IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Avinash

Monotheism vs Polytheism: Islam vs Hinduism

Rate this topic

Muslims call Hinduism as polytheism because there are so many gods in Hinduism. They call Islam as monothiems because there is one God (Allah) in Islam. But Muslims believe in the presence of many angels. If the presence of many gods means polytheism, then how can the presence of many angels mean monotheism?

Can fayarus comment?

Guest guest

WELL...WELL...WELL...IT WAS ASTONISHING TO READ SUCH A COMMENT...

IF YOU HAVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST KNOWLEDGE ABOUT ISLAM OR MONOTHIESM..THEN YOU'LL KNOW THAT ISLAM DOESN'T ASSOCIATE ANYONE WITH ALLAH..ANGELS ARE THERE TO WORSHIP ALLAH EVEN THEY CAN'T BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE MOST POWERFUL.

WHEREAS IN HINDUISM ..THERE ARE SEVERAL "gods"..

I ASK YOU IS THERE ANY RELIGION THAT HAS SO MANY gods AS THERE ARE IN HINDUISM?

NO OTHER RELIGION SAYS THAT A CERTAIN ANIMAL IS VERY SACRED AND IS TRETED LIKE GOD..BUT HINDUISM DOES SO...COW IS SACRED, MONKEYS ARE THERE AS "HANUMAN", ELEPHANTS ARE THERE AS GANESH...

DOESN'T THIS ALL SOUND RIDICULOUS TO YOU..

THE TRUTH IS..HINDUISM ISN'T A RELIGION AT ALL...IT IS MAN MADE. NO OTHER RELIGION IS LIKE HINDUISM , WHETHER IT BE ISLAM,CHRISTIANITY,JEWIDSM.

I REPEAT AGAIN ANGELS ARE THERE TO WORSHIP AND TO SERVE HUMANS. THEY CAN'T BE ASSOCIATED TO ALLAH.

BETTER TRY FINDING OUT THE TRUTH BEFORE IMPOSING ANY QUESTION.

I find it really funny to find that you accuse me of something of which your are guilty, not I. I did not write anywhere that Islam equates angels with Allah. As you have written, angels also have to worship Allah. If you read posts by many members of this site, you will find that they believe in many gods but they do not believe that any of these gods can be equated to Krsna whom they call as supreme. So, if many angels and one Allah is monotheism, then why is it that many gods and one Krsna is polytheism?

ASK YOU IS THERE ANY RELIGION THAT HAS SO MANY gods AS THERE ARE IN HINDUISM?

I agree that I do not know of any religion which has as many gods as in Hinduism. But why is it impossible to have many gods?

NO OTHER RELIGION SAYS THAT A CERTAIN ANIMAL IS VERY SACRED AND IS TRETED LIKE GOD..BUT HINDUISM DOES SO...COW IS SACRED

You are displaying your ignorance. There is a big difference between considering some creature as sacred and equating it to God. Cows are sacred. That does not mean that Cows are considered equal to God.

MONKEYS ARE THERE AS "HANUMAN", ELEPHANTS ARE THERE AS GANESH...

Again, you are displaying your ignorance. It is not that all monkeys are considered as Hanuman or that all elephants are considered as Ganesh. Hanuman was a being whose face was like that of a monkey. Ganesh is a god whose face is like that of an elephant.

DOESN'T THIS ALL SOUND RIDICULOUS TO YOU..

Depends on what you want to see. I can find ridiculous things in all religions.

THE TRUTH IS..HINDUISM ISN'T A RELIGION AT ALL...IT IS MAN MADE. NO OTHER RELIGION IS LIKE HINDUISM , WHETHER IT BE ISLAM,CHRISTIANITY,JEWIDSM.

On what basis can you say that Islam is not man-made?

BETTER TRY FINDING OUT THE TRUTH BEFORE IMPOSING ANY QUESTION.

I posted the question after reading Quran. But you have made your post without trying to find the truth.

you see in Islam, there is one and only Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being and he is called allah...

In Islam, you have to worship this being in no form, he is supposed to be this leader who is supposed to be your sole maintainer. he punishes the bad and destroys evil blah blah blah.

now don't disagree on this people because if you do, then well duh, you don't know about islam at all.

On the other hand, In Hinduism, there is one and only Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being. You cannot even grasp the magnificence of this being in your mind, because she or he is so complex. So, to make things simple, the hindus basically worship her (or him) in the way they like because he is not only your sole maintainer, but also your lover and comes in any form you want to respect him in.

Some people want to respect the god as hanuman, who tends to be in the form of a monkey. The others worship him as a wise elephant form god and others worship him as a wonderful rama , krishna, Laxmi, Durga, Shakthi, blah blah blah.

So, this reveals your ignorance dear guest, so don't make any type of accusation without any conformation. /images/graemlins/grin.gif .

-sudszy /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guest guest

"ANGELS ARE THERE TO WORSHIP ALLAH EVEN THEY CAN'T BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE MOST POWERFUL.

WHEREAS IN HINDUISM ..THERE ARE SEVERAL "gods".."

Blah. The devas (so-called "demigods") of "Hinduism" pay homeage to Krishna and His avatara (Vishnu, etc), much in the same way that these angels worship Allah. See how Sri Brahma worships Krishna in Sri Brahma Samhita. Read seventh canto of Srimad Bhagavatam and see how all the demigods came together to worship Krishna in the form of the half-lion Lord Narasimhadeva.

And before you say these different forms of Krishna are different "gods", well let's look at your religion for a moment. God of Islam has at least 99 seperate names. It is well established in most religions that name is equal to God, so by your logic, friend, Allah is actually 99 seperate gods.

And if I want to go further, let's look at the name "Allah". In the Arabic polytheistic religion, Allah was the moon God. And what is the popular symbol of Islam, usually emblazoned upon green flags?

Need I say more?

Before you bash Hinduism, take a look at your own beliefs, OBJECTIVELY.

I'm not bashing Islam, I actually believe it's a bonefide way to worship God, and our saint Srila Haridas Thakur was born Muslim, but I'm just telling you that by pointing at Hinduism and seeing "flaws", you also indirectly point at "flaws" in your own religion.

Guest guest

HMMM...YOU ASKED ME TO PROVE ISLAM AS A GOD MADE RELIGION..

LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THESE FACTS..

1)ISLAM PROVED ALOT MANY THINGS 1400 YEARS BACK..WHICH ARE NOW DISCOVERED BY SCIENCE.

FOR EXAMPLE.. IT SAYS "THE WORLD ISN'T FLAT, IT IS ROUND". OR THAT IRON WASN'T A PART OF THE EARTH "WE" SENT IT. THE SCIENCE NOW PROVES THAT IRON WAS BROUGHT BY MATEORES ON EARTH, IT WASN'T A PART OF IT.

THERE ARE ALOT MANY EXAMPLES. PERHAPS YOU CAN FIND THEM THROUGH A SEARCH ENGINE.

2) YOU SAID, YOU CAN FIND RIDICULOUS THINGS IN ANY RELIGION, WELL TRY FINDING OUT SOME IN YOURS. YOU'LL SURELY LAUGH. MY MOTIVE IS NOT TO BASH HINDUISM. THE ONLY THING IS I NEVER UNDERSTODD, WHY DO YOU NEED TO WORDHIP..I REPEAT "WORSHIP" SO MANY gods, WHEN YOU SAY YOU HAVE JUST ONE SUPREME BIENG.."KRISHNA".

3) YOU SAID YOU'V READ "QURAN".. WELL IF YOU HAVE READ IT THEN YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY OBJECTIONS NOW. AS THE MODERN SCIENCE IS STILL RESEARCHING ON QURAN BECAUSE OF THE VAST KNOWLEDGE IT GIVES.

4) IF YOU TAKE ANY MAJOR RELIGION OF THE WORLD. YOU'LL FIND THAT NO RELIGION TAKES "ANIMALS" TO BE SACRED. TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, IT WAS ONE OF THE EARLY BELIEFS OF THE DIS BELIEVERS, WHO USED TO WORSHIP ANIMALS.

5)ONE MORE THING... I ONLY WANT TO KNOW..WHEN YOU SAY THAT THERE IS A SUPREME BIENG...krishna" .. and THE OTHERS TOO PAID HOMAGE TO HIM. THEN WHY DO YOU PEOPLE WORHIP THE "OTHERS" LIKE HANUMAN, GANESH, AND EVEN KAALI.... NOW AS FAR AS I KNOW..KAALI USED TO SEDUCE HER LOVER AND THEN KILL HIM... WELL gods don't do this ,,do they?

6) WOULD YOU MIND PROVING THAT HINDUISM IS GOD MADE.. AND THAT IT IS FOR THE WHOLE HUMANITY. WELL..BEFORE DOING SO ..TAKE A LOOK AT OTHER MAJOR RELIGIONS WHICH ARE FOR THE WHOLE HUMANITY.

SEE YA THEN...

My dear spirit soul,

Please accept my humble obeisances. All glories to Srila Prabhupada.

You wrote "Why do you need to worship...I repeat"worship" so many gods, when you say you have just one supreme being...Krsna?"

As a gaudiya vaisnava I must say that we do not worship many gods. We worship Lord Krsna. Yes, we honor and show great respect to great deings as Lord Siva, Lord Brahma, and Hanuman not because we think them God but because they are very advanced devotees and representatives of Lord Krsna. We do not worship then in the temple. The Lord said one who claims to be My devotee is not My devotee but, the one who claims to be the devotee of My devotee he is My devotee.

There is only one God, Allah, and Muhammed is His prophet, right? You show much respect to Muhammed because he is a pure devotee of Allah. So vaisnavas show great respect Lord Siva, Hanuman, and also Muhammed and Lord Jesus Christ because they are pure devotees of the Lord. Whether He is called Allah or Krsna, God is one.

thank you.

Your servant,

Narayani d.d.

Guest guest

I worship Shree Ganesh for he removes all the obstacle in

my spritual progress.

Hindus worships cows and even plants out of respect appreciation and compession which is beyond your Islamic understanding.For you can not even respect the human life as you concider to kill a kafir as no sin.

May the all merciful Lord give you the understanding.

Peace be upon you.

Jai Shree HARI.

Jai Shree Krishna

Hare Krsna ,

Your understanding of hinduism is very poor.This is not your fault as you have been exposed only to islam .

Please read this article...

http://krishna.org/Articles/2000/10/00147.html

you are attracted to the impersonal form of god but if you know that god has a form wouldnt you be happy.

This is not the time to argue about religion.See the world around you.The world is degraded with war and terrorism with

no respect for human life.All due to ignorance.

Ask yourself what is the purpose of my life...my existance.

Dont waste time trying to prove whether islam is perfect or hinduism is.This has been going on for centuries.Ask yourself if can seek god.Love god not religion.

You will find the answers...in krsna conciousness.

Srinivas.

1)ISLAM PROVED ALOT MANY THINGS 1400 YEARS BACK..WHICH ARE NOW DISCOVERED BY SCIENCE.

There was a Muslim poster here with username fayarus. He gave a few verses from Quran to claim that Quran contains many scientific facts which are being found by science now. But I found that he was forcibly trying to interprete the verses to show that they were scientific. I gave my arguments to him. He could not offer any reply. He just kept on making assertions. I will find the thread and post the link here.

I will reply to the rest of your post after some time.

ISLAM IT SAYS "THE WORLD ISN'T FLAT, IT IS ROUND".

Where is it written in Quran? Just tell me the verse no.

THAT IRON WASN'T A PART OF THE EARTH "WE" SENT IT. THE SCIENCE NOW PROVES THAT IRON WAS BROUGHT BY MATEORES ON EARTH, IT WASN'T A PART OF IT.

Regarding iron, I could find the following in Quran: -

"We sent our messengers supported by clear proofs, and we sent down to them the scripture and the law, that the people may uphold justice. And we sent down the iron, wherein there is strength, and many benefits for the people. All this in order for GOD to distinguish those who would support Him and His messengers, on faith. GOD is powerful, Almighty."

The verse simply says that iron was given by God and that it is very useful to mankind. It does not say that it came to Earth via meteorites. Do you mean to say that those things which were there on Earth even before the first meteorite hit the Earth are not God-given? Then how does the statement that iron was given by God is equivalent to the statement that iron came to Earth from meteorites?

Another important point. You are wrong in saying that Science has proved that iron did not exist on Earth before and that it came via meteories. Science does say that most of iron on Earth has come via meteories. But it is not that there was no iron before the first meteorite hit the Earth. Iron existed earlier also. Then more iron was added by meteorites. If there was no iron before, then what was the initial Earth made up of?

THERE ARE ALOT MANY EXAMPLES. PERHAPS YOU CAN FIND THEM THROUGH A SEARCH ENGINE.

If I use a search engine to find information on Quran, then I will find many pro-Islam sites and also many anti-Islam sites. So, I prefer to read Quran rather than use search engines.

YOU SAID, YOU CAN FIND RIDICULOUS THINGS IN ANY RELIGION, WELL TRY FINDING OUT SOME IN YOURS. YOU'LL SURELY LAUGH.

This is an assertion with no proof. I can simply say that you should try finding ridiculous things in Quran; you will simply laugh. Should this statement be considered as proof that Islam is ridiculous? No, it is not a proof. It is simply an assertion with no proof. Likewise, your statement also is an assertion with no proof.

YOU SAID YOU'V READ "QURAN".. WELL IF YOU HAVE READ IT THEN YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY OBJECTIONS NOW. AS THE MODERN SCIENCE IS STILL RESEARCHING ON QURAN BECAUSE OF THE VAST KNOWLEDGE IT GIVES.

Who are the scientists who believe that Quran contains scientific facts which were not known to scientists when Quran was written?

IF YOU TAKE ANY MAJOR RELIGION OF THE WORLD. YOU'LL FIND THAT NO RELIGION TAKES "ANIMALS" TO BE SACRED.

Just because other religions differ from Hinduism, it does not prove that Hinduism is wrong. Why can't it be other way round?

TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH, IT WAS ONE OF THE EARLY BELIEFS OF THE DIS BELIEVERS, WHO USED TO WORSHIP ANIMALS.

What do you mean by did-believers? Are you talking about those who do not believe in Islam? If yes, then before saying that dis-believers are wrong, you must prove why Islam is right.

KAALI USED TO SEDUCE HER LOVER AND THEN KILL HIM

You wrote that I should try finding the truth. But you yourself are posting things from here and there. Which verse in Hindu scriptures says that Kali used to seduce her lover and then kill him? Have you found this in some anti-Hindu site? If yes, then let me tell you that there are many anti-Islam site also available.

WOULD YOU MIND PROVING THAT HINDUISM IS GOD MADE.. AND THAT IT IS FOR THE WHOLE HUMANITY.

When I asked you to prove that Islam is God-made, then you tried to prove that Quran has many scientific facts which are still being researched by scientists. But, as I have shown, you have intentionally interpreted a Quran verse to show that, according to the verse, iron came from meteorites. But, that does not directly follow from the verse.

I ask again. Who are the scientists who believe that Quran is very scientific? Do not just name those who are Muslims. Because it is highly likely (though not necessary) that they will be biased.

It is a fact that many scientists the world over have been and are still doing research on the scriptures of Hinduism. They have found many knowledgeable things. Many of these scientists are not Hindus. Many are even atheists. You must have heard of Vedic Mathematics. You also must have heard of Ayurveda. Unlike you, I simply did not take some verse and forcibly interpreted it to show that it is scientific.

WELL..BEFORE DOING SO ..TAKE A LOOK AT OTHER MAJOR RELIGIONS WHICH ARE FOR THE WHOLE HUMANITY.

Again, an assertion without proof.

Note: - When you want to have discussion on some religion, then you must have knowledge of that religion. And the web-sites which are anti-that religion are not good sources of information. Because you can find many anti-Islam sites also. But, definitely you will not agree with the contents of those sites. I have really read Quran. But, you are just pasting information on Hinduism from here and there.

As I have written, we can not claim that the verse 57.25 of Quran says that iron came to Earth from meteorites. It is just that it is your belief that iron came from meteorites, you are interpreting the verse to mean this.

But, you may say that this is quite obvious interpretation. If that is the case, then consider the following vers: -

"2:164. Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.

The verse says that God scatters beasts of all kinds through the Earth. If we interprete it to mean that, according to Quran, beasts on Earth come via meteories, then will you agree to such an interpretation? There are many other verses in Quran where it is written that God gave something on Earth. If you interprete the verses to mean that those things came via meteorites, then you will really find ridiculous things.

Then, how can you claim that the verse 57.25 must be interpreted to mean that iron came via meteorties? Or, are you talking about some other verse? Since you did not mention the verse no, I assumed a verse which I think you are referring to. If you are referring to some other verse, then tell me the verse no.

Guest guest

Looks like another hit and run poster. First there was TRUTH, and now Muslim "Guest." I know I'm being hypocritical, posting under the guest username, but why doesn't this forum require people to register first. I'm sure discussions would flow a lot smoother. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

As I have read in a few posts here, some participants are not able to login because of some technical problems. So, they have to post as guest. But I agree that there are also some who can register but still do not. It is always better to register if you can. Many people can post as "Guest". It is confusing to others. If, for some technical problem, you have to post as Guest, then always give your name at the end of your post. If you do not want to give your name, then write something at the end of all your posts so that others can understand that these posts are by the same person.

Now, how about you registering? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

The fact is simple that the hindus and muslims and Christians are all humans. If you argue one is god made and other is not , then it is your own ridiculous speculation.

The fact is , there are many ways to gain the supreme, but none are superior to others.

There are ridiculous things in many philosophies and religions , but lets try to understand all of them before trying to bash them .

In reality, it is the very false pride and blind belief that we have in these religions that cause such hypocrisy and idiotic bashing

I pity those who do so... oh my god, bell rang, i gotta go home!.

Later,

-enlightened.

Guest guest

well i was writing this paper for my religion class about the misconception of the role of god in hiduism. The varisous gods in hinduism are not gods as defined by other religiosn. they are mere dietes, idols,images. they are all differnt aspects of the one supereme reality /divinity /eternal truth called the Brahman (very very different from Brahma of the trimurty). The Brahman is truly omnipotent and omnipresent. if u really read the upanishads or atleast parts of it, u ll understand more about the nature of the brahman. it is something that is incomprehensible to a human being seeking a rational answer. hence the need to simplify it for the lay man. this simplification leads to the symbolism of dieties.

as for islam and angels i have no opinion

My dear soul,

Brahman is the impersonal aspect of Godhead. It is the enless efulgence of the Lord's personal aspect. (personalism vs. impersonalism is a whole other topic:)

Also you mentioned "deities, idols, and images" if you wouldn't mind, please read my post "Is deity worship idolatry" Srila Bhaktivinode Thakur very logically explains the difference between the two.

hope this helps,

Your servant,

Narayani d.d.

Guest guest

Enlightened stated "you see in Islam, there is one and only Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent being and he is called allah..."

I must disagree with this statement. In Islam, Allah is NOT Omnipotent, Omniscient or Omnipresent. Allah is not Omnipotent because He is not capable of taking a form. Sanatana Dharma believes that while God is formless, "He" is able to take a form.

Allah is not Omniscient because He is a very unreliable judge of character. While Hindus sages, satgurus and swamis are burning in His Hell, Allah is busy allowing Islamic terrorists into His paradise with virgins, rivers of wine and 72 types of food. The Islamic concept of God is incompatible with a merciful, benevolent God.

In Islam, Allah is certainly not Omnipresent. Muslims do not believe in pantheism or panentheism. They either believe that Allah is finite in space, or that Allah cannot be defined in space which makes Him a non-entity.

All religions lead to one supreme being. Whether that is Islam, Christianity, Hinduism etc. However, some religions like Islam need to change (ALOT!!!!) and some religions don't need to change that much like buddhism. In the end, we will see the truth, which will be the unity of the divine self in us with the divine self of Krishna... (thats what i call him, others call him rama, allah, 'God' whatever)

Every thing will be bliss from there on....

Guest guest

"All religions lead to one supreme being. Whether that is Islam, Christianity, Hinduism etc. "

per koran, Islam is meant to lead one to haven where one can enjoy sex with 72 virgins. How: by killing or converting kafirs.

The muslims and christians would not agree

with what you said above.

They will say only their religion will take one to god.

Hindus say it, but under misunderstanding.

the vedas says that all paths lead to the same god.

therefore hindus say islam also leads to god.

they forget that 'all paths' means the vedic paths, the paths that are mentioned in the vedas or gita.

islam is not mentioned in there.

knowing this, no hindu (hare krishnas included) should say

islam leads one to god also.

what is more correct to say is this:

all religions are meant to lead one to god.

some do lead, some dont. and islam does not.

how can any religion that causes many genocide on earth or cause total destruction of other cultures can lead one to god?

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

My dear souls,

In reply to, "How can any religion that causes many genocide on earth or causes total destruction or other cultures lead one to God?"

I most certainly do not claim to be an expert, but even from the small amount of reading I've done on other religions including; Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and some Native American shaminism I have come to the conclusion that the ESSENCE or CORE of most of these religions is to develope love for God and in doing so see all life with an equal eye.

What I have also discovered is that as soon as the human element is added these beautiful religions get corrupted and perverted.

A Catholic priest asked Srila Prabhupada whether he thought Krsna consciousness was the "one true path" and as a Catholic preist is he lost to the glory of God being a non-hindu. Srila Prabhupada replied that there are many paths to God. Being a Catholic he should follow Catholicism fully and purely. But most catholics don't. For example, the comandment Thou shalt not kill has been perverted so as not to include animals.

As infinately faliable creatures we humans have corrupted the paths to God with our desire to lord it over material nature.

Most religions have there good points. The reason I have stuck with Krsna consciousness is, of all other religions Krsna consciousness has scientifically answered all my questions and in describing the souls relationship with the Lord I haven't found any religion or culture that has as deep an understanding or has as intimate a description of the Lord and His pastimes. Basically deep down in my soul "It just feels right."

Your servant,

Narayani d.d.

Guest guest

You see, you have not grasped my idea clearly...lets take a look at an example:

Lets just say there is a kid who learns to add 1+2 in mathematics and all he says is 1+2=3 but he does not agree that 2+1=3.

The fact is that the kid does not realize in the above scenario that 2+1 is also equal to three. At the same time an adult laughs at the kid but also tolerates him by excusing the kid because a kid is just a kid and he will learn about the truth when he grows up.

The kid in the scenario could be compared with one who says " My religion is the only way" . The adult in the scenario could be compared to the one who has seen the truth.

Hindus who say all paths lead to one are the adults in this scenario and the rest are the kids

So you see,

The religion of Islam can lead to one's realization, when a muslim takes repeated births and finally comes into hinduism or finds a peaceful way to reach God after changing his/her own lifestyle and religious views a tad bit.

when you say that they disagree with our path (hindu path), well you are absolutely right, they do disagree but they will learn. Hindu path has evolved so much due to it is so old , well give those religions a chance to evolve too.

Through Krishna's grace alone, they will be able to evolve. Until then they will make mistakes and learn from them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif