IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Eating mangos during the summer and boils...

Rate this topic

Ok, this is going to sound abit odd, but I have friend who told me that if you eat too many mangos in the summer in India, that this is a major cause for boils. Is this true? It just seems very odd that this would occur. Is it that parasites exist in the mangos, and so during the summer they can infect? Anyone with experience of this?

Gauracandra

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Ok, this is going to sound abit odd, but I have friend who told me that if you eat too many mangos in the summer in India, that this is a major cause for boils. Is this true? It just seems very odd that this would occur. Is it that parasites exist in the mangos, and so during the summer they can infect? Anyone with experience of this?

Gauracandra

Australia is just as hot in summer (in some places) as India is. Mangos grow well. In places farmers place large amounts of mangos among other fruits on 'honesty box stands" by the edge of their properties. People can take the fruit and leave some money in the honesty box. As such mangos are plentiful and cheap to purchase, however the staff infection rate is low here. I fear catching boils in India (as with anywhere else in the world)has more to do with lack of hygiene than anything else.

[This message has been edited by suryaz (edited 11-08-2001).]

Hopefully you will get credz for this one...

One of the economic professors nvr listened to my theories. THis time he is screwed.

DEMAND

a. The ''desire to possess a commodity or make use of a service, combined with the ability to purchase it. b. The amount of a commodity or service that people are ready to buy for a given price...

Supply

The amount of a commodity available for purchase at a given price /or for /\ meeting demandz.

WHen these to meet in the world. We have what we call a market-equilibrium. The point of intersection in the demand of the supply and the supply of the demand is a market-price technicly.

LAW of SUPPLIED DEMAND equilibria:

The Theory:

1. AN increase in supply levels the demand.

THE-PROOF:

a. An increase in supply raises (NOT decrease) the market equilibria 'price' (bhattacarya-patels' law of SUPPLY & DEMAND).

b. The actual supply causes the demand to be leveled because of (due to) the perceived increase in supply.

b1. A perceived increase in supply causes the mating-instinct (1/34 instincts) to decrease purchases (amt. commodity people are ready to buy).

b1A. THe mating instinct is a bio-chemical synthesis of ...cntd:

----

AJAY SHAH former STUDENT of UTA in EE and transferreed to PRE-CS. Took ECO 304k with A professor who looks like Robin Will...! He did a good job of teaching him instinticly of course.

[This message has been edited by Caitanyachandra (edited 11-09-2001).]

In Mayapur during summer time most of the devotees got boils because of eating food that overheat their bodies. Mangos are so sweet and cheap that everybody ate tons of them, especially the gurukulis (they got them for free from the mango groves in the gurukula) and they got the most horrible boils that I ever saw. Boils with 6 heads on the knees, boils in the armpit, that devotee couldn't put down his arm, boils in the back side (they could't seat). I never got boils in India, we always put the mangos in the fridge or cool water before eating them (not so much electricity in Mayapur) and drank lots of green mango juice that it is very cooling.

Came here and got this boil in my stomach that I still got the scar to show, and no, I didn't eat any mangos here, my guess is that you get boils because your body is overheated and try to get rid of the toxins and impurities in the form of boils.

Yeah, that's basically the reason. It has nothing to do with lack of hygiene, but with too much heat in the body. I don't know if this is something accepted by western medicine (I never looked into it), but it is understood in Ayurveda. One is supposed to soak the mango in milk first to remove some of the heat causing properties, but no one wastes time with that! When they are so cheap (free!) and sweet, who will waste time.

Even if you don't eat mangos you are pretty likely to get some boils in the summer.

Here is something I found:

Boils: An Ayurvedic Approach

A boil is a painful, pus-filled inflammation of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. According to Ayurveda, a holistic system of medicine that dates back over 5000 years, boils can have many causes, including:

Constipation

Toxins in the liver

High blood sugar

Excess pitta or heat in the blood

There are several herbal remedies that have been used for centuries to treat boils and to promote healthy skin. The powder of neem leaf can be mixed with a little warm water to make a paste that can be applied directly to the boil. Neem is energetically cooling and naturally antibacterial. It removes heat from the body helping to soothe inflammations while promoting the healing process. To bring a boil to a head, a paste of ginger and turmeric can be applied.

Internally herbs can be taken to help address the underlying causes of boils. Regular bowel moments are an important factor in maintaining health. Ayurveda defines constipation as failure to evacuate the bowels within one hour of rising. For those prone to constipation, Triphala helps detoxify the G.I. tract and gently promotes regularity.

Bitter herbs such as neem, manjista, and turmeric remove excess heat from the body and help detoxify the blood and liver. If high blood sugar is the cause of boils, herbs such as shardunika, turmeric, and guduchi can be used to support healthy blood glucose levels and to promote proper function of the pancreas.

Source: The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies by Dr. Vasant Lad

From what I've read it appears that the body produces a natural toxin in the blood. When this toxin becomes too strong boils start to form especially around lymph nodes (armpits, groin etc....) So perhaps internal body heat causes an excess of this natural toxin to form. I'm guessing from an Ayurvedic perspective milk works to counteract the heat qualities of certain foods, and thus prevent the excess production of this toxin.

Gauracandra

From what I've found Ayurveda seems to find that skin diseases are due to an excess of pitta or body heat. Here are just some more information that I've come across:

Each element by its inherent property, joins with that which is a part of the body. If to much of one element is ingested by a person who already has that element in a sufficient quantity by inheritance, an imbalance can manifest. For example, if a person who has more of the Pitta dosha (fire) eats spicy, sour or to salty foods (which increase heat in the body,) disturbances related to the fire element can manifest. The mind can be afflicted by anger, aggression, impatience, stress, and egotism, and the body can get disturbances like toxic blood, fever, infections, cancer, skin diseases, boils, liver problems and acid indigestion etc. By eating foods and Ayurvedic Rasayanas which have a cooling effect on body and mind, the fire element or heat will be reduced to normal.

All food contains the five elements in different proportions, and when ingested, these affect our elemental balance in a positive or negative way. For example, if a person who has more of the fire element, eats spicy, sour or too salty foods. Disturbances related to the fire element can manifest. Thus, the mind can be afflicted by anger, aggression, and impatience. Fever, ifections, cancer, skin diseases, boils, liver problems and hyperacidity can affect the body.

SPECIFIC TREATMENT (for skin diseases): PITTA should follow anti-PITTA diet avoiding possible allergen foods such as nightshades, tomatoes, peaches, and strawberries, as well as sour products. Coconut juice is good, as is cilantro. Exposure sun

and heat should be avoided, but he doesn't needs AC. The best oils for external application for gentle! massage are coconut, or aloe gel. Brahmi or Bhringaraj oil or the herbs in decoction are good for rashes on the head, neck and face. Most typical alteratives, like burdock or red clover, are good. Bitter laxatives, rhubarb or aloe, are helpful. DIET: Pitta (fire) types require diet is cool, slightly dry and little heavy. The effects of wrong diet may manifest more through toxic blood and infection diseases than

through simple digestive upset. Tastes that decrease Pitta are sweet, bitter and stringent. It is increased by sour, salty and pungent. Sharp or strong tastes increase Pitta; mild or bland tastes decrease it.

By the way, I've been told that "bitter mellon" is very good for detoxifying blood. Personally I don't like this stuff much. Though I have been told it was one of Srila Prabhupadas favorites.

Gauracandra

In Orissa, Bitter mellon is usually taken deep fried (sliced like round chips). Personally I don't like it, but one devotee from Kerala used to make raw bitter mellon, sliced and soaked in lemon juice. It was very good, it wasn't so bitter. It must have been soaked for many hours, because the lemon taste was deep inside it.

Another way to take bitter out is to salt the slices, and let sit for about an hour. Then rinse off the salt, pat the slices dry, and fry. Prepared this way, both my daughter and I gobble it up like it is simply wonderfuls.

I love bitter melon, I'm better than a Bengali in eating them. Karela subji or just fry and salted they are like simply wonderfuls for me too. What about neem subji? During prasadam time all the bengalis ate it like nectar, I ate it because I knew was good for health and that's it. Later on I got used to eat neem leaves after prasada for a better digestion and to purify the blood. Hardly any mosquitos attacked me after neem leaves for dessert. Posted Image

Originally posted by suryaz:

As if boils could come from eating mangos in the summer ???????????

As a seasonal fruitarian for over 30 years with some considerable experiences in healing

and mitigation of the effects of serious illnesses

with the application of dietary healing and other natural

complementary systems, I would be inclined to view

any such effects from the eating of mangoes as a cleansing

crisis triggered by the healing potency of the fruit.

The systematic application of a natural cleansing regime

would be likely to cleanse such a body to an extent

that the mango would no longer trigger such a cleansing crisis.

When I was a child in tropical Fiji Islands

we had several

mango trees in our urban backyard which bore munificiently.

Also my mother's relatives would bring us bags of mangoes

from their farm. Naturally we gorged ourselves with the fruits.

None of us got boils.

However it was noticeable that children who usually ate little fruit

and whose diets were heavily dependent on rice and other starchy foods, excessively salty accompaniments

and oily foods tended to get tropical ulcers more consistently than others.

In summer when I am eating mostly fruits

I often enjoy raw bitter melon vitamised (blenderised) with tomato, origano, mint and lemon juice. Another simple but delicious way is to steam slices in water and douse with lemon juice before serving - no frying, no salt.

For people who aren't into some strict natural dietary regime

I would suggest this as a guideline (and not a rule):

1. don't mix raw juicy fruits (Satvic) with cooked foods (Tamasic).

2. eat such fruits on an empty stomach especially breakfast at least 30 minutes after your morning glass of water.

3. can be eaten with some raw nuts and/or good live yoghourt/laban etc if one can tolerate dairy. Never with anything starchy albeit raw (eg rolled oats etc).

Bitter mellon I don't like. Sorry, but I have yet to find someone who can make it "right". Same with Okra - gag me Posted Image People always tell me "Oh no, you just haven't had the right person make okra for you. If it is cooked properly it is delicious". Sorry, but I have yet to take a liking to okra or bitter mellon. Though I'm sure they are both good for you - all BAD tasting things are Posted Image

Gauracandra

Guest guest

Getting boils from mangos has nothing to do with hygene. I get boils from climbing a mango tree if it is in flower. If I eat a mango I do not sit for a week. My Mother has the same reaction to the fruit and the rest of my family have no reaction at all. She cannot even peel a mangoe without being affected.

It would seem from the variety of responses that while we may try to trace the origin of various physical maladies ultimately sickness of any kind is bottom line a karmic event. I will not assert that certain afflictions are no question associated with certain behaviors nevertheless it is not absolutely catagorical.

As a child I knew an old man who was fond of bragging that he had smoked cigarettes since he was a teenager and drank large amounts of hard liquor his entire life and despite his toxic life style he never suffered the results one usually associates with such behavior, i.e. cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, ect. Meanwhile Andy Kaufmann the comedian died of lung cancer despite having never smoked.

It is the banyan tree of action and reaction which can never really be specifically resolved.