IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Katwoman973

Looking for help with Hindu services

Rate this topic

I attended my first service at a Hindu Temple today, and felt COMPLETELY out of place. I was praying that I didn't do something disrespectful out of ignorance of "custom". Does anyone have suggestions for a good book that I can pick up that gives the details on different services, what they are for, and how one should act (or what one should do) during a service? I enjoyed the experience, and the people were exteremely nice, but I'd like to be better prepared next time I go so I can be more fully a part of the services.

Katwoman,

The book you want is called "The Nectar of Devotion" (Bhakti-Rasamrita-Sindhu) by Srila Rupa Goswami translated into English by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

It can be found likely in an ISKCON centre or over the internet from http://16rounds.com for $13.

There is no more glorious path than that upon which you are about to traverse. Life will never be the same for you. Welcome to the miraculous.

Batman

------------------

Gary Stevason

Seeking the Kingdom of God

[This message has been edited by gHari (edited 07-19-2002).]

Originally posted by Katwoman973:

I attended my first service at a Hindu Temple today, and felt COMPLETELY out of place. I was praying that I didn't do something disrespectful out of ignorance of "custom". Does anyone have suggestions for a good book that I can pick up that gives the details on different services, what they are for, and how one should act (or what one should do) during a service? I enjoyed the experience, and the people were exteremely nice, but I'd like to be better prepared next time I go so I can be more fully a part of the services.

Please get more information from these websites and book.

HINDUISM, THE WORLD'S OLDEST RELIGION

A SIMPLE INTRODUCTION TO A COMPLEX RELIGION

http://www.geocities.com/athens/forum/9410/hindu1.html

Posted Image

http://www.amiahindu.com/

Here is some generic advice. I don't know what sort of Hindu service or tradition you attended, but I think the following is fairly safe:

1) Never accept or give anything with your left hand. For instance, the priest might give you some food offered to the deity. Accept this with your right hand. If you give a donation, give with your right hand.

2) If you enter the temple room, it can't hurt to bow down on the floor.

3) Dress modestly.

4) If a ghee lamp (flame) comes around it is expected that you run your hands over it gently and then place your palms to your forehead. I've seen many new comers to temples when the flame is brought to them, not to know what to do.

5) If the priest brings out a bowl with some liquid in it, and starts to laddle it out with a small spoon, extend your right hand outwards, and with palm up, make a simple cup. Accept the liquid, and then drink it from your palm. The remaining water dropplets you can sprinkle on your head.

6) It can't hurt just to keep your head slightly lowered, and hands loosely clasped. Just being reverential.

7) When approaching the deity, be very respectful. The priest may place momentarily a silver "crown" like object on your head as a blessing. Just bow your head and allow him to place it.

These are pretty simple things. I know it can be a bit unnerving when entering another person's tradition. I remember when I first went to a Sikh temple, I didn't realize you had to have your head covered at all times. Luckily I had a hood sweatshirt.

And don't forget to wash your hands after eating or being in contact with impure items before touching anything in the temple (except the tap for washing hands of course).

When they sing, clap your hands with the others in front of the Deities. Sins fly away like birds when you clap. In the temple, remember God and do not forget Him. This will maximize your benefit in visiting a holy place.

I just wanted to thank you all for your help and advice. Especially the list of "generic" guidelines. I was completely clueless when they brought around the liquid! Luckily there were a couple of people before me so I was able to watch them.

I also realized I forgot to add my name to my first post!

Again, thank you, and I will be investigating all books and websites.

Namaste,

Kenyatta

Originally posted by raga:

And don't forget to wash your hands after eating or being in contact with impure items before touching anything in the temple (except the tap for washing hands of course).

Also remember to bathe before going to the temple. It is important to do this always after evacuating. The toilet room and the acts associated with it are considered unclean, and one must bathe after using it.

yours

K

Here are a few others I've thought of. Some temples will have a little place in front to wash your feet. You can wash you feet before heading into the temple. But when leaving the temple do not wash your feet. You do it going in to clean your feet of any dirt, but what ever comes from the temple once in should not be washed off.

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Here are a few others I've thought of. Some temples will have a little place in front to wash your feet. You can wash you feet before heading into the temple. But when leaving the temple do not wash your feet. You do it going in to clean your feet of any dirt, but what ever comes from the temple once in should not be washed off.

Actually, this custom (of washing one's feet before entering) was also the norm before entering a Hindu household. It makes perfect sense, which is unfortunate given that few people seem to do it anymore.

------------------

Achintya Beda Abeda Mailing List

www.achintya.org