IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Social Service Ain't So Bad

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In the mundane field the outlook of doing good to others in the form of society, community, family, country or humanity is a partial manifestation of the same original feeling in which a pure living entity feels happiness by the happiness of the Supreme Lord.

- His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Srimad-Bhagavatam 2.3.10

I wish devotees start living simple life and helping the community instead of wasting money in the name of yukta vairagya.

this is interesting, because I am just making money for myself to look after my family, but this work I am doing is not at all helping anyone. I deliver goods in a van

I often thought since I am away from Iskcon and not involved doing any service, if I should take a change of direction and try something like helping others and get an income as well. I would be interested to know what the devotees think about this.

Well, it is always nice to be part of the community you're living in, and being part means also helping those in need. There are so many things one can do (apart from the obvious ones of giving out books/knowledge and prasadam). Helping to clean up the local river is one. Taking part in keeping the streets clean of litter is another. People will feel warm toward us if they see that we like helping others.

I agree with Sarasvati's approach.

pete1, making money to look after your family and guiding them towards Godhead is extremly valuable service.If Krsna gives you more $ without over endeavoring,then fine.

Just see how Krsna has entrusted these souls to be influenced by you towards Him.Not at all a small thing.

Originally posted by ram:

I wish devotees start living simple life and helping the community instead of wasting money in the name of yukta vairagya.

ramji,

What do you mean by "...wasting money in the name of yukta vairagya."?

Originally posted by theist:

ramji,

What do you mean by "...wasting money in the name of yukta vairagya."?

Maybe he is referring to things like sannyaasis who walk around with PDA's, cell phones, laptop computers, etc...

This can be a problem. While it is true that all things can be utilized in Krsna's service, sometimes it can be too convenient of an excuse to live a modern life. Renunciation should be about austerity as much as possible.