IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
dna

pronunciation, silent a ?

Rate this topic

In words like "Sampradaya", "Arjuna", and "Rama", is the last "a" considered silent? Arjuna for example, sometimes I hear it pronounced Arjun-a and sometimes Arjun.

[This message has been edited by dna (edited 07-13-2002).]

In all cases the last 'a' is supposed to be pronounced when one is using sanskrit words.

In Hindi many of the same words are also present, but without the final 'a'.

Generally we are not refering to Hindi words, so we should not follow related conventions.

Originally posted by jndas:

In all cases the last 'a' is supposed to be pronounced when one is using sanskrit words.

In Hindi many of the same words are also present, but without the final 'a'.

Generally we are not refering to Hindi words, so we should not follow related conventions.

This is right. But become beware that in the Sanskirtic pronounction of Rama the last "a' is not being the same as first "a". It is being shorter and first "a" is being longer. Prpoerly transcripted with dash above the 'a".

One should also be knowing that sylabol with long vowl is getting more stress force when said than the other sylabols.

Also I am hearing my PunditJi pronouciating Vedas and the last "a" is not said when end of recitation. Like if the group of mantras is end with "vidhema" the last of mantras will finish as "vidhem" with uttan or the upward sound for "m".