys (or gals as the case may be). I think I recall that the issue with using soy milk with children did have to do with the development of memory tissues in the brain. Basically milk has good fatty proteins that help the brain, synapses etc.... and that soy milk did not assist in proper development. Now you are telling me that the effects might continue even after growing up. Very odd. I'll look into it a bit more.

Gauracandra

Originally posted by JRdd:

I am wary of soy products. Here is a link to an article on the dangers of soy products. ...........

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/soydangers.html

This is a very appropriate and interesting link.

I am not a great FAN of soya either

despite being dietetically a vegan for nearly 30 years now as I am not able to

tolerate dairy.

This is not due to some cerebral reckoning

but my own experience in a therapeutic dietary context.

I also note that Dr Max Gerson, who promoted a Potassium rich, low fat, predominantly fruit and vegetable based diet for cancer cure specifically prohibited the soya bean on account of its high fat content (along with nuts etc).

Most dried pulses such as beans and lentils

have a low percentage of fat 4% for chick peas, less than 3% for the others. However soya beans are 17% and while most of this is unsaturated, it must be remebered that it will undergo cooking. Latest research tends to show that the the heating of unsaturated fats renders them carcinogenic.

references:

Dr Max Gerson - A Cancer Therapy: Results of Fifty Cases

Totality Books Publishers

PO Box 1035, Del Mar, California.

Ford Heritage - Composition and Facts About Foods

Republished by Special permission of the author by

Health Research, PO Box 70, Mokelumne Hill, California 95245

Udo Erasmus - Fats that Heal Fats that Kill the complete guide to fats, oils, cholestrol and human health

ISBN 0-920470-38-6

Alive Books, 7436 Fraser Park Drive,

Burnaby BC Canada

Even so my wife loves the tofu mousse

I make for her in summer:

Vitamise (blenderise) a hunk of tofu (200 grams)

with a Hanuman handful of any dried fruit of choice OR a dollop of HONEY

with the juice of one orange

and

a Hanuman handful of some fruit in season

like MANGOES

(some cardamoms or vanilla bean may be blended in also)

Plop into dishes and garnish with some sliced fruit

Put in freezer for 1.5 hours

(experimentation allowed)

and Presto:

Talasiga's Tofu Mousse !

Now you are telling me that the effects might continue even after growing up. Very odd. I'll look into it a bit more.

Gauracandra

Humm! Yes, the research subjects were older Japanese men

Talasiga's tofu mousse makes me want to take up tofu.

Posted Image

(Does that smilie look embarressed to anyone else? They had a better one before. This one looks like it's in ecstacy. Oh, so it fits either way. Your choice.)

Originally posted by JRdd:

(Does that smilie look embarressed to anyone else? They had a better one before. This one looks like it's in ecstacy. Oh, so it fits either way. Your choice.)

Posted Image

looks like someone

ate too much tofu

revamp:

looks like some<u>thing</u>

ate too much tofu

Today at Queens Health Emporium, West Soy Low Fat was on sale.

Only 99 cents/quart so 'naturally' I bought 10:

5 Plain, 5 Vanilla.

Soy is very important.

Soy is especially essential South of Texas.

Without soy, the whole Spanish language falls apart.

No one can be anyone or anything, at least not the speaker.

I've been using an electric kefir maker available from Teldon, Canada with soymilk. Kefir is like yogurt, but not as thick (electric maker not essential). However, it can be drained to make a kind of cream cheese.

The culture consists of tiny grains that last indefinitely. Room temperature or a bit more than 100 degrees F. is fine and sterilization of containers is not so important as it is with yogurt. Natural or 'original' flavour must be used and certain brands work better than others. Vitasoy or Soydream is good. My favourite is So Nice Original (Canadian).

The grains are contained in a little plastic container that floats on the surface of the milk. They must be kept with the milk in the fridge when not in use. Once used with Soy, the same culture cannot be used for dairy milk, and vice versa. Kefir soymilk is more easily digested than regular and has similar benefits to yogurt cultured dairy.

[This message has been edited by valaya (edited 01-08-2002).]