IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shivaji

Hinduism & Science - Information needed

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am researching the relationship between Hinduism and Science, but I need your help.

I need information on:

-Hinduism and Einstein's theory of relativity

-Hinduism and Physics

-Hinduism and Medicine

-Hinduism and Surgery

Did you know that (I'm sure you do):

-The speed of light was predicted by Vedic and Puranic texts thousands of years!

-The age of the universe (14 billion years) was contained in Hindu texts

ALSO:

Recent papers published by Cambridge and Harvard physicists have proposed a new theory for the nature of the universe. They postulate that the universe is a series of infinite cycles (consistent with Hindu view), opposite to current theory.

Anyway, I'm in the process of establishing a Hindu website and really need your help. Any articles, links etc on the above topics, particularly Hinduism's links with medicine and Einstein's theory of relativity. I have read somewhere that Hinduism is consistent with the theory of relativity, but cannot remember where i read this.

-The speed of light was predicted by Vedic and Puranic texts thousands of years!

-The age of the universe (14 billion years) was contained in Hindu texts.

Where are these mentioned in the scriptures of Hinduism?

To know the age of the universe, we have to decide what we should consider as the time of the origin of the universe.

Is it the time when the current kalpa started or is it the time when Brahma was born?

Let us consider the first. According to Puranas,

the duration of satya yuga = 1728000 years;

the duration of treta yuga = 1296000 years;

the duration of dwapar yuga = 864000 years;

the duration of kali yuga = 432000 years.

So, the duration of one round of the four yugas = 4320000 = 432*10^4 years.

One kalpa comprises 1000 rounds of the four yugas and there are 14 Manus in one kalpa. So, there are 1000/14 rounds of the four yugas during the time of one Manu. So, the duration of one Manu is 432*10^4*1000/14 or 432*10^7/14 years. Six Manus have already come and gone in this kalpa. We are living in 28th kali yuga of 7th Manu. So, the age of the universe is the sum of the following: -

(a)Duration of 6 Manus i.e. 6*432*10^7/14 years or 2592*10^7/14 years.

(b)Time taken by 27 rounds of the four yugas i.e. 27*432*10^4 years or 11664*10^4 years.

©Time taken by one round of satya yuga, treta yuga and dwapar yuga i.e. 4320000-432000 years or 3888*10^3 years.

(d)No. of years that have elapsed of the present kali yuga. This is approximately 5000 years.

When we add these four, we get the age of the universe as approx. 1971961571 years i.e. approx. 1.97 billion years. This is far less than 14 billion years.

Now, consider the age of the universe to be the no. of years before which Brahma was born. When you calculate, you will get this to be a few trillion years which is much more than 14 billion years.

[This message has been edited by Avinash (edited 06-26-2002).]

Originally posted by shivaji:

-The age of the universe (14 billion years) was contained in Hindu texts

The accurate speed of light finds a mention in the commentary of Rk veda by Sayanacarya [13th century CE]. It is not mentioned in the vedas themselves, but since it finds a casual mention in its commentary, we can assume that the knowledge certainly existed way back, though to assert that it was there for millions of years is difficult. Not impossible either.

Originally posted by Avinash:

What is the value of the speed of light given by Sankaracarya in his commentary?

Avinashji,

It was Sayanacraya not Sankaracarya. The former was a vedic commentator from the karma kanda school who lived in the 13th century CE. Here are the details from the Los Alamos Physics Archive paper:

http://mentor.lanl.gov/PS_cache/physics/pdf/9804/9804020.pdf

If you don't have Adobe acrobat then try to download any other format form the site by visiting this page:

http://mentor.lanl.gov/abs/physics/9804020

34,000th of a Second TO 4.32 Billion Years

India has given the idea of the smallest and largest measure of time.

Krati = 34,000th of a second

1 Truti = 300th of a second

2 Truti = 1 Luv

2 Luv = 1 Kshana

30 Kshana = 1 Vipal

60 Vipal = 1 Pal

60 Pal = 1 Ghadi (24 Minutes)

2.5 Ghadi = 1 Hora (1 Hour)

24 Hora = 1 Divas (1 Day)

7 Divas = 1 Saptah (1 week)

4 Saptah = 1 Rutu ( 1 Season)

2 Mas = 1 Rutu (1 Season)

6 Rutu = 1 Varsh (1 Year)

100 Varsh = 1 Shatabda (1 Century)

10 Shatabda = 1 Sahasrabda

432 Sahasrabda = 1 Yug (Kaliyug)

2 Yug = 1 Dwaparyug

3 Yug = 1 Tretayug

4 Yug = 1 Krutayug

10 Yug = 1 Mahayug(4,320,000Yrs)

1000 Mahayug = 1 Kalpa

1 Kalpa = 4.32 Billion Years

Originally posted by shivaji:

34,000th of a Second TO 4.32 Billion Years

India has given the idea of the smallest and largest measure of time.

Krati = 34,000th of a second

1 Truti = 300th of a second

2 Truti = 1 Luv

2 Luv = 1 Kshana

30 Kshana = 1 Vipal

60 Vipal = 1 Pal

60 Pal = 1 Ghadi (24 Minutes)

2.5 Ghadi = 1 Hora (1 Hour)

24 Hora = 1 Divas (1 Day)

7 Divas = 1 Saptah (1 week)

4 Saptah = 1 Rutu ( 1 Season)

2 Mas = 1 Rutu (1 Season)

6 Rutu = 1 Varsh (1 Year)

100 Varsh = 1 Shatabda (1 Century)

10 Shatabda = 1 Sahasrabda

432 Sahasrabda = 1 Yug (Kaliyug)

2 Yug = 1 Dwaparyug

3 Yug = 1 Tretayug

4 Yug = 1 Krutayug

10 Yug = 1 Mahayug(4,320,000Yrs)

1000 Mahayug = 1 Kalpa

1 Kalpa = 4.32 Billion Years

Very nice post. You have mentioned about Mahayug but not about Satya yuga. Are they one and the same? Is there a book from where I can find more information on the calculations you have provided, especially the ones regarding Krati and Truti. Thanks.

Karthik ji,

Mahayuga is not the same as Satya yuga. Maha yuga is the combination of the four yugas:- satya, treta, dwapar and kali.

the duration of satya yuga = 1728000 years;

the duration of treta yuga = 1296000 years;

the duration of dwapar yuga = 864000 years;

the duration of kali yuga = 432000 years.

So, the duration of one Maha yuga = 4320000 years.

Please note that there are 3 zeros after 432 in the duration of kali yuga and there are 4 zeros after 432 in the duration of Maha yuga.

Dwapar yuga is 2 times, kali yuga, treta yuga is 3 times kali yuga and satya yuga is 4 times kali yuga.

So, one Maha yuga is (4+3+2+1) i.e. 10 times kali yua.

And some people use the terms divya-yuga and chatur-yuga to refer to the same concept of maha-yuga above.

If you want a nice reference for time concepts, refer to Srimad Bhagavatam third canto chapter 11 - "Calculations of time from the Atom". There are some experiments you can do if you really doubt the measurements. But you should have sufficient metal pots, hot needles, leaves, and lakes to conduct them. Posted Image

Karthik ji,

I went through the site mentioned by you. But, in the translation of the verse 1.50.4 of the Rg Veda that I have read, there is no menntion of how much distance Sun covers in a given time interval.

I went through the site mentioned by you. But, in the translation of the verse 1.50.4 of the Rg Veda that I have read, there is no menntion of how much distance Sun covers in a given time interval.

Apparently, this was mentioned by Saayanna in his commentary, and is not actually found in the Rigveda. btw, I have seen this reference to Saayanna, only on the internet and it may very well be bogus.

The more articles I read on the net by *internet scholars* about the greatness of ancient India, the more wary I am of accepting their validity.

Cheers

Originally posted by Avinash:

Karthik ji,

Dear Avinashji,

This is to be found in the commentary of Sayanacarya. A copy of his original manuscript is still preserved [i think in Gwalior] and so any chances of faking are ruled out.

Guest guest

If you are to postulate an estimate age attributed to the universe, based on scientific knowledge and vedic knowledge, and then talk about the infinite cycles of the universe, don't you see your contradiction?

It should be made clear that the estimated age, is the duration of half of a cycle ( a cycle being an expansion and a depression).